The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A change in weapons and magic, lore etc learning curve  (Read 490 times)

Hellblazer

A change in weapons and magic, lore etc learning curve
« on: June 01, 2006, 09:31:19 pm »
I do not know how many ppl here have plaied morowind but the way they made it as you gain more experience and eficacity in your weapons, magic, lore etc was by using them.  I wonder if such a system could be applied to NWN as an other aproach to gaining experience beside the usual xp given to you by kills or completed quest.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: A change in weapons and magic, lore etc learning curve
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 09:51:25 pm »
We work off of the D&D3.5e base system, with a few minor tweaks to fit Layo. We don't use spiffed-up FF2 rules.

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 10:30:31 pm »
I know I was just seing if this could be something of an interest ot you modders?

crazedgoblin

RE: A change in weapons and magic, lore etc learning curve
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:17:36 am »
morowind is a very cool game in its own right but, it just isent layo :D

Schmack

• Followers of Folian S'pae
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 03:46:40 am »
Hmm... it would be cool to see something like that in layo... i'm guessing you mean where you get experience and levels for the more you use things... i think that's how it works... i had to uninstall my copy to make room for all the layo files... *mumbles* stupid 20GB harddrive...

But in morrowind, the stat increases are really only there so you become more proficient with each weapon, and you progress towards stat increase by hitting things with said weapon, which, if you think about it, is pretty much the same with layo, you get exp for damaging things, and at levels, if you want to become more proficient with weapons, you take the feats (eg. weapon focus, improved crit. etc.).

Also, I think you already get experience from the CNR crafting system thing already

Edit:
Just dug out my MW booklet thing at had a quick look at the stats, same thing as I said with the weapons applies to magic, where you would put feats in things like spell focus, quicken, empower spell etc. (same with bows aswell)
 Things such as the attributes (health, magicka, fatigue etc.) would be represented by the stats in nwn.
 And things like the security, mercantile, speechcraft would be represented by the skill points in nwn (pick lock, appraise, persuade etc.)

So really, the morrowind system isn't all that different to NWN, it just goes about it in a different way.
 I hope that made sense... it did in my mind... :/

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 05:46:19 am »
Something like this would be interesting, but it would also require us to code around the built-in game mechanics and make a system that was more complex and certainly laggier. In Morrowind, the system of improving/gaining experience is built into the game engine. In NWN a different system exists. We'd have to do it in script if we wanted it, and script is always slower.
  As has been pointed out, in a way, NWN already does allow one to improve by using their skills, though it's more a general improvement, not a targeted one.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:50:23 am »
FYI... There is a PW out there with a system like this.  It is "classless" and every skill, feat, etc. has to be learned.  It is an obviously huge undertaking to code something like that.

Imagine having to roll a certain number of 20s during combat in order to learn enough to gain a +1 AB.  No more XP, levels, etc.  Can you imagine that?  What do you think the playing style would be like?

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 06:03:34 am »
Pen N Popper - 6/2/2006  10:50 PM

FYI... There is a PW out there with a system like this.  It is "classless" and every skill, feat, etc. has to be learned.  It is an obviously huge undertaking to code something like that.

Imagine having to roll a certain number of 20s during combat in order to learn enough to gain a +1 AB.  No more XP, levels, etc.  Can you imagine that?  What do you think the playing style would be like?

it'd be really random that's what

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 07:14:42 am »
Well I see that this has spiked a god convo.  I totaly agree that most thing link weapons magic lore xp are gain while using it or in fact succes role dice, but there is this one thing I really got curious about.  When I was plyaing morrowing I gain experience in acrobatic by jumping around.  In fact I gain so much experince because while I was going into places I was always jumping my way around.  It was quite funny as my acrobatc skills where so high and my thers skills so low in comparasion lol.  After that when I was tired of always pressing my spacee bar, poor thing was getting killed from the 3k + hit i gave it in a few days, I just ran every where and then it was my athletic skills that got improve.  Those one where not diced and I know that some of the skills rogue and ranger use could be apply as such.  Like for instance the more you hide, the more you would get at hiding not having to put points into it would be logical at least thats what I think. What do you guys think about that one.

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 07:45:48 am »
Gaining skill points due to use of said skills would make characters somewhat unbalanced and not to mention illegal in the eyes of the game engine (and thereby unable to log in). NWN (and D&D rules too) limits how high skill points can go for a given character's level.
  In some systems, there is no "leveling" as such, there is only a steady progression. In NWN/D&D, however, progression happens when one's XP gets to a certain point. This is so built into the system that it becomes very difficult to do things another way.
  Also, your example of acrobatic skills increasing by just jumping everywhere kind of underscores the problem with such a system. Rogues, Rangers and Monks might go everywhere hidden, or do a lot of hide/unhide cycles just to imrove their skills. Mages might just sit in a safe rest area and cast buff spells to increase their spellcraft or whatever.

Hellblazer

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 10:13:35 am »
Well for the spell or combat you hat to acutaly use it on stuff for them to work as in nwn you would get some hitpoints witch would be tranfer into experience but I did not start this thread as to we should change but to see how this community would see this.  I know it poses a technical problem to it and no where do I think that it is worth the trouble but I wanted to see the diferent point of view on this subject.

darkstorme

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 10:27:11 pm »
The D&D mechanics are not necessarily the best, but the scaled EC system makes grinding more difficult - if there were a system which allowed for stat increase based on use of skills/abilities/spells, first of all, it would have to be fairly random, which seems unfair, and secondly, would lend itself to grinding in a safe area to boost your stats, and thus run into some of the problems that plague other MMOs.

More importantly, under AD&D 2nd Ed. rules, thieves got experience for disarming traps, which was unbalancing because it was a source of XP unavailable to other classes.  Similarly, class-unique skills would allow certain classes advantages in a use-based experience system.

So while Morrowind is, I'm sure, an entertaining game, the refined mechanics of 3.5ed serve NWN well, and the edition is certainly one of the better gaming systems.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 11:08:34 pm »
NWN uses D&D 3rd edition rules.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 12:47:38 am »
NWN2 will use D&D 3.5e.

anything