The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: pawn shop limit per character and not overall limit.  (Read 3190 times)

Dorganath

Re: pawn shop limit per character and not overall limit.
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »
Just to throw in another bit of perspective...

In towns like Port Hempstead, the store limit is 35,000 True. Smaller towns have stores with lower limits, but I think this serves to illustrate what has been said about the store limits, how they're milked without regard to other players, etc.

Link092

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 06:42:26 pm »
it makes some sense to though (the limit, that is).

Jared in Vehl must get robbed often though....

Lord Dark

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »
All I can think of is decrease the amount of gold that gems can be sold for. You can easily go to the forest giant cave in the Forest of Fog for half a bag of fire opals and then cut/polish them all. Then, you can cut the the stacks of 10 fire opals into stacks of three and sell those for 855 coins each! Totaling up to about 3000 coins for a stack of ten, and then maybe 6000 coins for a decent fire opal trip.

But since gem crafting is probably the highest-gold-earning profession, why not just cut the amount of gold that gems can be sold for? In the past couple of months, there would probably be thousands of fire opals floating around just in Hempstead, Vehl, Mariner's Hold and Prantz that the pawners probably wouldn't buy them anyway. Why not cut prices down on the most common items sold?

Pseudonym

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 07:14:53 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
Just to throw in another bit of perspective...

In towns like Port Hempstead, the store limit is 35,000 True. Smaller towns have stores with lower limits, but I think this serves to illustrate what has been said about the store limits, how they're milked without regard to other players, etc.

Is this something about which you (the coders?) can pull out more detailed information?

Maybe the prospect of being named and shamed might encourage a little bit of consideration from those who, thus far, seem disinclined to think of (a) what is realistic RP and (b) what is fair for all members of the community.

Dorganath

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 11:44:56 pm »
Yeah, we could if we wanted.  From my perspective though, that's an awful lot of time and energy spent for the purpose of shaming a few people.  Besides seeming a misappropriation of precious development resources, it also seems rather mean.

Not that I haven't thought about something like that, but yeah...

Pseudonym

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:18 am »
Yeah, we could if we wanted.  From my perspective though, that's an awful lot of time and energy spent for the purpose of shaming a few people.  Besides seeming a misappropriation of precious development resources, it also seems rather mean.

As I used to say to my mother, "Yeah, but he started it!"

Anyways, for what it's worth, I too agree with OsX's post and also Twidget's post - being a modified version of PnP's only-open-to-certain-levels idea.

lonnarin

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:34 am »

Set CNR items to "stolen".  There, no pawning. No new codes.  Just gems used for jewelcraft and nothing else.

Lynn1020

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2009, 11:48:37 am »
There were several great idea's here.  Anyway some of them can be implemented?

I personally think that crafted items should not be able to be pawned.

Also love the ideas that certain pawnshops only buy from certain levels or pawnshops will only buy so much from each character.

Dorganath

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2009, 01:15:24 pm »
Quote from: Lynn1020
There were several great idea's here.  Anyway some of them can be implemented?

I personally think that crafted items should not be able to be pawned.

Also love the ideas that certain pawnshops only buy from certain levels or pawnshops will only buy so much from each character.

I actually had some plans for something like this for the last update, but I realized to do it right, I needed more time than I had.  

So best I can say is: stay tuned :)

And for those of you who have fabulously rich characters already, stop plundering the pawn shops already!  ;)

Chazzler

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 11:15:36 am »
Having pawn shops not to buy crafted items, would end up with huge amounts of stored crafted items, and this would cause house repopulations to lag the server humongously. Also player inventories might be full of crafted gems etc.

And it would not be sort of fitting for every character in Layo to think 1 of the 2 lines below:

"Heck, just smithed 10 adamantium helmets, I think I'll just dump them in the trash". <-- not especially likely for say a Dorand-worshipper.

or

"I am a Corathite, but I think I will donate these 100 enchanted gems to the Mistone Defense funds, because I sometimes get this good streak".

The Angels guildhouse, when repopulated early after a server reset tends to lag the server so much, that every player lag-crashes from the server.
I don't think anyone wants this to be the situation for say 50% of the player housing...

Edit: Did not see this on Lonn's post at first 8)
Just gems used for jewelcraft and nothing else.

