The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Crazy CNR Ideas  (Read 205 times)

Talan Va'lash

Crazy CNR Ideas
« on: May 22, 2005, 10:09:00 pm »
I had a couple crazy crafting idea, so I thought I'd post em... I feel like I'm not doing my job when the "In Next Update" folder is empty heh (sorry orth.)

Not that I think these are anywhere near something for next update, they're pretty far out, perhaps something for the next incarnation.... V3?

Idea #1: (I like this one best of the two)

Recepie books - Each PC has a recepie book where they store all their known recepies.  It starts empty and you can buy the initial recepies for each craft, (either sold individually by the recepie, or in a "junior crafters notebook" that has all the basic recepies like hickory for wood, copper for metal etc.)  However, to gain new recepies, one must have one of the items they wish to learn how to make, place it in the bench, and sacrifice it (reverse engineer it) to learn how to make it.  For instance, I want to learn how to make an oak longbow, I have to get an oak longbow, go to the bench (perhaps a seperate recepie bench for each craft) and sacrifice it to learn the recepie, which is then placed in my recepie book for future reference and persistancy, and the option to make it now shows up on the bench.  There could also be a way to learn a recepie by watching an experienced crafter make the item... but i think that might make it too easy.

To learn recepies that no one knows, or if you cant find/aquire an item to deconstruct, you can research recepies at the recepie bench.  This could be done a number of ways.  

Possible way #1 - You can research specific recepies (i.e. "oak longbow") if you have the proper ingredients to make them, this would represent how much harder it is to learn to make something by just trying it.  The chance of learning a recepie would be a couple levels easier than making the final product.  If you succeed, the recepie is added to your book.  You recieve no other product.

Possible way #2 - You do generic research and experimentation for a certain level of craft (Oak would be level 1, mahogany 2, yew 3.  This level system would not be so easy to categorize in crafts like alchemy, but it could be broken up by difficulty level.)  Research requires a general set of ingredients dependant on what craft you are working in.  The difficulty of the research is the base level of the tier you are researching.  on succes, you a random recepie that you did not previously have from that tier is added to your recepie book.

A system like this would allow for all sorts of secret recepies, and if researching a recepie was more randomized (instead of using a difficulty level, require a certain level to even try it then its 50% and on a roll of 20 a "special recepie" is given out, Like some of the special recepies we have now coat of arms, club of bloodiness, things like that would be special recepies.)

It would also make recepies either highly guarded secrets (depending on the characters) or open up a new craft "recepie scribing" allowing recepies to be scribed so that others could purchase them and add them to their recepie books.

Wow... I really like that idea.  But as I said... its pretty huge... It couldnt really be implemented without a semi-major overhaul, and while people wouldnt have to start over with their crafting, they would be set back a while as they scrambled for recepies heh.  Maybe V3 eh?

I'm not even going to post the second idea, because this one is way better : )   (and lal said it was way to complicated, and too much work and not even that good.... and, i'm gonna have to agree. so... just this one crazy cnr idea for now.)

Talan Va'lash

RE: Crazy CNR Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 07:28:00 am »
i'm not sure if anyone reads in this category very often... probably should have stuck this somewhere else... bump.

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 07:53:00 am »
We read them.  We just didn't responde because, well, I have no idea when/if we could do some of this stuff.  So much going on and CNR has been well treated. The team is trying to handle other things right now.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
oh yeah, I know its far out... just seemed like no one saw it.

I appologize for gratuitous bumpage.

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 01:40:00 pm »
No prob at all.

anything