The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 2 ideas...  (Read 320 times)

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
2 ideas...
« on: May 24, 2006, 11:40:02 pm »
yes that's right, 2 ideas IN ONE TOPIC, anyway. both these were more or less in the old PW i used to play and while Layo is waay better, these 2 things are probably the only good things the old one had that layo don't

Idea 1:

Political Intrigue. At my old server, there was a lot of this, but most of the servers population didn't knwo cos it was a seecrt kinda thing. What i can't see is how every single town, fort and city get along so well, as well as whoever leads them. What I'd like to see is some power hungry major or antyhing like that to cause some tension between towns or something. This would ge tsome awsome RP situations and plenty of gossip.

Idea 2:

Aggressive Creatures. Using Hlint as an example, it is virtually surrounded be different tribes of creatures. They always stick to the same places though, I'd think the red light goblins would get very annoyed at the constant stream of adventurers coming out of Hlint. Don't you think they'd get fed up and attack it or something? It'd be fun to and give a taste of war to all those lower lvl PC's. This could apply to any town really.

Discuss at will

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Re: 2 ideas...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:48:44 am »
That would be a fun idea for a random quest i think, the goblins attacking hlint that is... maby a GM will pick it up and play with it a bit...

Weeblie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:18:03 am »
Well... Happened once that the Lizardmen attacked Hlint, so... :)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:21:00 am »
The problem with the "surrounding creatures attack hlint" scenario is that chances are theres a level 15 a level 18 and an epic sitting around in hlint which leads to the attack being repelled rather quickly.

But yeah, these sort of things have happened before, but its not scripted into the monster AI or anything.

As a side note, I've seen a lot fewer spontaneous events in the past months than I did oh, a yearish ago.  Keyword being "seen", so they might be happening, I don't know.

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:27:25 am »
Talan Va'lash - 5/25/2006  8:21 PM

The problem with the "surrounding creatures attack hlint" scenario is that chances are theres a level 15 a level 18 and an epic sitting around in hlint which leads to the attack being repelled rather quickly.

well the way to fix that is to

A: for the higher levels to be nice and do somethign else, e.g "I'll go watch the other gate."

B: forthe DM's to provide a distraction for the higher lvls e.g, an attack by stronger mosters at a diff gate

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:51:56 am »
Well, and then there's the other half of the problem - a few hapless new arrivals, not even kitted out yet, get chunked by the Orcs from the forest, even as the other residents rush to the rescue.  Realistic, yes, but kinda takes the "safe haven for newbies" out of Hlint.

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:02:13 pm »
Well, they get no penalty for dying rememeber. And it dosen't JUST have to be Hlint, whererver there is PC's to defend.

stragen

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 01:01:18 am »
Weeblie - 5/25/2006  7:18 PM

Well... Happened once that the Lizardmen attacked Hlint, so... :)

Sounds like a job for 'The Terror of Lizards'

http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21968&posts=31&start=1

LordCove

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 10:43:23 am »
I must say....the idea of a Siege on Hlint sounds great. Just the other day a few shades appeared, and it had everyone RPing great. If this were done, would be cool to give notice to those in Hlint ....ie... a warrior enters the gate, advising all to prepare for battle, giving low-levels a chance to prepare ( or hide). Then drop some strong enemies at one gate ( West side) for highlevels to deal with, and weak enemies at another for the low-levels.
Would be a great RPing chance, and to finish it off, place a few extra enemies in the Red Goblin caves, and those involved could assault rhe place for more fun.

Im not sure how GMing works, but I wouldnt have thought it would take much to arrange. Just dropping a few monsters here and there.
But hell......its your world, I just live here.

