The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 323 times)

Ravemore

Just a thought...
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:01 pm »
We currently have negative energy damage attached to Stirge Feathers on craftable arrows. This takes up what, about 12 pallet slots after all of the different woods and heads are factored in?

To me, negative energy seems like it should be more appropriately attached to rods and the enchanting craft. This would give players more flexibility to use it on melee weapons or missles, provide greater ranges of damages, and it also has a better RP feel to it in my mind. If it uses less pallet slots, it seems like this would be a plus as well. Retexturing of existing rods I to IV a black-like color would make good templates.

The following users thanked this post: geloooo

Hellblazer

Re: Just a thought...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:56:24 pm »
It's a nice thought, but I wouldn't touch the stirge feathers either. Mainly because it's an effect that is done due to using the feathers of a bird that has this ability, secondly because you can't make silver arrows with stirge feathers as they would cancel each other out, as I am not sure you could actually prevent the rod from being applied to anything that would have silver on it.

Ravemore

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:14:25 pm »
Good point. I actually did not factor in copper, so would this not still be 12? I think my previous observations still stand on their own merit though. You gain 4 levels of damage for the various rods that exceed what can be currently applied with stirge feathers, plus the ability to use them on melee weapons. Archers are not losing anything either as one rod is good for 5000 arrows. There is still a net gain with pallet space, no?

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:19:53 am »
Actually, if you make yew arrows you can get the same amount of damage for the feathers as you would get from a rod. 1d8 that be. lets say you have an Iron tipped yew shafts and stirge, you would get 2d8 vs golems + 1d8 of negative energy damage.

LORE: Item Enhancements

Ravemore

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:31 am »
....but there is no application for melee weapons and you have many more pallet slots taken, right?

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 01:29:31 am »
Yes and no. Yes on the palette as long as you don't actually have to create a weapon with that kind of damage on it, to which the engine switches the weapon you have after applying the negative energy rod, with all the other permutations of things that can go on it on top of that. No because then you have a weapon that is basically useless on all undeads. Whereof you can simply switch arrows when fighting undeads, that weight a lot less than a weapon.

If you have to create a copy of all weapons, with all permutation to give the negative energy damage, then you create a lot more things in the palette. I have never created weapons as of yet using the tool set, so i have no idea if you have to make duplicate of all weapons for all possible permutations.

Ravemore

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:37:02 am »
I do not believe you have that with rods... I may be wrong though. :)

Anyway, lets just leave the thread be without going back and forth and see what input one of our coders or developers has to say. You may be right on all accounts, I don't know, but the thread is starting to away.