The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Trees in Sielwoods  (Read 463 times)

Bodinec

• View Profile
    Trees in Sielwoods
    « on: February 28, 2005, 08:26:00 pm »
    I HATE HATE HATE the tree in the Sielwood region. When they don't disappear they only make me go GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and then make me want to exit the game and never return. I can understand using them to shorten people view by forcing the camera in low but come on, I have been stuck in more tight spots due to not seeing what was around me because of these tree. Do you do the same thing in cave or dungeons, from what I have seen I have to say no. So then why in the forest? Was it custom made? I would be more then happy to make a replacement tree.

Kethryc

• Followers of Rofirein
      • View Profile
    RE: Trees in Sielwoods
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 08:33:00 pm »
    UM, can't you turn off the "2nd story" stuff or something like that in the options?  You know, somebody did work really hard to make that forest, so you shouldn't be tooo critical up front :)  Especially since they've been here a year and no one else has really complained about them.  We all just get around it with the option or with view changing withthe mouse.  It's all good.

Keth

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:03:00 pm »
    The "second story" of the trees does not dissapear.  Its how that tileset works (and as far as I know its the default bioware "forest" tileset.)  The trick is to zoom in 10-15ft above your character, and angle the camera at about 45-60 degrees from vertical.  Theres a "sweet spot" where you can see pretty well the majority of the time.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:57:00 pm »
    The problem is within the hak itself, with the lack of a '2nd story view'. There simply isn't one. It's a simple oversight by the content team to make it happen.

The other thing I ask you to remember, is a lot of the content here isn't created by the content team, it's taken from the vault, fixed, and modified to fit layo. Give them time, the content team has their plates full, especially with the recent upgrades.

Everyone has felt your pain, and your best bet is as Talan suggested, drop your camera angle useing pgd dwn, and zoom in using the 'up arrow' key. You'll find it easier. 'tab' key is your best friend in those situations.

Variable

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 12:14:00 am »
    It does make it hard to see but there is an angle you need to get the camera at.

I really like the trees, it makes the forest look like a forest and not just a plain with stumps sticking out, like how it looks if you can hide secondstory tiles

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 12:37:00 am »
    I'm not good at math but I will tell you this to maybe help out with see'ing through "most" of the tree's, it doesnt' work for _all_ forests.

When you log in, your camera is set at a default, tap the 'end' key on your keyboard, this will zoom out to the max. If this does not help, now do this:

Zoom in to the maximum your screen can handle (achieved by tapping the 'home' key), now tap the 'pg down' key twice. Your screen view will drop a tiny bit (depending on your lag, if you have to tap it twice to get it to respond, zoom out and place your camera so you're looking at the 'top fo the head' of your character (using pg up/down keys)

Now zoom in again (using the 'home' key) and try tapping "pg down" again, only once. If it works on the first time you will be set, no matter what the the lag. The only thing you need to do in forested areas (on MISTONE AND RILARA ONLY) is use your mouse to scroll to the side to get a clear view. If you're having problems I can only suggest this: MAKE SURE YOUR VIEW IS UNBLOCKED BEFORE YOU TAKE A STEP FURTHER INTO THE AREA.

This will solve MOST of your problems. NOT ALL. On Mistone/Rilara this will solove 90% of your problems, or you can get used to the 1st person style of playing (your best bet since Dregar has caves and forests with canpy's and roofs). You may not see as much, but if you become a "smart" player you will see how much help it can be, and if you play with full gfx, it will give you a new appreciation for the gfx textures the coding team for NWN has put into this game.

Etinfall

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 01:44:00 am »
    I always thought it fit nicely. Wen you are in a dense forest you shou;dnt be able to see far. do what Talan mentioned and deal. I sometimes go through the forests with the camera zoomed up real close and nocked down real far. makes for interesting game play. the forests are thick.

