The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Hlint  (Read 1725 times)

Script Wrecked

Re: Hlint
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »
Quote from: Gulnyr
Does the size of the city really matter?  I know Hemp is big in-game, but it's a big city so it should be big.  The size doesn't seem to be the point, though.  

Consider the main places within the city most people will want to go: the bank, the craft halls, maybe the guild halls.  There is one way into the city(1), so the main path is going to go from the pond, through the gate, wallow around the big eagle a bit, then bearing right around the fountain, through the transition to crafting destinations (yes, I have not included the kitchen).  If there is to be a benchy gathering for RP, isn't that a reasonable place to find it, along that theoretically high-traffic path?  The place to be in Hlint was on the benches by the bank, right?  That was the high-traffic point.  Sitting by the barn in Hlint wasn't going to get the same result.  Does anyone else remember that Hlint had a barn?  hehe

Yet it is rare to find someone sitting along that route in Hemp.  I've had Jennara stand near the little pond to sell pies several times because that seems the best spot for passing traffic, and those times tend to be long, boring, lonely hours punctuated now and then with a few minutes of nice RP.  Maybe Jennara isn't someone people want to RP with for more than a few minutes.  Maybe people would rather be RPing in a more active setting these days rather than just sitting around to RP.  If crafting halls are an important factor for gathering groups, why is Hemp so dead?  Is it not a central crafting location?  Why would anywhere else be any different with a crafting hall?  I'm going off-point here, but I think those are good questions.

My point is that someone has to be the first to stop and sit if there are ever going to be "spontaneous," unplanned gatherings, whether in Hemp or in Hlint or at the Shack or by the portal-entrance at Wayfare or wherever.  There aren't as many players as there once were so it may be a long wait, and maybe that's why no one does it.  I imagine people would rather spend their time in-game accomplishing something and having fun, not sitting their characters alone on benches somewhere waiting and wondering what everyone else is doing wherever they are.  But you have to try to know for sure, right?  If anyone gives it a go, I wish you the very best of luck.

The chance of meeting someone is inversely proportional to the size of the city. The chance of meeting someone is also inversely proportional to the size of the areas. Its quite possible to pass through areas of Hempstead on one side while missing people passing through on the other.

The crafting halls themselves aren't a gathering point. People generally go the the halls to craft. Once they are done, they leave, because there is nothing to keep them there once they are done.

The amenities need to be focused around a central hub (one area) so that all the people that are coming and going to those amenities are bumping into one another. However, if those amenities are spread over numerous areas (however realistic it may be), that isn't going to happen.

The reason the pond isn't a high traffic area as might be expected is because Hempstead doesn't get the portal traffic and it is competing for amenity usage with its nearby rival Vehl.

If you want to encourage people to stop and sit, you have to give them a good chance that their time spent waiting is going to be rewarded. This is even more important with a lower server population.

(1) Ships passage is the other way into Hempstead.

Ravemore

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 08:01:54 pm »
Script Wrecked hit the nail on the head with a +10 mithril warhammer... That is exactly why Hlint worked was because it was a "hub."

I think Honora also had a valid point when she mentioned "We got realism at the expense of enjoyment."

On more thought, Gulnyr you are correct. Shrinking Hempstead is not the solution. A better design though would be nice, and since most of the city is destroyed it seems like now would be an opportune time for that to happen..

davidhoff

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 08:14:04 pm »
I really don't go to Hempstead much anymore.  Really, the only reason I go sometimes is to buy healing potions because the girl in the temple likes Tralek.

As a crafter I find Vehl much nicer.  The merchants and bank are much closer to the crafting areas and the arcane tower; the chickens are right there; ship launch is close; corn is nearby; food crafting is close by; skeleton knuckles close by.  I also don't mind taking a boat to Mariners to do my advanced crafting and use the portal at the Inn.  Plus, the pawn usually has money and pays well.  Also, it's welcome to all and usually there are other characters to bump into.

Just my view on it

Acacea

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 08:21:00 pm »
Quote from: Ravemore
A better design though would be nice, and since most of the city is destroyed it seems like now would be an opportune time for that to happen..

This thread is not the only place that the given opportunity has been brought up at least, heh.

Gulnyr

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 09:18:41 pm »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
The chance of meeting someone is inversely proportional to the size of the city. The chance of meeting someone is also inversely proportional to the size of the areas. Its quite possible to pass through areas of Hempstead on one side while missing people passing through on the other.

