The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A God of Death  (Read 271 times)

Eight-Bit

A God of Death
« on: July 08, 2005, 04:03:00 pm »
I've wondered quite a lot why Corath is the God of Death. Death, with Corath as the caretaker, seems to be a dreadful thing, where there is nothing to look foward to but suffering and a morose attitude from all your other freshly-dead friends. This is why I wanted to make a suggestion for a God. It's out there, but I believe it will be something that will add a whole new layer of roleplaying to Layonara. Necromancy would become a divine art, with more conflict about them. Corath would still use the Undead, but the God I am suggesting would hold domain over Death. And while Corath uses the Undead, the Undead are still a reminder of the power of the God of Death.

I wrote it up like all the other Gods. I hope you like the idea.

Aliases: God of the Dead, Silent Lord of the Netherworld, Keeper of the Dead.
Race: None
Alignment: TN
Worshippers: All
Cleric Alignments: NG, TN, NE, LN, CN
Domains: Death, Knowledge, Earth, Trickery
Clerics of The Silent Lord must combine the Death domain with one of the other domains.
Governs: Death, Undeath, Necromancy, Afterlife, Spirits

Description:
The Silent Lord himself is never seen by mortals in the mortal realm. If they were to behold his true form with their own eyes, their soul would flee their body instantly, leaving them dead. His followers, however, if fortunate enough, are brought to his presence in the Netherworld at times, and are safely able to look upon him there. For the most part he communicates through a messenger, the Angel of Death. The presence of The Silent Lord is usually prewarned by darkness filling the skies, rain, and the voices of spirits filling the area.

Dogma:
Teach, prepare, and assist others in the passing into Death. Let them know that there is no fear, for soon they will be one with The Silent Lord. Maintain the Order of Life, to Death. And know, that while your corpse may walk again after your service has ended, you will forever be one with The Silent Lord. Spread the word of the Silent Lord; 'In the end there is only Death.'

Clergy Favored Weapon and Clothing:
The Clergy of the Silent Lord wear often dark colored clothing. Often black, and brown, with a trace of bronze, silver, or gold depending upon their purpose in the Temple. A ring of the same metal is often worn, set with a black onyx. Bronze often represents the morticians, and expresses the subtle beauty of shedding the mortal temple. Silver, worn by the caretakers of the dead, represents the moon under which the dead walk. Gold, which is rarely worn, carries a certain honor that is kept within the temple. Those of the Clergy who are nearing their natural deaths are often wearing gold to signifiy their wisdom in this domain. It is one of the highest honors, other than being granted Undeath, that one could find in the Temple.
Weapons, while not often needed, are most often simple in their natures. Staves, clubs, maces, and others of this type. The followers of the Silent Lord see murder as an interruption of the natural order of life to death, yet when necessary will accept it as their responsibility to do so.

Clergy and Temples:
Where ever there is Death, there is the Silent Lord. His Temples are often small, found in the bedrooms of gravekeepers. But in every city, there is the Silent Lord. His temples are seen with an aura of fear, and misunderstanding. The actions of Corath, and his corruption of the Undead, have caused there to be little differention between the two. And often times these temples are ignored, passed by without another glance.
Hidden somewhere on Xantril there is a great Cabal, often known as the Corprusarium. It is said that at one time all of the dead upon Layonara passed through this point, before finding their place on the Planes.

Clerics of the Silent Lord pray at three points of the day. Dawn, Noon, and Dusk. These three times of the day represent the three stages of life; birth, growth, and death, and as such the prayers they make will be based upon the time of day.

Religious and Holy Days are based off historical occurances. Great instances of death became Holy Days; wars, massacres, and times of great murder. These are days that are considered Holy, as they are an ever present reminder of the power of Death.

The Temples of Aeridin and the Silent Lord hold a very strong alliance, as they both are examples of the natural order of Life and Death. Their alliance is nearly unbreakable, and the respect between the two temples, even if they do disagree on may aspects of their faith, is adamantium.
Allies and Enemies:
Allied: Aeridin
Friendly:
Neutral: Corath, Dorand, Aragen, Xeen, Rofirein, Lucindia, Katia, Goran, Deliar, Toran, Mist, Az'atta, Prunilla, Vorax, Sulterio, Pyrtechon, Shadon, Branderback, , Baraeon Ca'Duz, Vierdri’ira, Grand, Ilsare, Lucinda, Katia, Kithairien, Shindaleria, Beryl, Folian S'pae, Grannoch
Unfriendly:
Enemy:

muaddib

RE: A God of Death
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 04:06:00 pm »
Ok that is really cool if they make it like that and i make a necro one day he is going to be its god.

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »
I always thought that Aerdin would handle natural death ... afterall, death is the natural end of life.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
Zhofe - 7/8/2005  7:07 PM

I always thought that Aerdin would handle natural death ... afterall, death is the natural end of life.

Yes, but if you look at Aeridin's Domains they do not list death. Corath is the only one who governs that domain. And from how it's RPed, he is just a collector of the Dead. You know?

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »
There is no real god of Death as you wrote him out, because of this:
  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4249&posts=4

General_Ski

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »
    Uh. I don't know about worshipping deah. Certainly necromancers do, but for reasons of power... After all undeath, opposes death to a large extenth. Undeath is unnatural continuation of life, or rather a distorted image of such... Aeridin can handle the dead just fine. As long as it's part of natural cycle of life. Undeath however, properly sounds like Corath's prerogative at least to me. There is no such thing as a good lich or necromancer, nor a neutral one...

Eight-Bit

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
    EdTheKet - 7/8/2005  7:17 PM    There is no real god of Death as you wrote him out, because of this:
      http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4249&posts=4

Word, Ed. :) Just filling up a boring, rainy afternoon. It's too bad the Soul Mother can't be worshipped for Divine or Arcane spells.

EdTheKet

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
    It's too bad the Soul Mother can't be worshipped for Divine or Arcane spells.

Not for spells, but maybe some morbid character would 'just' worship her. I remember Zizz had a character obsessed with the Soul Mother and wanting to hunt her down.

anything