Etin

freemen2

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 02:15:00 am »
    It's a forest, a thick one, you're not supposed to see more then 30 feet away...me likes, hope it doesn't change ;)

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
      • Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 02:31:00 am »
    The only trees I have a problem with are CNR trees, that I accidentally click in the middle of battle.

"Die filthy trolls! And meet your mak- Ooooo! Pecans! *runs to the pecans, ignoring the trolls killing him*"

But I think that is unfixable ... so ... no real complaints here ....

Nephthys Shadow

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 02:36:00 am »
      HAHAHA... Oh yes.. I've been there.. they had an oak tree at some gnolls camp.. Different server mind you, but it was allways fun holding shift to walk then click the tree and run ahead of the party to get shot at with bolts...

But yeah, for those large trees, just zoom in, at about 50% zoom most "Second story" placeable are chopped off. Yes, it bothers me too but hey. Live and learn. Or.. Become a mage and ask trees to not be plot and fireball everything... Maybe, sorry.. I'm odd.

Leanthar

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 05:27:00 am »
      Those forest will not be changing.
        And yes, this is why I did it "...it makes the forest look like a forest and not just a plain with stumps sticking out, like how it looks if you can hide secondstory tiles..."

Bodinec

• View Profile
        « Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 04:08:00 pm »
        I just wanted to see if it was planned or not I kinda do like it once I did move my camera in close. I just wanted to see if they where something others would like to see fixxed. The only reason I brought it up is I DO have a degree in 3D Art. So I do know what it would take to fix it, But since people seem to like it then I will not worry about it anyymore.

To me it was more of a pet peeve as a 3D artist then anything else.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 04:53:00 pm »
        "Die filthy trolls! And meet your mak- Ooooo! Pecans! *runs to the pecans, ignoring the trolls killing him*"

Rotf! Haha I've died so many times from that too, you just said it perfectly there. Hahaha

Personally I don't mind the forests. You can generally position your camera well enough in them to not have to worry about them. That and tab is your best friend.

freemen2

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 02:17:00 am »
        Zhofe - 3/1/2005  11:31 AM
        ..."Die filthy trolls! And meet your mak- Ooooo! Pecans! *runs to the pecans, ignoring the trolls killing him*"....

LOL, thanks for that ;)

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
          • Followers of Toran
          • View Profile
        « Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 03:54:00 am »
        Bodinec is a 3D artist?

Hasn't the content team been looking for a 3D artist to do some things recently?

Just a thought ...

HooD!uM

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 12:23:00 pm »
        dont worry about them treees...ive had the same feelings about them when i first saw them, but u will manage..when ur char is stronger it wont bother you either..you will just plow through whatever is in seilwood easily enough....cant expect L and the team to fix this, they have their soup bowls full atm..

Eight-Bit

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 12:28:00 pm »
        HooD!uM - 3/8/2005  3:23 PM

dont worry about them treees...ive had the same feelings about them when i first saw them, but u will manage..when ur char is stronger it wont bother you either..you will just plow through whatever is in seilwood easily enough....cant expect L and the team to fix this, they have their soup bowls full atm..

Not to mention that it is unreasonable to change a tileset just because people can't zoom and move their cameras around it. I have no troubles at all with the tileset. But I also play a lot of shooter games, and I'm used to not having just one view on an area.

Victor

• Followers of Dorand
          • View Profile
        « Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 06:40:00 pm »

I'm suffering from a crippling amount of lag when I enter the Sielwood and game halting problems in the Broken Forest.  I love the look of this tileset, but is there anything I can do to improve the performance of my machine?  These are the only areas where this problem occurs, so before my character develops a fear of trees, I'd like some advice.

Variable

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
        You could try turning your graphics all the way down and see if that helps.

Dorganath

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
        Try using a higher angle on the camera and turn of sky boxes.

Sielwood is actually a very large area and the trees are quite dense.  If you get the camera angle up to about 35-45 degrees, you should see a noticeable drop in client lag.  I know I do. :)

anything