The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Armor time to put on?  (Read 1080 times)

silverblades

Armor time to put on?
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »
dont know if Im stirring up a nest here but here it goes.
 Can there be a time span added to put on the armor. Iknow you cant put armor on in battle, but besides that could you have a wait period to put on armor. with a longer time span to put on full plate say 4 rounds half plate 3 rounds and so on till you get to a robe which should take perhaps 1 round.
Just from a RP stand point is all. This would make the game more realistic and would stop the running along while changing into heavy armor trick. I know I switch between armors quite often and Ive seen others do it too.
There can be only One.

Leanthar

RE: Armor time to put on?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:46:00 pm »
I considered this when I put the system in a long time ago, and in PnP games it most certainly should be considered.  I am just not sure it works in an online world... however, it works really well in PnP and makes people think.
  I would like to hear feedback on this subject.

Lucius

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:03:00 pm »
I'd have fun with such a system (not because Lucius is a monk, of course ;)). It would create opportunities for situations such as night ambushes on GMed quests (I always loved doing that to players *evil grin*).

Eloyn

• Followers of Az'atta
    • Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:17:00 pm »
I think it sounds like a good idea....gives players more of a responsibilty to watch their surroundings....also, it may cause people to always wear armor...increasing the number who already do.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 03:21:00 am »
This is an interesting idea, and i agree that people should spend more time when switching armors. 3 or 4 rounds, or perhaps more, then subtract some time based on the character's Dexterity.

There's also the idea of people being slower when using heavier armors, like 10% Movement Speed Decrease.

Another issue related to item switching would be weapons. These should also take one round to swap, perhaps 2 for Large weapons such as Longbows, Greatsword, Greataxes, etc. Or even, 1 round for Small weapons, 2 for Medium and 3 for Large. Having these related to an ability would also work.

Lucius

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:25:00 am »
Nah, weapons are ok I think, on PnP you waste a movement action to draw one, and since you're not moving in battle you can attack normally. After all, an adventurer would keep his weapons easy to draw.

SquareKnot

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 10:19:00 am »
I'd love to see this, because it would at least put a damper on the "buff in the buff" behavior I see all the time. You know the trick -- take off heavy plate, cast arcane buff spells with 0% failure, put back on heavy plate, all in seconds. This has always bothered me, as it would take minutes to completely remove plate and put it back on. Maybe the time to put on/take off the armor should be tied into the arcane spell penalty, as this is already available for armor and is an indication of how encumbering (and therefore cumbersome to put on) the armor is? Just a thought.

Pibemanden

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 10:36:00 am »
If this should be implemented I would like a option to rest with the armor on. Usually when Storold "rest" he simply just refreshes his spells and it should be posible to read in a book while wearing an armor.
The new rest shouldn't give any hp back but simply give the spells per day.

Leanthar

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 11:08:00 am »
In PnP games (which we are based on clearly) you must rest (sleep) before getting spells (either arcane or divine)... so if we go this path you will not be allowed to sleep (rest) in certain armors.

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 11:27:00 am »
One PnP thing we used to do was require 15 minutes of rest per spell per level.
  So in other words, one could study 4 1st level spells in an hour, but the same hour would only allow 1 4th level spell.  A single 9th level spell would take 2 hours, 15 minutes.
  Or maybe it was 10 minutes per spell per level.  Anyway, you get the point.  It required us to dedicate some real time to resting, healing, etc.
  I'm not in any way suggesting we do this, but this was a nice system in PnP that just wouldn't translate well into an online setting.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »
Dorganath - 1/11/2006  12:27 PM    One PnP thing we used to do was require 15 minutes of rest per spell per level.
  So in other words, one could study 4 1st level spells in an hour, but the same hour would only allow 1 4th level spell.  A single 9th level spell would take 2 hours, 15 minutes.
  Or maybe it was 10 minutes per spell per level.  Anyway, you get the point.  It required us to dedicate some real time to resting, healing, etc.
  I'm not in any way suggesting we do this, but this was a nice system in PnP that just wouldn't translate well into an online setting.
 Yeah, then if you had just a couple hours you could choose to prepare a few specific spells that you thought you would need the most.  Another thing that we couldn't really do in a PW.  -TV

tom bombadill

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »
if there is a delay while putting on armor, could it be tied to an emote? so that it looks like the PC is actually doing somthing and not just standing there waiting for a suit of plate to appear.

Dorganath

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 01:30:00 pm »
OR....
  Instead of coming up with a system whereby the Development/Project Teams have to spend hours to make some complex system, why not just emote it as part of your RP?
  I know at least one character who does:
  *begins strapping on his armor, taking several minutes to complete*
  Just because you can put on your full plate armor, jump up and run in the span of 6 seconds doesn't mean you have to do so. :)

Ar7

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »
It takes a lot more time than a few minutes, closer to an hour I think (if not more), to put on plate armor. It actually requires help from other people to put it on. So I would really like to see a delay system implemented or simply see more people RP the armor change. Imagine a 15th century knight hop in and out of his plate armor, kind of funny isn't it? :)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
In another PW I played on, there were temporary penalties whenever equipment was switched in combat, specifically weapons.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »
In another PW I played on, there were temporary penalties whenever equipment was switched in combat, specifically weapons.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »
Yeah... I think some things are better left to the players to play out instead of bogging down things with more mechanics.

We thought about a movement decrease in heavy armor before... but imagine running quests where half the party is lagging behind? Or then us having to go through and slow down all the creatures in the module wearing heavy armor.

And then... we may as well make gold weigh something. And limit the amount of items you can carry, because carrying 40 suits of armor is silly.

And so on and so on.

This is still just a game. Some things are just better left alone. I think this is one of those things.

Usually when I need to put my armor on or off and it's in the presence of others I'll excuse myself and duck behind a building or whatever, to symbolise me getting dressed. It's easy and simple and gets the point across.

Candyman111

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 11:48:16 pm »
    One problem Ive had with armor is that its boosts AC which is the ability to dodge......shouldnt armor decrease ac and increase the dmage reduction...just a suggestion

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
      • Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    Re: Armor time to put on?
    « Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 03:59:38 am »
    Delays in putting armor on is a great idea in PnP ... but Layo is not PnP.

Because of the way NWN handles combat, there would be no real strategy in this. It wouldn't provoke thought, it would just hold people up, and cause frustration and death.

It is a wonderful concept, I just do not think with the NWN environment it would work well.

silverblades

Re: Armor time to put on?
    « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 08:27:52 am »
    Good.. good the post has done its job.

*removes stick from ants nest*
    There can be only One.

anything