The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: New Advertising on the Site  (Read 92 times)

Leanthar

New Advertising on the Site
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:47:01 pm »
As bad as I hated to do it I really have no choice. I have not had any advertising on Layonara for the entire four years it has been up and the two years I had the PnP site online. I don't care for them really. However, I constantly have to pay at least $250 - $350 a month out of my pocket and it is killing the personal bank account. Even with our requests for more donations the problem has not been resolved and only minimally has it improved this month. Some have jumped in and to them I thank you, without you this world would not be online. The advertising is an attempt at being able to recoup some of that money spent on servers, bandwidth and hosting in order to keep these servers up and running.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: New Advertising on the Site
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 02:49:46 pm »
That's absolutely fine, L. You've got a header error atm, though.

Anyway, are the ads racking you money by clicks, or views?

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 02:52:30 pm »
Clicks. But please do not click just to click. Click if you are intersted but not just to click and earn money. That would not be the right thing to do and in the end could get us in trouble.

Fortnight

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:53:55 pm »
    Understandable, it's a tough call to make, I imagine that spreading the resources out a bit isn't really an option either right?
    Like a member hosting the website, forum and LORE for example? I know I have access to really cheap web hosting with unlimited B/W, but letting something like this get out of your direct control might be a problem. like said member gets mad at you and takes the forums offline or something :(

Sorry to see it happen, but it's understandable, I just wish my 17 year old budget could contribute. I've only been here a week and already I'd pay to play here.

Fortnight!

Fortnight

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 03:01:52 pm »
      One question, is there any way to dictate what sort of ads get placed on THIS site? The ones I see up there now are for powerleveling services and gold/platinum purchases for EverQuest, which as a gamer I find completely distatefull, people that offer those services have been banned from advertising in many gaming magazines, and are a huge reason why EQ, WoW, etc, etc all suck.
      Sorry, don;t take this the wrong way, just asking if it's possible to have car ads or something requested.

Fortnight!

Leanthar

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 03:03:24 pm »
      Nope, not really I don't think. Pretty much it is D&D, online gaming, that sort of thing... It is not a perfect art and klaatu will work on tryig to get it right. Just give him time please, he just started working on it.

Fortnight

• View Profile
        « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 03:20:01 pm »
        Leanthar - 7/5/2006  3:03 PM

Nope, not really I don't think. Pretty much it is D&D, online gaming, that sort of thing... It is not a perfect art and klaatu will work on tryig to get it right. Just give him time please, he just started working on it.

That cool, I was just wondering is all, thanks for the quick reply to my question Leanthar.

Fortnight!

jrizz

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 04:13:41 pm »
        good move L

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 09:51:09 pm »
        *cries*  why oh why did i have to get an arts degree...... *wishes he had the salary of his electrical engineering and computer science buddies that can easily cover dropping $400 a month for Layo*

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 09:51:36 pm »
        Personally, I'm kindof enjoying the ads. Well, except fo the pet portraits one.. well, no I enjoyed that to, had me laughing for a good while. But yeah, every now and again something pops up that I'm interested in and I go check it out.

Haven't bought anything yet... but thats mostly due to an accute lack of funds.

darkstorme

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:08:55 am »
        GoogleAds is always the best way to go, anyway.  Usually tasteful, and pretty well-targeted.  And, if you're a GoogleToolbar user, personally targeted! *grins*

Marswipp

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 07:44:41 am »
        Shopping cart software?! Sounds interesting...
        Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Leanthar

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 07:50:25 am »
        I used to have an online store and I received $25.95 in a total of three years, that is after paying out over $150 for the store (over time) and hundreds for the artwork. It was a loss and I will not do it again. I also had amazon here for a little over two years, never made a penny from them. This is a last resort sort of thing.

anything