The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: New Server Status - Complications and Delay  (Read 413 times)

orth

New Server Status - Complications and Delay
« on: October 03, 2008, 03:50:16 pm »
Okay, so yeah, we got a phone call about technical complications for our hosting providers in other areas causing the expected completion of installation to now be slated for Monday, Oct. 6.  This would most likely mean we will not have the modules up until Wednesday or so.

I'm as upset as you about this delay and we're trying to find a means to gather the community together in some other capacity to enjoy their weekend.  While we can host an NWN server on our Linux machine, we can't host Layonara's modules due to the need for the speech system and the dynamic resource system being Windows only.  

We've tossed a few ideas around, there are several modules on the vault we could host on multiple ports for small groups to get together and play or roleplay. We could also host a simple area for those looking to roleplay, but without having your characters, the attachment just won't be there.

I'm open to more suggestions or feedback, but please be aware we don't wish to be spending an insane amount of time setting up something.

Thanks again for your understanding,
orth

The following users thanked this post: Drizzlin, Dorax Windsmith, Hellblazer

Filatus

Re: New Server Status - Complications and Delay
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 03:58:37 pm »
Could always host the sp module, Xora's Vial. :)

orth

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »
Of course that was considered but the programming side was never adapted to multiplayer.  So without a DM along, I think things would end up at a standstill.

lonnarin

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:25:56 pm »
Oldschool PnP using a dice program and IRC.  Before NWN and before MUDs, there was always IRC.

I could also LARP using a Nerf whiffle bat and the neighborhood kids.  Just that the whole plot would revolve around an ogre thumping goblins he found in his cabbage path (front yard).  Too bad the mages with tasers and boomsticks usually come to thwart the ogre after a few calls from the gobbo mommas. :(

Of course, once you delve into the Floridian sewers, hunting old pet gators and rats with a machete and flare gun isn't all that much different than grinding for xp and dragonslaying.  But if you meet some dwarves in light producing helms working on the tunnels, you better have a pretty good bluff score, else they call the mages with tasers and boomsticks again.  Luckily up north you guys have plenty of moose, bears and wild wolves, and actual forrests to go run around in.  All we have here are marshes, sewers and way too much urban development.  All of our groves have been destroyed by Eon and his Wal-Mart Towers.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 04:31:24 pm »
yeah..... not only is Layo down this weekend, but my regular Saturday PnP group isn't meeting this week. I've resigned myself to watching Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. And maybe some old school Starcraft, aside from the normal housework/other projects to do.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:38:46 pm »
im trying to find a space flight Simulator that I can play and get big Capital Ships like Battleships and Destroyers in...  I really just want to fly around some Galaxy destroying all my enemies with some really huge Ship...  >.>

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:51:24 pm »
Well, while the game doesn't necessarily allow you to fly around in super huge ships, Freelancer was an interesting space flight game, if short on the single-player story. You can likely download that game for really cheap these days.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:53:18 pm »
Thats what Mods are for ;)

ycleption

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:59:17 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
 Luckily up north you guys have plenty of moose, bears and wild wolves, and actual forrests to go run around in.

One would think this would make adventuring easy.... but yesterday when I finally got tired of the server being down, I went to the store to pick up a copper longsword, and they told me they were out. I thought, well, maybe this isn't the melee vendor, but I went all around town... finally I decided that I would have to settle for the woodaxe I bought at the hardware store, and figured I'd get a sword at some point as a drop.
Well, I wandered into the woods(where none of those mages live), but it was tricky. There were all sorts of bushes and brambles, (I killed a few vines, but they didn't drop any items or money, so maybe they were npcs...oops?) no clear paths to travel on, and I couldn't find a single AT that might lead me to better areas... I guess reality must be one of these new-fangled "seamless" games. So, I figured I'm low level, so I'd better stick to small animals... but the rabbits wouldn't attack me! they just ran away, even though I -clearly- had a weapon in my hand. I thought that maybe I had gained a level through RP, so they were afraid and I needed to find bigger critters. Somebody else must have been grinding the area though, because it took me hours before I found a deer... and it ran away too! I was a bit frustrated (but hopeful that maybe I had just put more points in intimidate at char gen then I thought I had), so decided to take a break by gathering some wood to craft with later. But none of the trees were glowy, so I wasn't sure which ones I could chop; I tried one at random, but it didn't become little branches and automatically put itself into my backpack. By this time it was night, and finally I ran into something that attacked me - a skunk. I must have made my save, because its attack didn't stun me, although I think I lost a few HP in my nose. But by the time I got my weapon ready and swung, the skunk wasn't there anymore, I think it must have been a server glitch, because we all know how fearsome skunks are once they begin attacking.
Obviously, I should have put more point into Lore (nature) or (astronomy), because I was lost by that point, and spent the rest of the night trying to find my way home... I tried to light a fire and camp there, but my flint and steel just made little sparks instead of a big campfire (and the raw meat I had thrown in my backpack was starting to smell funny anyways).

