The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Port Hempstead Blunder  (Read 428 times)

Pankoki

Port Hempstead Blunder
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:15 am »
When I was building Port Hempstead, the tileset that I used had some limitations that did not allow me to represent the city's Crimsom Memorial how I wanted.

In order to work around this limitation, I created some models that would circumvent these problems. Mainly the grass squares that can be seen at the west end of the memorial, and the massive blank space that was in front of the gates.

Myself and with Thak's help, we made some customized models and graphics that gave the city some unique spice. Unfortunately in the rush to release V3, at some point during some transfer of files these updated images were stranded. My local version was working fine, but the version that was uploaded to the server did not have these files.

Thus the city had some serious ugly malfunctions.

During all this time, I was not able to observe this bug, because my local version, had the files needed. However it was not until last night where I heard that there was some rather terrible grass tiles in the city and it felt devoid of flavour. I was confused because I purposefully attempted to fix these issues before the city was ever made.

It is here when I stumbled upon some screenshots that AeonBlues had taken of the memorial, and much to my dismay I saw what everyone else was seeing.

Needless to say, I felt like an idiot.

So with that all said, I feel I must apologize to the community for my blunder, the files that were supposed to be in the hak files are already on their way to Nibor, which will be available in the update that will happen somewhat soon, and all will be better.

Heh... sorry again about all this... I will proceed to find a hole and bury my face in it for a good while now.

Harlas Ravelkione

Re: Port Hempstead Blunder
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:40:48 am »
Come on Pan. You've worked your *** off for the version that was implemented and every new area I have seen has been gorgeous. I have seen things I did not know were possible with NWN, so don't be hard on yourself over this one. We're all humans here and we make mistakes aplenty.

Blackguy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:12:03 am »
Yeah, Ive never noticed anything wrong at that plaze aswell, so I was suprised that others saw it.

But in anycase, I dont think that anyone will hold anything against you, because of the sheer amount of time, brute force, and lack of sleep you out into making V3 come alive. Your still the man. Your a man right? O.o

Leanthar

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:35:24 am »
*smiles and chuckles* See it happens to the best of people and efforts, this is proof! It tends to happen when one is stumbling along with little to no sleep and walking like a zombie *nods sagely*

Really though, I think you had/have enough on your plate and in the grander scheme of things (larger picture) this isn't even a bump in the road.

Kindo

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:51:00 am »
Heh, like others have said, no reason to feel so ashamed of this. I don't even know exactly what went wrong, or what the problem is, but you have done so much already that a little slip-up like this won't be enough reason for anyone to be upset with you. I say, keep up the good work! Your input and efforts are invaluable to this community.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:27:20 am »
Quote from: Leanthar
*smiles and chuckles* See it happens to the best of people and efforts, this is proof! It tends to happen when one is stumbling along with little to no sleep and walking like a zombie *nods sagely*

Really though, I think you had/have enough on your plate and in the grander scheme of things (larger picture) this isn't even a bump in the road.

Repeated for emphasis.

We <3 you Pan. Don't worry about this. Heck, I never even noticed, either.

Laldiien

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:29:15 am »
Pan, 3 words:  "duck-billed platypus".  Even pros miss a beat.  The rest of the world looks fantastic.

Nyralotep

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:56:26 am »
With all the other work you were doing I can understand things getting missed, no need for apologies or feeling bad.  Just a simple honest mistake.  You've done a great job and will continue to do so I am sure.

Falonthas

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:28:21 am »
it was missing something?
now i havent gone everywhere to see everything yet
but one thing i can say is you didnt forget anything that we would notice

but the others said it best
we are all human and as soon as your ready we got a ton of pie for tribs

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:55 pm »
I am glad to hear this! (of course I don't stumble across it until 5 days later.. oh well)

I had been really wondering about it but it was like the emperor's new clothes, no one wanted to say anything about it lol. Anyway.. I hope my semi-subtle comments about the area make sense now ;\

Nyralotep

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 04:22:34 pm »
Having now seen what was left out I must say it is impressive!  very good work!

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 07:10:27 pm »
I never noticed anything "missing" per se from that area.  It reminds me of parts of London or Paris, or some other suitably beautiful and historic city.  That being said, I have even more repsect for you that you strive to better yourself aside from any outside pressures.  That is the mark of a great person in my mind.  So I cannot wait to see the improvements.

P.S. Anyone who asks me where in London or Paris it reminds me of will get a Hell Ball dropped on them.  *looks warily for Neppakyo or Witch-Hunter*