The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Idea for Constructs  (Read 622 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Idea for Constructs
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 07:23:45 pm »
Do you know how much lag that would add? Another timer for every single golem out there. @.@

Even if there are only two, I imagine that's still a good bit of lag.

blonde

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 05:14:49 am »
I think you should try thinking more in RP uses for this idea. I dont expect us to introduce a bunch of heavy attack golems that everyone could own. Not saying that there coulndt be battle golems of course.

Just to throw a few wild ideas out there:
-An ox golem that can help you carry stuff.
-A medical golem that helps you get patched up.
-A translator golem that can hold language ear(s) for you.

And i wouldnt expect their abilities to have time counters, but rather use charges. Meaning that you would need to get them recharged regularly.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 07:18:50 am »
Aye, well said blonde... those are great ideas! Can't wait to see them alive, hehe. :)

HozenBigger

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
RE: Idea for Constructs
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 03:31:28 pm »
Yea, that tottally is better than my idea, it would be awsome to have a translator golem, but there shouldnt be just one, there should be differant grades, (the higher the grade, the more rare languages it can translate for you). And ox pack golems would be awsome as well. (however you as he sayed, you would need the ears first, or someone with the ears, to program those languages into it)

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 05:47:16 pm »
OH gods... I jus saw this post....

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 05:55:31 pm »
Only thing Iwould say is now clerics of lucinda would be far over powered if this was added... I could spend the next say 3 weeks with a small army to gather up was needed and poof I would have 2 Mithril golems lurking on the battlefield... As much as I want it it theyere would have to be "Lesser golems" And I'm thinking of a S... system where if the bugger dies you gotta retreave the "core" so to speak. The body can always be repaired but the core and maybe random chance you coud slavage leftovers.

other golems we could pull off Bone golems (200 some odd Nuckle bones any one?), Chain golems, Platinum golems (look like iorns but are less prone to being stuipd). Blade golems (Look he's made of Swords!) wood golems (fer you odd druids) Ragamuffins (golems made from magical clothing) and the other odd sort.

Somethign new you know?

Also toss in the horse namming system to the golems :)

Acacea

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 06:09:41 pm »
Clerics of Lucinda shouldn't be about making mad armies of golems in the first place. We have Goran for that. The ones she has are about protecting her mages and supposedly robed and staffed clerics, not the "MORE, MOOOOOOOOORE!" kind of way.

And I'm pretty sure the forming of mithril attack robots wouldn't be overlooked on the silliness scale... but I guess if one wanted to use 200 ingots of mithril (like someone would really help with that goal in mind) that's their prerogative...

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 06:21:46 pm »
A note on "Translator Golems:" It has been the official stance of the Team in the past that the Weave does not work in a manner allowing for language translation. Therefore, you'd need a rather complicated program just to translate text that was fed to it using some sort of keyboard-like interface; auditory recognition, and subsequent playback, would be nearly impossible with the current technology and magic.

You'd also need to already know the languages you're translating to and from. ;) See the problem?

EDIT: As Acacea pointed out, it wasn't QUITE a be-all-end-all statement in regards to the Weave and languages... Sorry if I misled anyone with my poor memory. :(

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 06:53:11 pm »
When I say 2 golems lurking on the battle field I mean one made one summoned....

I'm pretty sure there will be a one golem at a time limit

Acacea

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 07:27:41 pm »
I don't think it's wise to make such a blanket statement and put an official stamp on it. It has really only been discussed regarding Tongues, which is not a spell in Layonara for several reasons. I'm pretty sure a few IC reasons were suggested, such as it being nearly impossible to do it, or an epic task. I am almost positive that there is no post where it is officially declared, "You can never do this with the Weave, ever."

I know it seems like I'm just ragging on a post, but I just think people should be careful about which things are claimed to be stamped with the Official Stamp without quoting, linking, or citing a source. That seems even more anal I guess, but I'm just imagining everyone going, "Oh, okay, it's official that it is completely impossible for anyone to do ever," and then someone much later making their development revolve around such a thing to epic levels or something and getting a shot at something related, and everyone thinking, "Wait, it was an official signed and stamped rule that it was impossible! It's being changed for someone!"

Heh. I sound like a doomsayer, I just feel like I've had a lot of experience in that regard and would rather people be more clear. :)

If there has been one and I missed it, please feel free to link me as whether it is true or not was not the point, heh.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 07:31:08 pm »
You bring up a good point, Acacea, and you're right.

Still. If it's an epic sort of task, it's unlikely that anyone could make a magical translator golem.

Acacea

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 08:01:19 pm »
Oh sure, I don't think something like a translator golems would be in the corner of everyone's home, and I like the learning of languages being the more development heavy thing that it is right now... and someone might say that later, I just didn't want to get into the habit of speaking for others on something not quite verified.

(Sometimes I add disclaimers when I ramble... hehe)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 08:04:21 pm »
Acacea - 8/29/2006  11:01 PM

(Sometimes I add disclaimers when I ramble... hehe)

Usually a wise idea for any rambler. :o The voice of experience.

Dorganath

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 08:29:36 pm »
Right...well, it's safe to say that translator golems will not be available...probably ever. It's completely possible to do, mind you...and somewhat trivial...but it's not going to happen. There is one character who has a device which is somewhat similar to such a thing, but it's not 100%, and this character earned it.
  I don't want to step on anyone's dreams, but constructable golems of any kind also probably won't be in...definitely not in this version. Summons seem to fill that role nicely, and if we were to introduce such things, we'd unbalance quite a bit of encounters....moreso than summons do at the moment, by some perspectives.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 02:03:05 am »
very nice construct idea

forsettii

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 11:08:07 am »
    When I started doing Infusing, I played around with the ability to "Recharge" a crafted wand.  That way you could reuse the wand instead of tossing it away.  

Maybe this would be a good fit for this.  However, if you use the last "Charge" the golem goes away for good. aka Last sacrifice.  The recharge gems could be as cheap or as expesive as we needed them to be.  The power of CNR...

D Blaze

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 11:37:43 am »
    make them expensive, like infusing a diamond into a recharge gem, because people will just carry many wands and whatnot, but they will gladly recharge things with special abilities(especially staves), and make sure there is a cap on the maximum number of charges things have, cuz I would LOVE to have a scion of Ausir and Orn with like 50 charges each, or more (hence the cap and the expensive gem used)