The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Layonara RSS Feed  (Read 167 times)

Rasterick

Layonara RSS Feed
« on: March 03, 2006, 06:18:42 am »
How easy would it be for Layonara to have its own RSS feed? ( http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html ). This could take the form of Selected items of news from the forums, Daily quests available or even new articles posted on the forum.

Leanthar

Re: Layonara RSS Feed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:21:17 am »
This could be really cool, and in game newpaper of sorts posted on the forums or something... I just browsed it so am not sure of all of the possibilities but it looks really neat.

Rasterick

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 08:29:57 am »
If like me, people keep looking at the forums during the day, clicking on 'new' to see what has been added or updated. theis could make thinhgs easier to keep up to date. I could see the RSS feed providing on a users desktop; (Platform independant of course, with an appropiate news reader) a stream of data that is periodically refreshed that provides links to the originating page. So a user can be kept abreast of whats happening on the forums without the need to keep clicking 'new'.

This could also be spiced up wth world news, events and calendar entries etc.

Here is a mock up I put together, using my Miranda IM to read the RSS feed.

Clicking on any of these popups will launch your browser and direct you to the appropiate forum page. Of course there are lots of RSS news readers available: Mozilla has an extension that works quite well.

OneST8

RE: Layonara RSS Feed
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:38:35 am »
There is an RSS feed for the forums though it's been disabled.

By the time NwN2 comes out (and Layonara migrates) LORE will have RSS feeds for all of it's services along with additional feeds that tie into the forum's DB.

Love the RSS (and use it every day myself) but it's just not a coding priority yet.

Rasterick

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:29 am »
I will one day come up with of something that you have'nt already thought of OneSt8  :)

Your one step ahead of me; must be the different time zones.