Lynn1020

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 11:49:26 am »
I say yes if you do not follow  a god or have some cause to donate the goods to then ... trash them.  I have trashed many bows with Emie. Amanda donates most of the items she produces and do not use.  I have been guilty as well of pawning a few opals to get coins for boat tickets or whatever.  But it has not been many times.

I think guilds should not have a problem with trashing crafted items that do not sell. They could even come up with their own cause to donate the items to. ;) I think it would much more difficult for the independent crafter to trash their work.  For it is much harder for them to get the cnr to be able to craft.  But draining the pawn shops with bows, gems, jewelry etc ruins it for everyone else.

We do not have to hang on to every little thing we find or craft.  It is just a waste of space.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »
Honestly... these ideas do nothing for the low level character. It boils down to getting the people who have high priced items to stopping selling them.

I'm getting to the point that it's so hard to advance a lower level character that I don't bother to create one. When it costs 10... 20... 30... thousand trues to get equipment for a lower level with NO guild connections... Its BS that the lower levels (and people who can't play every day) can't use the pawn shops.

I'm beginning to play only one PC cause I can't advance any other without spending the one day a week I have to play collecting junk to sell to the guilds so I can afford equiptment since I can't sell what I have to the pawners.

Merlin34.

Dorganath

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 09:36:16 pm »
Exactly, which is why I said before that people who really don't need the money shouldn't be rushing the pawn shops and depleting their reserves with all the junk they've picked up adventuring or made while crafting since the prior reset.

At least until something is put in place to alleviate the strain, people in the community should keep this in mind as a courtesy to others.

davidhoff

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 10:26:00 pm »
One suggestion that might help is for the more experienced characters to use the pawn shops that are far away from the start up areas and leave the areas like Vehl, Hempstead, Wayfare, etc. to the lower level characters.

Also, I have a question regarding donating things that's kinda relevant.  How much value of items donated will give you a one percent reduction in buying things from that temple? (ie, if you donate 100,000 in value of items you might get a 1% discount on buying healing potions from that temple?)

Thanks

Lynn1020

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »
Quote from: merlin34baseball
Honestly... these ideas do nothing for the low level character. It boils down to getting the people who have high priced items to stopping selling them.

I think that some of these things will help stop this.  So in the end it will help the lower level characters.  I really do not see a need for high levels to use a pawnshop.

twidget658

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:01 pm »
Quote from: Lynn1020
I think that some of these things will help stop this. So in the end it will help the lower level characters. I really do not see a need for high levels to use a pawnshop.

Especially since...

...the party level restrictions have been removed and low level charatcers are making runs for high level CNR.

...multiple PCs from the same player using the guild for credit that another one of their PCs is a member of.

...store credit.

..."gifts".

Just to name a few. The economy system is basically turning up-side-down.

jrizz

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2009, 11:48:35 am »
Exactly, which is why I said before that people who really don't need the money shouldn't be rushing the pawn shops and depleting their reserves with all the junk they've picked up adventuring or made while crafting since the prior reset.

At least until something is put in place to alleviate the strain, people in the community should keep this in mind as a courtesy to others.

This is the best way, self discipline folks. Do you really need 500k+ true in the bank? Sure if you are saving for something but once you have most of what you need (for a time) why try to bank up so much gold?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2009, 12:13:01 pm »
The economy system is basically turning up-side-down.

Turning? Heh, it's been "upside-down" for as long as I've played on Layo. But that's another discussion.

cbnicholson

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 12:48:31 pm »
My 2 cents, I like the idea of limiting pawn shops to lower level characters, particularly in the starting areas of Hempstead, Wayfare, Leringard, and Vehl.  Low lvl characters are starving for true, its the primary driver why the Angel's policy of bartering finished goods for cnr is so popular.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

jrizz

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2009, 01:43:15 pm »
Quote from: cbnicholson
My 2 cents, I like the idea of limiting pawn shops to lower level characters, particularly in the starting areas of Hempstead, Wayfare, Leringard, and Vehl. Low lvl characters are starving for true, its the primary driver why the Angel's policy of bartering finished goods for cnr is so popular.

Sure that would be great but if they are serving low levels then they dont have to be the top payment pawn shops as well.

anything