When I got back, I collapsed in bed, and just now woke up. I didn't run into a single wolf or bear, which is probably a good thing, because it probably would have run away too. I'm thinking about filing in the dispute forum to recreate myself as an archer or mage the next time I can't play Layo, I think that would be a lot easier.

Chazzler

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 06:01:20 pm »
Hehheh, priceless banter :) Made me chuckle

Hellblazer

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 07:26:46 pm »
Well, if someone of the community you trust enough has a good connection speed, he could always host the servers temporarily, but that requires a good amount of trust from the team toward that player.

Dorganath

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 10:07:14 pm »
The asymmetrical nature of most home DSL and Cable connections makes them ill-suited for game hosting.  As well, the throughput of most home-market routers/firewalls also becomes limiting.  Lastly, some ISPs have a "reasonable use" policy that could end up getting the person's account suspended or revoked.

They should be up an running soon enough, so just hang in there everyone. :)

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 10:27:50 pm »
How about just an IC IRC session?  Anyone who wants to could long-on with the Character name.

Lonnarin and Ycleption - Awesome, I'm laughing but at the same time I kinda worry about the sanity level.

Hellblazer

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 10:32:04 pm »
had my computer not blown up I would provide you with my 16mbs connection with no limitation to such issue ( i work for my isp ;) ) Was running a nwn server about 8 month ago, not as big as this one, but with the testing i did in real time, the connection wasn't bad at all.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 10:41:11 pm »
Actually, I've seen MANY server forums offer Forum RP, where you create a thread and players and DMs can RP as their characters.  I've always wondered if we could set up a forum section just for that.  I have a feeling a good number of us would enjoy it.  Think of it as numerous CDT's where instead of them being PC journals, they are actually adventures and such.

Hellblazer

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 04:35:39 am »
Yeah I do that with a couple of friends, I always enjoy it.

Masterjack

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 06:04:52 am »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Actually, I've seen MANY server forums offer Forum RP, where you create a thread and players and DMs can RP as their characters.  I've always wondered if we could set up a forum section just for that.  I have a feeling a good number of us would enjoy it.  Think of it as numerous CDT's where instead of them being PC journals, they are actually adventures and such.

Personally I would like use something like Team speak where you can type and/or use voice. I think it would be great to try and do some Beli impersonations. It would give it more depth then just typing while NWN is down.

I would really like the voice part to be used when NWN is back up. I do not think that will happen since it would be used too much for OOC talk and possibly kill RP in game.

OOOOh what if the MMO had an option for a DM to talk to a PARTY instead of typing. For the DM to set mood and tone for the adventure to come. I wonder if Acacea can talk as fast as she types.

I'll stop here I'm starting to get off topic.

Makashi

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 08:23:57 am »
*grins* Would be nice to have voices - though I wouldn't want to ruin G'orks representation with a british accent. And I wouldn't want to even attempt Ranéwin.

@ Shiff - Theres already sections of the forum to use for RP, I mean there could just be a simple thread set up in the Wild surge section etc - though I would imagine more dwarves than others using that :)

IRC sessions sound like a good idea too, not sure if anyone has in the past but I've used it before to finish up conversations when the server went down and so on.

LordCove

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 08:55:59 am »
I'm afraid if I had to use my own voice for any of my character's... you'd simply hear me giggling down the microphone 90% of the time.

" The Bloody hell was that?!? I aint going in there! Sod that... I'm like outta here now... sod...ya........ *giggling fit* "

Heh. I just couldn't do it.

EDIT: These are... of course... "manly" giggles

Zoogmunch

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 09:17:45 am »
Might be nice if we could create our own voiceset to draw on instead of the standards as two characters I'm Rp'ing with a lot of the  time have the same laugh at present and it freaks me out. In a similar vein I met another dwarf with my laugh so spent 5 mins just laughing at each other.

there's plenty of software out there to do voice alterations. What type of file does the NWN voices use? and could we send to the centre like new portraits? as I really sound like Sir Richard Burton ( with a yorkshire accent that is!) I'd like to be able to hear his dulcet tones do "now for a bit of the game!"

Rockhead Howling Wolf