The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Regarding the druid yearly meeting in Druid Information  (Read 252 times)

Shiokara

Regarding the druid yearly meeting in Druid Information
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:11:32 pm »
//Lore States, "An annual meeting is held on each of the six major locations on Layonara. During that meeting druids are shifted from position to position or dismissed entirely. From this annual meeting another meeting is held on Dregar for the East and West branches to plan and socialize. After that meeting the two leaders of each branch then travel to the Great Oak to meet and update the Hierophant."

And before that, "Besides their connection to nature, the one thing that unifies this diverse population is the complex, and highly secretive, druidic political order. Each druid has a place within this order, and this place is negotiated and re-established at annual meetings somewhere on Dregar and in more frequent local gatherings. It is said that there is an Arch-Druid, a sort of druidic administrator, who serves as the central unifying agency. His presence in a druid’s life is far less tangible than a High-Druid, who may be the representative of a local grove or forest. These posts are more formal in nature than functional, however, as the connectivity between druids and all living things is the true source of all druidic organizing."

I've interested myself with this topic, but I realized something recently. 1 year on the Layonara calendar according to the Time Conversion page is 22 days, 9 hours, and 36 minutes.

I understand this meeting to be one of the important factors in organizing the druid hierarchy, something I've been considering doing lately, but meeting once every 22 real-life days seems a little too often to me, especially since one can only propose a CDQ once every three months.

How can we evaluate the positions of each druid within the hierarchy if there is not even enough time to further develop one's character from the last meeting? Indeed, it seems there can be cases where even two or three druidic meetings will occur before one can continue to make noticeable changes in the world.

I have to admit, I would like to start making these meetings Player initiated events with DM involvement (that way everyone gets a say in who's moving where in the hierarchy as it appears to me the Druid commune works), but I could never expect such a thing to be set up once every 22 days.

This is an attempt to help bring the druid community to life, in a sense. Right now, it would appear that these meetings where "druids are shifted from position to position or dismissed entirely" are shadowy affairs that none of us are really involved in. I feel like an opportunity is being missed here.

The easiest fix, in my opinion, would be to reduce the frequency of the druidic meetings to say once every three or four years.

Another possible fix would be to change the times in such a way that Layonara time is only slightly closer to our time. This would be very problematic, however, as I seem to recall past concerns about being able to walk huge distances in a short amount of time, and this second fix would only increase that issue.

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Hellblazer, ShiffDrgnhrt

Dorganath

Re: Regarding the druid yearly meeting in Druid Information
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:50:22 am »
Just a couple quick comments here...

Changing how time passes in-game really isn't an option. It messes with too much and it's just not a good plan at this point.

Regarding these meetings in general, I think it somewhat inaccurate to use the term as "shadowy" and exclusionary, the latter at least in implication. At least for now, it can be assumed that these meetings have and do occur with said regularity, but at them, no PC druids have advanced or have been removed, though that's not to say some others have not.

I personally would like to see more active organizations like the Druidic Order, and I would like to see it be more living and breathing, with the fun double-meaning firmly in place there.

However, in complete fairness, I need to point out that many of the faiths also have annual (or potentially more frequent) meetings, observances and events, and they're no more or less deserving to have such attention given.

So what am I saying?  Nothing, at this point. *winks*  It's an indication of a challenge we (the GM Team) need to address in some way though without being overly burdensome to anyone and without significantly favoring one group over another.

anything