The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Server configuration change -- EVERYONE PLEASE READ  (Read 538 times)

Dorganath

Server configuration change -- EVERYONE PLEASE READ
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:26:05 pm »
Hello all,

I sadly must take some time to inform you all about a change we have to make to the configuration of our game servers.  This change may result in people being unable to log into any Layonara server when Bioware's Master Server is down.

Last night, between the hours of 22:00 GMT Jan. 8th and 00:00 GMT Jan 9th, there were 6 Bioware accounts and characters accessed by someone to whom they do not belong.  This person was able to do this because our server was set to permit logins when the Master Server was down, so that everyone could continue to enjoy Layonara during periods of outage, planned or otherwise, in Bioware's server.  It's a calculated risk, but one which has not caused us any problems in all the years I've been here.  Unfortunately, due to another case of a few (or in this case, one) spoiling things for everyone else, we have made this change to protect the community.

During this period of time, this individual targeted six people and logged on with their characters.  This individual used this access to remove gold from bank accounts and character inventories among other actions.  Two characters were killed while controlled by this individual, one of which died 5 times in 9 minutes and lost 2 soul strands in the process. I am still gathering reports from those players who were affected, but there is also at least one report of item(s) missing from character inventory.

This is disappointing to say the least, and while only six characters were directly affected, this is in fact an assault on everyone in the community.  

After pouring through our database, server logs and forum logs, I am confident in the identity of the person who did this.  I am in the process of banning this individual and once that is done, I will post a follow up for everyone to see.

To close on a positive note, I'd like to thank those players who have been affected by this with their understanding and cooperation.

DMOE

Re: Server configuration change -- EVERYONE PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:34:32 pm »
I'd like to thank the team and Dorgy in particular for how quickly and how well this was dealt with.

If anyone saw and tried to speak to Muireann during the period Dorgy mentioned above and was ignored....Sorry, but I was asleep

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »
I must second DMOE's sentiments

Leanthar

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:50:03 pm »
I think it is a disgusting and vile human trait for individuals (anybody) to do this sort of thing....Though for this person it comes as no surprise to me at all, sadly. I think this individual, deep down, could be a good person, but clearly there are some issues to resolve first in life...as well as some growing up.

I am sorry we have had to go this route due to one sad individual and it does mean the community will not be able to enjoy the world while Bioware/Gamespy is down...nothing we can do about it at this time though.

I will say that the last year has caused me to rethink my whole attitude of let people grow and improve themselves, let mistakes happen so long as one is improving. That has come back to bite us so often in the past few months that it just does not seem like a good thought process any longer. Sorry for that folks.

Sadly, this sort of thing is just what occurs when running online communities and games...you get the really good with the really bad, this one was one of the really bad.

Lynn1020

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:02:40 pm »
So has everyone been contacted that was affected?  

Also your saying that this is someone the community knows?  :(

Mooneyes

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:06:45 pm »
Should we all take a look at our characters? Or do you know which ones were affected?  And Thanks By the way for staying on top of this stuff guys.  I don't mind at all the measures you have to take to stop this and I'm sorry this has taken away time from other things more pressing.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:12:39 pm »
Personally, and this may be just cause I'm too nice, but I'm hoping I don't know this person from somewhere...  I hate finding out or hearing about people I know doing bad things, but I am happy to know you guys are handling this.

I do not like hearing that anything is plaguing this place

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:12:48 pm »
Quote from: Lynn1020
So has everyone been contacted that was affected?  

Yes.
Also your saying that this is someone the community knows?  :(

Yes.

Quote from: Mooneyes
Should we all take a look at our characters? Or do you know which ones were affected?  And Thanks By the way for staying on top of this stuff guys.  I don't mind at all the measures you have to take to stop this and I'm sorry this has taken away time from other things more pressing.

At this time, I have no reason to suspect that any other characters were affected besides the six I mentioned.

bobby1361

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:39 pm »
Good job Team.
I'm glad only 6 were affected (not that im glad they got affected,just not more)