The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: a question, or an idea . . .  (Read 288 times)

a question, or an idea . . .
« on: November 08, 2005, 08:34:00 am »
I had asked a question in the general forum concerning quests/etc./calendar events for lower level characters, I was told by one person to search the calendar and look for them. I had, which prompted my question (both DM & Player). Which leads me to this, the player guide and the pdf on Layonara is wonderful, but this is an ever-growing, expanding game and PC events/storylines are adding to the main plotlines of the game. As a new player, I feel sort of "left out" people are talking about events, etc. that I have no idea about, and I ask and am sometimes answered or sometimes ignored (people have been helpful on the most part and I thank you all). Is there perhaps a way that a weekly information/Event/Adventure could be set up for the newer players to get them used to the game environment? That's all, just wondering . . .

SquareKnot

RE: a question, or an idea . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 02:10:00 pm »
I've been thinking about this same thing, and considering a solution. I'd like to propose a player led event to be held about every two weeks. While not limited to them, it would be targeted at about 4-8 players level 1-7. It would be between Monday-Thursday weeknights, and would have a schedule something like this:

45 minutes: Discussion of current events, chance to role play, set up deals for CNR, gear, etc
            Ask questions about game basics, NPC quests, where to find eggs, whatever
            Ask those questions people on the forums tell you to "Ask someone in-game"
            Set up the evening's adventure (could be an NPC quest that people need to complete, but could be a plot a player has thought up)
            Maybe, occasionally, a GM could place a few creatures or posess a villager to set up the "quest" or something

1 hour: Adventure together, walking places (not running, though exceptions could be made)

15 minutes: When night falls, the group would stop and gather by the campfire, giving more quality role play time

1 hour: More adventure, complete the evening's activity

15 minutes: Wrap up of what happened, share the loot, make plans for next week

Of course, these things can't be run by an agenda, but this gives an idea of what I have in mind. I'm willing to run the first few, and if we continue, then other players could be "event leader for the night" and have the group do something specific for their character's development.

People will probably look at this and say "but that's what happens on Layonara every night, so how is this different?" Well, in these ways:

It would be scheduled about a week in advance, so people who are time limited could plan on it a little more
It would be guaranteed to be open and accepting of, even custom made for, new players and their questions/needs

How is this different from GM quests?
It would have little or no GM involvement (but a little now and then wouldn't be turned away...)
If you miss a week, no problem, since it wouldn't be a continuing, tightly integrated quest
It would be targeted for low level characters, which most quests are not

Once people find their footing in the world, they could graduate and go their own way, making room for the even newer players.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

If people are interested, I'll set up the first one.

Bryantiza

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
    being monday to thursday evenings, thats different for everyone in different time zones, so what your suggesting would have to be held at least twice so that everyone can get to it on a evening. I would say if any time at all, a weekend would be best as you then have most of the day to decide on the best time for everyone.

Leanthar

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
    I am all for this being a player run event and I think it will be a great thing.  GM's have tried to do this but due to a limited number of GM's (though clearly we have a lot--but a whole lot more players) and our time slots we could not get more than a few sessions to stick. The sessions that were run did work out well and helped a lot at the time.  So yes, please do have this sort of thing happen and let it be player run and via the player event calendar.

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 02:45:00 pm »
    Continue to ask around if you are interested in what is going on in the world. Some people might not know much, or prefer to keep things secret... others will give you their version of the story, and what should be done about it. But do not hesitate to initiate a conversation.

Perhaps study our fantastic handbook more closely. There is a lot of background in there, and perhaps you will find out that some things can be found there. Likely other questions will come up, and those will have to be answered in-game.
    Feel free to ask my characters Kobal Bluntaxe or Rashar Moiro-Jerichan. Kobal might know a lot, if he takes a liking to you. :)

Harlas

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 04:04:00 pm »
    I was on a server where you could ONLY rest at night and then only infront of a campfire... it did make things tedious at times... but it DID make the whole campfire grouping awsome.. I mean.. sooo much good comes from the RP at the campfire.

SquareKnot

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
    Based on the feedback, I think I'll give it a try for November. Beyond that, we'll have to see. Look for IC posts in the Wild Surge (the Official Inn of the Beginning Adventurer) and events on the player calendar (to be posted sometime in the next few hours).

This could be fun...

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 06:50:00 pm »
    Aho All
        I would really like this and I would join any time I could. I also have another ideal perhaps each time one of these is run ohne of the PCs could, o say handle it I mean set it up and get it all ready so we could stay in a time limit then we could swap off all of the time. This would serve a couple of good things to the game.
      1st. It would introduce DMing to new players and they could see if they might want to become one.
      2nd. The DMs could send their Asst. DMs to run these games for training practice.
      3rd. It would help a lot of players learn the rules of the game and proper conduct.
      I am all for this and would glady DM one of them. I have Dmed NWN before.