ZeroVega

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 11:54:46 am »
Speaking as a former GM, you have to remember that with 40-60+ quests being run per month, and CDQs, and ECDQs, and Plot quests, and Quest Writeups after every quest, and setting up before a quest, and the planning and fiddling around with the GM Tools before a quest, and the cleaning up afterward, and helping players on the forum an in game... plus keeping up with the forum by answering questions and joining in on discussions on the GM forum and throwing your two cents in on Development projects, it is a very busy job, and to be a GM you HAVE to play as well. (At least it was a requirement when I was a GM: They didn't want GMs falling away from the players. Sorta wanted them to be able to relate I suppose.) By the way, that sounds like a full day's work doesn't it? Well, it's just their volunteer work, they have real lives too... yeesh (I know it's scary)

It's all very time consuming. When I did spur of the moment things, they were short. Usually just RP sessions with random NPCs, or small jobs. Quite frankly, unless you have several hours or an entire day that's not busy (that you thought was going to be busy), "long" spontanious quests are difficult to pull off. And I know the instant thought is, "It would only take one or two hours to attack Hlint with some goblin tribes." But again, speaking as a GM (and player) it never ends there. People go an investigate. They run off in a million directions and expect you to keep up with them. And then there are times when your plans totally fall to pieces because... woops... no one's in Hlint.

Trust me on this one fellas, GMs never have nothing to do, if they do and they decide NOT to get ahead on real life stuff, they'll make it worth your while in game. This post may have sounded rude but it wasn't meant that way. Just pointing out the reasons that you may not have seen anything like this. And no, this wasn't meant to scare off anyone considering to be a GM. It was harder for me because I don't have all the liberties of being an adult (Eg: No parents telling you what to do), so it is easier for some than others.

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 06:09:29 pm »
Well just a suggestion here, why not recruit some GMs purely dedicated to "spur of the moment" quests?

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 06:50:45 pm »
_M_O_B_ - 5/26/2006  9:09 PM

Well just a suggestion here, why not recruit some GMs purely dedicated to "spur of the moment" quests?

I have an answer, even though I agree totally.

The reason they don't... Well... It's because they do. They hire more DMs all the time, and that's a long, intensive process. They also have to make sure the people know what they're doing, that they're in good standing with the community, and have the time and dedication to actually do it. Those few DMs that make it through the process end up working behind the scenes, on CDQs, and as helpers to the other DMs, just to keep up with the ever-increasing workload of each individual DM.

When they get more DMs, they can't really spare them solely for "on-the-spot" quests, because they'll have work to give them on other things. If there's time enough to run an on-the-spot quest, why do they need another DM, after all?

Good DMs are notoriously hard to come by.

Leanthar

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 06:54:46 pm »
@Stephen Zuckerman  Yep, spot on with that last post.

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 07:07:35 pm »
Ok I understand a lot better now lol, but no one really said anything about my other idea

Idea 1:

Political Intrigue. At my old server, there was a lot of this, but most of the servers population didn't knwo cos it was a seecrt kinda thing. What i can't see is how every single town, fort and city get along so well, as well as whoever leads them. What I'd like to see is some power hungry major or antyhing like that to cause some tension between towns or something. This would ge tsome awsome RP situations and plenty of gossip.

^^would this be possible? i'd gladly help write up some bios or such for some political figures and such as i've got heaps of spare time that i don't do anything every second weekend (no computer capable of playing NWN)

Leanthar

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 07:09:26 pm »
@MOB, Stay tuned for NwN2.

As to writing stuff up like that... do a few and send it to edtheket and see what happens. If you do this though be sure to understand that all or none may be accepted. You need to work carefully on making sure it works within the Layonara framework and ideas and it is well written.

Leanthar

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 07:15:22 pm »
Also, excellent post Zerovega... As you already know you are exactly right with that post.

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 07:22:07 pm »
Leanthar - 5/27/2006  12:09 PM

@MOB, Stay tuned for NwN2.

As to writing stuff up like that... do a few and send it to edtheket and see what happens. If you do this though be sure to understand that all or none may be accepted. You need to work carefully on making sure it works within the Layonara framework and ideas and it is well written.

sure i'll give it a go, how else am i going to kill more hours than i can count on my fingers

anything