That's why I mentioned one path that should have the highest traffic of the various possible paths.  Storold picked a nice bench to listen to the Crier and all, but that side of the fountain doesn't see as much traffic as the other, so maybe not the best side for a sit-and-gather, y'know?

The crafting halls themselves aren't a gathering point. People generally go the the halls to craft. Once they are done, they leave, because there is nothing to keep them there once they are done.

I didn't say they were.  They weren't in Hlint, either.  Craft halls were mentioned by some as a reason a city would be a good gathering place, though, and if that is the draw of a city, then sitting along a path between the entrance to the city and the craft halls should help you meet people with all the coming to and going from, right?  

The amenities need to be focused around a central hub (one area) so that all the people that are coming and going to those amenities are bumping into one another. However, if those amenities are spread over numerous areas (however realistic it may be), that isn't going to happen.

In Hlint, the bank was on one end of the two areas, the craft hall and shops on the other, with the smithy and kitchen along the way but still separate (you can't tell who's smithing or cooking without going in to look) and no advanced craft hall at all.  The main difference in Hemp now is that the smithy and kitchen aren't along the same path between the bank and other craft areas, so maybe that could be "better," yeah.  But I did stop my description of the high-traffic path at the AT, since sitting along the gate side or right side of the fountain in the main square or by the pond should give you a good view of anyone coming and going (by land), and them of you.  Coming in the east gate of Hlint to go to the craft hall was no different than coming into Hemp by sea to go to the craft hall; either way, you'd miss any gathering on the high-traffic hot spot.

The reason the pond isn't a high traffic area as might be expected is because Hempstead doesn't get the portal traffic and it is competing for amenity usage with its nearby rival Vehl.

Which portal traffic?  Since Wayfare is a portal destination and people arriving that way have to pass the pond to enter Hemp, I don't understand what portal destinations have to do with it, unless you mean no one pops up in Hemp and then leaves to go elsewhere, passing people along the way.  And since anyone wanting to go north from Vehl or south to Vehl has to pass that intersection by the pond outside Hemp - ignoring ship travel, of course - I don't understand what Vehl competition has to do with it, either .

If you want to encourage people to stop and sit, you have to give them a good chance that their time spent waiting is going to be rewarded. This is even more important with a lower server population.

The reward is the RP, if I'm reading correctly, like in the good ol' days.  We never got anything more than that for sitting around Hlint.  If we need to toss out extra incentives to get people to RP like they want to, we're in trouble.  I actually don't expect to see anyone sitting, really, because there are fewer players.  There isn't much chance of the reward of RP by just sitting and waiting.  

(1) Ships passage is the other way into Hempstead.

Right.  I forgot that since I tend to run everywhere.  Still, Hlint had (and has) three entrances, though they are all basically on the same road (the road).

I'm not opposed to something different.  I said a long time ago that the current start locations are nice on paper but don't work out so well in practice.  We just don't have enough players to make it work.  And I'm not sure Hempstead is a great choice for a start location anyway (size being a factor), but that's not a fault in Hempstead itself but in the choice by whoever decided to make it a start location.  No biggy.  I'm not pointing fingers.  I may have made the same choice.  Redesigning Hempstead to have a more defined flow path might help.  Except that I would basically be volunteering someone else to do toolset work (which seems kind of rude), I don't see any reason not to try it.  I'm just not sure there's really a lot of traffic to funnel.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 10:12:10 pm »
That's why I mentioned one path that should have the highest traffic of the various possible paths.  Storold picked a nice bench to listen to the Crier and all, but that side of the fountain doesn't see as much traffic as the other, so maybe not the best side for a sit-and-gather, y'know?

Indeed. But why not go for all traffic rather than most? Particularly with a lower server population.

I didn't say they were.  They weren't in Hlint, either.  Craft halls were mentioned by some as a reason a city would be a good gathering place, though, and if that is the draw of a city, then sitting along a path between the entrance to the city and the craft halls should help you meet people with all the coming to and going from, right?  

As long as the path concentrates foot traffic. As long as there is a reason to linger before/after crafting.

