The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Merge player and GM calendar  (Read 306 times)

Pen N Popper

Merge player and GM calendar
« on: February 08, 2006, 03:50:30 am »
I would like to see the player and GM calendars merged into one.  My thinking is that the GM calendar gets more visibility (due to the obvious benefits of being involved in a GM quest), and that the player events would get better visibility by being seen side-by-side with them.

Thanks!

Dorganath

RE: Merge player and GM calendar
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 05:31:15 am »
The problem with that is then the player and GM events will get confused. Also, with 40-60 scheduled GM-led events on the calendar each month, adding player events to that mess would actually obscure player-led events more rather than give them greater visibility.

Leanthar

Re: Merge player and GM calendar
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 05:35:42 am »
What Dorg stated.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 05:37:01 am »
Could make them different colors perhaps?  I'll think on it; maybe something on LORE.

Dorganath

RE: Merge player and GM calendar
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 05:57:31 am »
I may be wrong here, but I'm not sure that we have much control over how the calendars function, so making things different colors may be beyond what we can do easily.
  LORE will likely eventually encompass all the functions of the forums in addition to what it's doing right now, but as LORE is pretty much a custom thing, it will take some time. However, my gut feeling is that player and GM calendars will still be separate because of the whole clutter aspect. That said, come up with some super suggestion and I'm sure it will be considered.

Harloff

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 06:06:21 am »
If these things should be presented on the same calander I think two boxes are needed for each date e.i.

date             : #
------------------------------------------------
gm quest      : return of the jedi
-------------------------------------------------
player event : union of george and barbara

hmm... I don't know if this illustration helped one bit....

Filatus

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 06:18:33 am »
If these things should be presented on the same calander I think two boxes are needed for each date e.i.

date : #
------------------------------------------------
gm quest : return of the jedi
-------------------------------------------------
player event : union of george and barbara

hmm... I don't know if this illustration helped one bit....

Nope, it didn't. :P

Anyway, we finally have those very handy buttons in the lower left corner of the screen to switch. That works fine for me. And I think there should be a very clear difference between player run quests and GM led quests. First of all, you don't get quest xp for player run quests and a lot of the time there isn't even a GM leading the events. It's the players that make it happen.

Next to this, there is also the fact that every player can make use of the player calendar, so there is the risk that things get cluttered if you post it all on one calendar.

EDIT: *suddenly looks up to Dorganath's post* Ehm.. yeah, basically what he said.

Rasterick

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 06:56:36 am »
I agree, merging the two would make for a very cluttered view. A possoible option, and I beleive not to difficult to implement, would be to have a link on each day, that when selected, would show the corresponding day from the other calendar.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 08:54:19 am »
Before there was a player event calendar, player events just got put on the GM calendar and as Dorgie and L said, it got obscured.  Either people would come expecting it to be a GMed quest or just not really see it.   I would say the way it is now, is better than the way it was then.  But yeah, not to say that if someone has a super idea that there couldn't be something better still.

-TV

anything