The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Arcanian Language Ear...  (Read 118 times)

LynnJuniper

Arcanian Language Ear...
« on: June 27, 2006, 08:44:19 am »
I thought, with all the other languages, such as the theives cant, it would be cool if there was an Ear for Arcane Language.

http://www.tilansia.com/langconvert.php

This link translates most of neverwinter languages, and I saw one that said Arcanian. I thought it would be nice rp wise, especially if a wizard had an apprentice they were teaching.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Arcanian Language Ear...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:47:03 am »
Y'know, the Arcane language is just Draconic. At least according to the original PnP rules.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:06:01 am »
Really? I didn't know that, Never PnPed before. That's what I get *smiles embarassed*

LynnJuniper

RE: Arcanian Language Ear...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 11:57:58 am »
Hmm , But that's odd, because on this translator thing, Draconian and Arcanian are split into two seperate languages, so I am sure it could be done on Layonara as well..I just like the idea of an arcane ear for RP pruposes.

Fatherchaos

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:05:02 pm »
Arcanian may be specifc to a gaming world, or perhaps those native to Arcadia :)

LynnJuniper

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 12:39:31 pm »
*blinks, confused -again-* Ah, I see...But I -still- think a unique scripting language seperated from Draconic would be interesting for our purposes. I'd love it...It'd give more variety than just the few set voice patterns and jibberish provided by the spells in game....

Dorganath

RE: Arcanian Language Ear...
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 12:51:30 pm »
Well, the problem with speaking "arcane" is that the arcane words are really spell components.
  To say it another way, "Words have power."
  There are three basic kinds of spell components: Verbal, Somatic and Material. Verbal are the spoken words and sounds during casting, somatic are the gestures, and material are the bits of goo and such that mages carry around in smelly pouches. Every arcane spell uses one or more of these comonent types. Anyway, a simple conversation in "arcane" would probably result in funny discharges of energy at unsuspecting passers-by, as some spells have only verbal components....especially if someone has taken Still Spell *grins*.
  Now that I think of it, this might be fun to code such that using this ear would result in random discharges of magic...hehe
  Anyway, the point is that such a language would not be conversational at all, but rather a required tool of wizardry.

EdTheKet

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 01:21:22 pm »
The language of magic on Layonara is not draconic. And Dorganath is right that it wouldn't really be a language to have conversations in.

anything