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 07:23:00 pm »
    Eagleman,
      Players may organize events all they want, and they are encouraged to do so.  While GMs may occasionally look in upon and even interact during such events, largely they are within the player's control.
      You are more than welcome to organize such an event as a player.  Here are some things to keep in mind, and I'll list them in correspondence with the points you listed.
      1.  Events like this are not intended to introduce GMing to new players.  Rather, I think the goal should be to introduce each other and the world to new players, to get people involved in the world. 
      2. There are no assistant GMs in Layonara.  You either are a GM or you are not.
      3. ABSOLUTELY!  In most cases, these player-led events are simply a gathering of characters to explore, investigate, go mining, or many other activities that encourage RP, working as a team, etc. The bulk of these events are in-character type things, and players are encouraged to stay in-character without straying into discussions of game mechanics and such.  There are a few events which are intended as OOC events. These types of events are great for players new to RPing, players who are unsure of the world rules and systems, etc., and feel they cannot get the answers they need by asking IC and in-game.
      Without trying to dampen your enthusiasm, you will not be "GMing" an event like this.  You won't be given any GM privileges for such things.  And your interaction with other players should be those of one character to another, not as a GM for the other players involved. I hope that makes sense.  If GMing is something you wish to do here, you are welcome to apply the next time such GM applications are opened.  Until then, I encourage you to RP and learn as much about the world as you can.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 08:43:00 pm »
    Aho All
      I am sorry if I was misunderstood when I said DMing I guess I should have said Hosting as in Like My PC Talon calls a group of players to her house opr in my cxase hewr campsite and asks to host a hunting party.
      I for sure did not mean getting any DM powers of any kind nor do I want any as of now when I feel I know the system I might ask to DM but I am more a builder and feel I should for the same knowledge before I would ask to be a builder also.
      I was just thinking a PC could host the outing so there would more time to do it insteads of talking about we were going to do.

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 08:47:00 pm »
    *nods*
      And that's fine. Again, organize it like a character and as in-character as possible. 
      This whole thing is a great idea. :)

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
    :) WOW! this whole idea, seems to have generated a LOT of interest. And I'm glad. There is sooo much to Layonara, especially from what I've read, and what I've seen playing (gawd, I've got to go through the threads once more, and "try" to read all of them (? yikes!).

Just let's keep this going! and make it a reality!

As for my PC, well, I'm trying to find out what's up in-game and all . . . I do wish that NwN had a copy/paste avalable to use in the conversations and all, it would make things soooo much easier when trying to get another PC's attention, especially when there are 8-10 people about and convos are flying every which way . . . most often a PC doesn't even see if you are addressing them, especially if you are a "new" PC and the other PC doesn't know you. I am trying to get the attention of the other older players, so that they "know" of my PC's exsistance and can at least recognize him, and not ignore him . . . but it's all RP, and it seems that this is truly a RP intense world!!!!

Again, I appreciate all that my orginal post has created! I hope we can get it off the ground and movin'.

SquareKnot

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 10:49:00 am »
    Thunderstorm: "Just let's keep this going! and make it a reality!"

SquareKnot casting "Make Reality"
    SquareKnot casts "Make Reality"

See:
    http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19398

Hope you can attend.

(Now I think everything is completely cross-linked)

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
    Aho All

Squareknot I haver signed up fpr your class But as Welcome Wagon seems okay for the OOC forums. We really need something else for ingame. Perhaps the one who suggested doing this has a namw for it himself why don't we ask him. Welcomme wagon is to new and sounds like you should bring me a fruit basket not take me out killing Orcs. Thunderstorm what do you say?

SquareKnot

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
    EagleMan,

I agree that the calendar event name leaves a lot to be desired. It was the best I could come up with at 2 am :)

I plan on running a few of these through the end of the year. Each one will have a different pretext for getting people together. What I was _trying_ to do was come up with a generic name that could refer to the whole series, so that people on the forums could tell newcomers, "Oh, and sign up for the next Welcome Wagon event" without knowing specifically that this next time was a big game hunt or a desert expedition or a craft fair or whatever. Hopefully, others will hold a few of these types of events as well, and if they use the same generic name and ground rules, people will know what to expect.

But I agree -- "Welcome Wagon" is just wrong. Any better ideas? "Meet, Greet, and Defeat" "Orienteering" "Arrive and Stay Alive"

I kind of like "Orienteering" myself. It seems to capture the spirit of the thing, and is less anachronistic.

Oh, and by the way, I _do_ have fruit to give to you. Do you prefer apples or pears? If basketweaving were a craft, I'd be all set... :)