In Hlint, the bank was on one end of the two areas, the craft hall and shops on the other, with the smithy and kitchen along the way but still separate (you can't tell who's smithing or cooking without going in to look) and no advanced craft hall at all.  The main difference in Hemp now is that the smithy and kitchen aren't along the same path between the bank and other craft areas, so maybe that could be "better," yeah.  But I did stop my description of the high-traffic path at the AT, since sitting along the gate side or right side of the fountain in the main square or by the pond should give you a good view of anyone coming and going (by land), and them of you.  Coming in the east gate of Hlint to go to the craft hall was no different than coming into Hemp by sea to go to the craft hall; either way, you'd miss any gathering on the high-traffic hot spot.

I'm getting the impression old Hlint was more of a concentrator than Hempstead, by layout and/or size.

Which portal traffic?

All the "Home Teleportation System" traffic arriving on Mistone.

Since Wayfare is a portal destination and people arriving that way have to pass the pond to enter Hemp, I don't understand what portal destinations have to do with it, ...

Not all the people arriving at Wayfare go to or through Hempstead. Having the portal destination in Hempstead would ensure they do.

And since anyone wanting to go north from Vehl or south to Vehl has to pass that intersection by the pond outside Hemp - ignoring ship travel, of course - I don't understand what Vehl competition has to do with it, either .

Because Vehl has crafting amenities, they don't have to go to Hempstead to craft.

The reward is the RP, if I'm reading correctly, like in the good ol' days.  We never got anything more than that for sitting around Hlint.  If we need to toss out extra incentives to get people to RP like they want to, we're in trouble.  I actually don't expect to see anyone sitting, really, because there are fewer players.  There isn't much chance of the reward of RP by just sitting and waiting.  

People aren't getting rewarded with RP for the time they spend waiting; they're just waiting.

I'm not opposed to something different.  I said a long time ago that the current start locations are nice on paper but don't work out so well in practice.  We just don't have enough players to make it work.  And I'm not sure Hempstead is a great choice for a start location anyway (size being a factor), but that's not a fault in Hempstead itself but in the choice by whoever decided to make it a start location.  No biggy.  I'm not pointing fingers.  I may have made the same choice.  Redesigning Hempstead to have a more defined flow path might help.  Except that I would basically be volunteering someone else to do toolset work (which seems kind of rude), I don't see any reason not to try it.  I'm just not sure there's really a lot of traffic to funnel.

We can only work with what we've got, and provide the incentive for the people that are here to keep being here and for the new people to hang around long enough to become apart of things.

Gulnyr

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »
What I'm saying is I don't think there's much traffic in Hemp at all at any given time, anyway.  Even if you funnel it all (rather than only most of it) onto one path, that won't make a big difference.  And that waiting around for serendipitous passersby isn't worth the wait because there are too few people playing, not because of any mechanical system.  I could be wrong.  If changing Hemp makes things better, awesome.  I won't be mad.  And I don't disagree with what you're saying.  I just don't think the place is the biggest problem.

We players can find ways to get together if we take some initiative.  We've got the player calendar.  We've got the forum.  With a small player population, we shouldn't be trying to rely on random meetings and forced pathing and other outside measures but on what we can do with and for each other.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:38 pm »
Ah... ;)

cbnicholson

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 09:47:35 am »
Not disagreeing here, Gulnyr..but I've heard in tells many times from new players - Where is everyone?  as they sit alone in Hempstead or Vehl- Not knowing what to do, who to speak to..all of it.  This is a problem..by concentrating players at least in a passing , those new players should get noticed.

I'm as guilty as anyone of not ignoring others, but of simply not having the time to help.  *shrugs* Layo practically needs a receptionist. :D
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Script Wrecked

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 10:05:13 am »
Something I've seen on other servers is a "where is everyone" functionality(1). That way, if people are congregated somewhere, your character can "just happen to be by".

(1) Yes, there is a possible griefing aspect to this. If this was a problem, perhaps it wouldn't show who, just numbers above a certain amount, and not when people are in private homes, et cetera.

