The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Blinding Speed.  (Read 1101 times)

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
Blinding Speed.
« on: November 04, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
Not sure if this feat was already looked at, nor if anyone has taken it already, but here it goes.

Currently this feat grants Haste once per day, for a duration equal to 10 rounds.

Now, since it -is- an Epic Feat, 1 minute isn't really worth taking the feat in my opinion, so my suggestions are either:

10 Rounds + Dex modifier

10 Rounds + Constitution modifier

10 rounds + Character level/2

Duration equal to Character level

Any thoughts? :)

Doc-Holiday

RE: Blinding Speed.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:40:00 pm »
you go blind too

from..

to much speed...

yeah

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 04:08:00 pm »
Guess the team should add Immunity to Blindness too, if they make any changes, than. ;)

Milo

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
I think 10 rounds + dex modifiers sounds good

Bryantiza

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
    just being able to run real fast is good. why don't you just stick with that. I want a rogue to be able to run in sneak mode and to be immune to wizards true seeing spell, but i doupt it will ever happen...............................

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
    Rogues with high Dexterity could actually benefit from this feat at Epic levels, so you could at least walk faster when sneaking around and hit more often. ;)

Aryn Ravenlocke

• Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 06:18:00 pm »
    One minute is actually a rather decent period of time to be hasted. The idea of th feat is to allow for a very specific, quick action. Furthermore, most fights actually do not last a full minute, meaning that if a smart rogue picks and chooses his spots well he can use his blinding speed with great effectiveness.
        YT

Milo

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 12:08:00 am »
    But then the feat would not be better than say a wizard's haste being casted on the rogue.  This being an epic feat and all, it should have better durations (comparing to other class's epic feats, it pales in comparison)

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 01:44:00 am »
    It's not suspossed to be better than a mage casting a spell. It's a rogue, mundanely able to double his attacks for 1 minute, give himself a +4 bonus to AC and increase his move speed...

I mean, that's awesome. Considering a rogue will be sneak attacking mostly. Double attacks is like an extra eleventykabillion damage or something in that minute.

Not bad for a single feat. It's good as an 'oh crap' button.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 01:48:00 am »
    ... i want an "'oh crap'" button...

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 01:55:00 am »
    Haste does not double attacks in 3.rd edition AD&D. You receive 1 extra attack and +4 AC - still a good spell though. :)

Falreign

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 02:06:00 am »
    But should oh crap buttons cost epic levels?

Also it is usable once per day, seeing as how you fight more than once every ten minutes and haste only adds one more attack per round which at that level adds to their three attacks. A rogue could save this feat for concealment and carry around a wizard instead, even a low level will know how to cast haste on a single person. Yep thats how I see it.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 02:25:00 am »
    Lets see... when you're epic level would you rather spend a feat and pretty much be able to run away from something if things go bad... or would you rather chance losing a couple hundred thousand xp when you die if you can't get away?

So yes. I'd personally spend the feat if that's your thing. No one makes you spend the feats. You could take something else instead. There are options for the classes.

This feat kinda represents someone that has worked to make his body move unnaturally fast all by himself. No magic here. The cool factor alone makes it worth taking. You can move twice as fast as a normal human. Faster even than a monk that has trained his entire life.

If we were to increase durations we would want to add a drawback like slowed speed or whatever for an equal time.

I'd personally rather keep it all bonuses with no drawbacks and leave it a short duration.

Great for when you need to squeeze just a little bit more out of a fight.

Epic feats aren't suspossed to make you hugely powerful. They just give you slight increases. Thats why you get multiple epic feats.

Pankoki

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 02:47:00 am »
    [orange] Heh.. well seeing as I'm just about the only one anywhere near getting this feat in the whole server, I'm quite happy just to see:  "Triba Gues becomes fast as lightning"  The haste and the rest of the stuff will just be a nice perk :)  Though, does it really last a minute? Maybe it was the misconception of a frenzied battle, but in testing it seemed to have last much less. Not that it really matters either way, just thought it odd everyone agreed it was a minute when it felt more like 20 to 30 seconds.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 02:49:00 am »
    10 rounds. However long that is in real time. Might be 30s. Might be 1m.

Pankoki

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 02:54:00 am »
    [orange] Oh okay, misread that part above. Then its like 40 seconds cause due to lag NWN normally handles the standard 6 second round as 4-5ish.

Lord Dark

Re: Blinding Speed.
    « Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:07 pm »
    Do you find this feat really useful though Pankoki?

Pankoki

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 11:03:48 pm »
    Well now it certainly is. In a "recent" update it was changed to 1 round per DEX score, not the modifier, the actual score. So for Triba, for instance, it lasts 36 rounds, which is a huge bit of time. Or really, the equivalent of a 36 level caster. So yes, it is pretty darn hot. I like it because it scales up with the character.

The only downside is that it doesn't work in dead magic because its a "pseudo-spell" but eh... Not a big deal I guess.

Lord Dark

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »
    Okay! That's what I was confused with, whether it was the 10 rounds or the DEX score. Does it go up and down with jewelry being used or just the raw DEX score?

Pankoki

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »
    Goes up and down with jewelry.