The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Battlehelm Moors  (Read 584 times)

Ravemore

Battlehelm Moors
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:02:43 am »
Every time I go to the Battlehem Moores I have to change all my video settings or crash repeatedly. Sometimes that does not even work. I crashed at least a dozen times tonight and had weird triangular images the size of half the tileset rotating around me. I've seen a plethora of other issues with other players with that tile set since it was introduced. Therefore, I'd like to request some consideration in a future update to ditch it and use the Sooth Moore tileset instead. There is a high demand for the CNR in those areas, and the risk of crashing and loosing a soul strand to a swampkin at my level is almost funny. The eye candy is not worth the headache it is causing. Anyway... just my two cents. ;)

The following users thanked this post: Serissa, jrizz, Stephen_Zuckerman, MadHattan

Dremora

Re: Battlehelm Moors
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:27:11 am »
How often do you find eyecandy that is worth losing an SS for no fair reason? :P

jrizz

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
Good call Ravemore. I have always had issues with that tile set and often I would crash upon entering.

Chongo

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:10:07 pm »
That tileset is used in other places as well.  It may not be the tileset specifically.  I haven't looked at that area in the module for years, and didn't build it, so I don't know for certain - but it could just be heavy in other ways.

Do you crash on Belinara in places like Nightfall Woods?  I think I used the same tileset there on the second two maps.  Or outside the Emerald Skull crypt in the swamps?

I'd test those (if you're able to safely) and see if you get the same problems.  I know worms swamps are resource heavy, and they're certainly not my favorite to use - but you might want to determine that it's the tileset itself rather then something like 8000 tree placeables per square foot (which we did sweeps for years ago in an area overhaul, but I'll be darned if I was methodical about it and didn't miss something).

MadHattan

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:47:46 pm »
Emerald Skull crypt swamps do not have the issue, only the Battlehem Moores.  In the Battlehem Moores I can count on crashing on average once per two areas.  Crashes can be one player in a party, or the whole party.  Crashes happen when alone, or in a group.  The crashing can be consistant... once per screen load, or crazy.... 5 times as you cross a screen.  The crashing can sometimes be helped with video config changes but not eliminated...   If there is a player who is immune to the crashing in Battlehem Moores I have not met them yet.

Please, please, please consider fixing the area or changing the tileset.  Crashing disrupts any game emmersion and RP...  talking to crashing players who ignore you is frustrating at best and missing RP because you are the one crashing is no better.

My 2True,

- Mad

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »
I haven't crashed in the Battle helm more in quite some time now. It was due to changing to a more powerful video card on my case. (Nvidia 240gtx) That, and I don't go through that area buffed.

I noticed that when I used to go with people that were decked out in spells they used to crash a lot, and me too if I was.

Masterjack

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:08:56 pm »
I do not crash in the Battlehelm Moors at all. My biggest problem was shiny water was turned on when I had my ATI 4650. Since then no problems what so ever. I now have an ATI HD 4800 and still no problems.

willhoff

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »
No crashes here after turning off shiney water on my video settings.  

The tileset is frustrating to move through as I'm always bumping into things like logs and trees and stumps and its more laggy than most areas but I guess thats kind of intended as its a swamp and should be hard to move through.

I have similar frustrations in the black dog moors area were they lizard kin crypt is located.

Ravemore

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:17:00 pm »
No shiny water on any of my machines, and it happens on all three. One has a higher end video card too (Radeon HD 6870), so I don't believe it's a video card issue. Most players are going to be entering our world with stock machines from home depot or officemax, so to me it does not make a whole lot of sense to have a tileset that is so demanding resource-wise.

-To Chongo - Have not been to either of those areas you mentioned, so not sure. I'd like to test it some time. Based on my experiences, comments from others, and the numerous posts from other people with issues over the years when you go through the threads, the tile set is either bad, or there are too many placeables. Thanks for your comment on placeables too, because I did not consider that as a possible issue. I think all of the above warrants some investigation.

Also, I realize swamps are supposed be difficult to move through, :D but ideally that is something that can be addressed through RP, and more effectively too I might add. A tileset that locks up players or groups, makes it difficult to navigate, and produces sound effects that give you a headache after 5 minutes is less effective in my opinion. LOL I guess that's 2 more cents... so we're up to 4 now. ;)

Quote from: Masterjack
I do not crash in the Battlehelm Moors at all. My biggest problem was shiny water was turned on when I had my ATI 4650. Since then no problems what so ever. I now have an ATI HD 4800 and still no problems.

Polak76

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:50:50 pm »
I used to always crash in that transition to a similar swampy area near tibum/creedo where the gloom/wisps are.

anything