The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: V3 Testing and Practices  (Read 369 times)

Chongo

V3 Testing and Practices
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:28:53 pm »
As many will have noticed, the past few days have had the planes server live with the new module up for testing.

There may have been some miscommunication in how this is/ was done, and I'd like to clarify the goals, means, and outcome so that there's no confusion.

The major goal of testing a major server alteration is to find bugs.  The secondary goal is to test balancing issues.  Now bear in mind we've had hundreds of area changes or additions, hundreds of item/ creature changes or additions, and generally just a lot of changes.  This breeds bugs.  Additionally, there is a server merge that has happened.  This breeds bugs as well.

So, after the 4 days of testing, which has now been closed, the testers have found about 40 legitimate bugs and offered dozens of suggestions on balance.  Prior to that, there were individual balance tests with a different test group that merely spawned new creature groups in front of them to thoroughly examine balance issues.  This aspect has been going on for about 3 months in a very gradual process.

Why is it important to have a small test group before opening it up to an entire server?  Well, let me give you a good example.  There was a bug with the server merge that was basically limbo'ing characters to a nonexistant server in a way that the only solution was to either have Dorg fix it it, or to have a GM catch them on login, and try to kill them quickly so they could respawn.  I can't really think of a better example as to why testing needs to be done in a closed environment.

In the final testing most of the tests dealt with fairly epic areas.  I selected a group based on class roles, appropriate levels for these tests, and timezone matches.  No additional players or GM's were allowed in since the major idea behind an update is reinvigorating the new and exciting.  

Individual XP was logged at the beginning of testing, and XP returns are currently being dealt with now that testing is over.  Groups weren't allowed to loot, but you'd better believe the nosey ones peeked at drops...and hey, there's a lot of exciting new stuff in there so you can't blame them.  DT's, of which there were many, are being returned.  This is only fair since, for one, there is little reward in testing, and two, half the deaths were bug related and the other half are due to them being forced into CR 34 areas with just 4 people level 30 and under.  Which was at least humorous to watch.  O.o

Being part of a test group has advantages and disadvantages.  A typical advantage folks will point out is that they get to see everything first.  I'd like to offer the major counter to that, which is that while they see everything first, it's not as natural as seeing it in the actual game, it is typically riddled with disruptive bugs, and they basically aren't doing it on their character's own terms.  Which is a major downer in my opinion and something I have always disliked since it can steal a good bit of the magic out of it.

Anyhow, many thanks to the testers.

The following users thanked this post: EventHorizon, miltonyorkcastle, Pseudonym

jrizz

Re: V3 Testing and Practices
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:42:49 pm »
Well I would say thank you to the testers for giving up the fun and excitement of exploring new areas and meeting new challenges so that the rest of us can enjoy a mostly bug free playing experience.

Next, CR 34!! there are like 5 PCs 30th and over and most of then just got there. Please post big signs that say dont go here or you will die LOL.

s0ulz

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:06:43 am »
Quote from: jrizz
Well I would say thank you to the testers for giving up the fun and excitement of exploring new areas and meeting new challenges so that the rest of us can enjoy a mostly bug free playing experience.

Next, CR 34!! there are like 5 PCs 30th and over and most of then just got there. Please post big signs that say dont go here or you will die LOL.

This might be a minor spoiler, but some signs do exist - some are wooden, some are stone, and some are even much more grotesque. Keep your eyes open and you'll be fine for the most part.

And they all pretty say what you wanted to, without the acronyms though :p

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:38:47 am »
Just keep those speed and invisibility potions handy for when you need to flee :p

Chongo

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:40 am »
I think people relearning to look at the PC messages that jump up on your combat log screen will be the best for avoiding bad stuff.  There's a lot of those in there, everything from 'there seem to be scout towers set up in the trees ahead' to the more obvious 'you sense an overwhelming power ahead' to the wildly obvious 'you immediately regret your decision'.

Marswipp

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 08:57:37 am »
Server messages!
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Gulnyr

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:29:55 am »
Quote from: Marswipp
Server messages!

For some reason, I imagine this to be a plain-text version of something much more vibrant and exciting, in a Batman TV series sort of way...

Marswipp

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:23:38 am »
O.o I don't think I've seen that before...
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Gulnyr

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 12:09:12 pm »
Well, either I was wrong in thinking it was a viral, incurable meme, or I was right and you were just infected.

POW!