The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Persistant chest improvement?  (Read 139 times)

darkwulf365

Persistant chest improvement?
« on: November 27, 2005, 07:55:00 pm »
First off, this isn't a grievance, I can get these things back, just a thought to make sure this doesn't happen to somebody else.

Before a server crash on west, Daren had just taken out 1 blank crystal rod I, an enchanted crystal rod II, and enough materials to create 2 new blank rod I's (2 lumps of coal, and 8 glass ingots).  All of these items came from a chest at his house at 171 Blackford.  Walking back toward Hlint, the server died at the east exit from Fort Llast (so think the time to run through 2.5 areas, non hasted).  Relogged after recovery, found out the items weren't in the inventory.  Assumed they were in the chest still.  Returnedto the house later, found out the items *weren't* in the chest, or in inventory.

Now...would it be possible to change the persistant chest so that it would force committing it's inventory, and the PC's inventory to the database upon opening and then closing the chest?   If that would be too lag heavy, It could be modified to work like a CNR tool, which only trips the crafting menu upon a change in the tool's inventory;  i.e. The chest would only performs a forced commit upon putting something in, or taking something out and then 'closing' the chest.  And would this also be a step toward fixing the stuck-open chest bug?  By making the forced commit occur after a change in inventory and after the user hits 'close', the database will always be updated to it's most recent.  *Is trying to remember back to something he read regarding items in chests etc, blueprints, and actual inventory*

Anyways, I consider this to be a somewhat rare instance, and I've read that 171 Blackford has had it's share of problems in the past.  So, just a thought to keep in mind whenever Orth gets bored :)

anything