Erik K

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 10:48:47 am »
somthing that I liked about Hlint, as opposed to Hemp-Vehl, was what I like to call the  "character incubator".  In Hlint, there was a well thought out series of areas to explore and fight or gather CNR's as a new character.   It was the best Ive seen on anyother server Ive gamed on.  It went somthing like this; Sewers-crypts-gobbies-kobolds-swamps-haven.  Solo or in a group of newbies, it was fun and with craftable items in abundance, you could be busy all day long with out time wasting runs back and forth between CNR sites and craft halls.  The biggest short coming of Hlint was the lack of a port.  Hemp-Vehl is not as well developed and as a restricted race, it is even worse.  I can accept that Hlint is not in the running for a new start point, which seems odd, since lore and nonplayer attitudes can be changed with the stroke of a pen.  But it can serve as a template for what ever is.

Dorganath

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 03:40:56 pm »
Quote from: Erik K
I can accept that Hlint is not in the running for a new start point, which seems odd, since lore and nonplayer attitudes can be changed with the stroke of a pen.

Lore and NPC attitudes were changed because Hlint was such a hub and the grief that such hub-ness brought to the little farm town. ;)

Ravemore

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 11:22:46 pm »
LOL... "Hub-ness"?

Masterjack

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 09:34:40 am »
Quote from: Dorganath
Lore and NPC attitudes were changed because Hlint was such a hub and the grief that such hub-ness brought to the little farm town. ;)

Yep I remember the garbage can near the benches being the target for practicing mages. People running into Hlint with a horde of goblins following them. The adventurers got just a little out of hand. Kind of like a small town in the wild west.

Kaail

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 09:45:52 am »
Quote from: Masterjack
Yep I remember the garbage can near the benches being the target for practicing mages. People running into Hlint with a horde of goblins following them. The adventurers got just a little out of hand. Kind of like a small town in the wild west.

lmao...

What if someone, such as a player, built a crafthall or something?

Dorganath

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33:26 am »
Quote from: Kaail
lmao...

What if someone, such as a player, built a crafthall or something?

http://forums.layonara.com/rumour-has/230242-fehriel-approaches-hlint-town-council-representative.html?highlight=Fehriel+hlint+council

Kaail

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 03:08:26 pm »
allright...what if someone bought some land and made one so it was there own private one, which they could let others into instead off offering to buy a tinkers device?

Dorganath

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 07:51:25 pm »
The purpose of linking that thread was to show the general attitudes of Hlint's residents regarding "outside" influence.

Lord Dark

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 08:40:09 pm »
I remember the first time I was convinced to write up Relyt's bio and play Layo. And I remember first logging in and the dragon was up on something like a stage. I thought it was the coolest thing. And then I went through the conversation with the dragon about server rules and the other beginner information, and suddenly I was in this small, comfy town outside the bindstone beside the Wild Surge Inn. There were people every where and even though I couldn't get into a group because I was a shy player at the time, I still had a lot of fun crafting and designing Relyt's armor, bashing some goblins (they were easier then) and kobolds for ore and gems.

The reason I liked Hlint is because people gathered in the same areas, and everything that you needed was on two different screens. When I came back a year or two ago, everything was encompassed by huge stone walls and there wasn't a place on the ground that wasn't covered in cobblestones, and there was so much space that it didn't feel homey like it does when you go to Hlint.

I'm not sure if that makes sense but good memories of Layo come back when I'm in that little town.

A-Wizzle

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 06:02:21 pm »
We should make "I <3 Hlint" t-shirts for all those pro-Hlinters out there.

Two cents from the peanut gallery:

A lot of my favorite memories from Layo come from "the benches" in Hlint. Stories from Ozy, the chaos having all the new players around, having everything in one concentrated area, the small-town feel... I miss it all. But let's face it. Hlint just isn't convenient anymore.

Possible solutions:

1. Make Hlint convenient again, i.e. bring in characters to rebuild the craft halls, merchant houses, ect ect. Though this is extremely unlikely and would take much effort from our BFF Dorg.

I'll agree it makes more sense for Hemp/Vehl to be hubs because of their size and location. So what can we do to make them more comfortable and popular?

2. Crunch Port Hempstead together - Redesign the areas, take some out, yadda yadda. Also, taking much effort from the team.

Personally, I like Vehl more.

3. We could all just agree to use it as our new Hlint, and maybe use the pond out front as our "benches" and meeting place or even the docks. Think about it - it's two areas and has most of what Hlint had to offer, including: place to start as a new character, temple, kitchen, merchants, bank, starter quests. Heck, it even has one of those nifty sea ports. :)

Though when all is said and done, we probably will never have another real Hlint unless it is Hlint.