The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Potions and Oils  (Read 342 times)

Talan Va'lash

Potions and Oils
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
Just some ideas, as the potions in NWN are not very varried.  Also, I think potions are good things to have in drops.  They're fun, they're usefull, and they're single use.  The only problem is the enemies tend to use them before you manage to kill them...

Potion of Endure Elements
1 Flask, 1 Essence of bless, 1 dust of fire agate, 1 dust of adventurine, 1 dust of phenelope, 1 dust of amathyst

Oil of Magic Weapon
1 Flask, 1 Essence of power, 2 powdered carbon

Potion of Displacement
1 Flask, 1 Essence of Vanishing, 1 Twisted Leather strip

Potion of Ultravision
1 Flask, 1 Essence of sight, 2 madder flowers

Potion of Mage Armor
1 Flask, 1 Essence of cunning, 2 Strips of cured leather

Oil of Greater Magic Weapon (+2)
1 Flask, 2 Essence of power, 2 Dust of Alexandrite, 4 Powdered carbon

Oil of Keenness
1 Flask, 1 Essence of Bless, 1 Essence of speed, 1 Fire Opal Dust

Potion of Remove Fear
1 Flask, 1 Essence of Wisdom, 2 sage leaf, 2 dust of fire agate

Potion of Luck (resistance)
1 Flask, 1 essence of knowledge, 1 clover

Edit: added potion of luck/resistance

vgn

RE: Potions and Oils
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
Some good ideas, but they recipes need to be balanced for several of those.
Also your Oil of Keenness already exists as Oil of Sharpness or some such thing.

ZeroVega

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 02:14:00 pm »
  Few things.

• There already is something in alchemy that gives Keen to a weapon for a short amount of time. Can't remember what it's called, but it's there and is/should be waaaay tougher to make than you've got there. (Guy holds rapier, 18-20 Crit Threat Range, has Improved Critical, it's now 15-20, uses keen thingie, it's now 10-20?) Anyway, it's one of the best spells/spell effects in game and should be tough to make.
    • Remove Fear is kinda redundant cause if you're afraid you won't be able to drink the potion anyway. ^_^ I assume you want it to be a Target potion, but it'll be kinda hard to administer when the feared person is running away from everyone.
    • Also Ultravision kinda stinks
     And if you want to get really technical, Magic Weapons well, I don't think they stack with weapons that already have an enchantment, it just goes to the higher one, and by the time you can make the potion you'll have an Iron/Oak weapon of some sort. Don't mean to be a bubble burster but... *pops a few bubbles* It's just so much fun. ZV-

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
I like the Endure Elements especially.

A potion of Remove Fear would have to be targeted, right?  Because it doesn't do much good as a self-use.
(Edit: ZV beat me to it *shakes fist in mock anger*)

Since we're dreaming, how about a Potion of Mind Blank? (Recipie to be determined later)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
vgn:  Youre right, I dont know my alchemy so well.  But... you do. *hint hint* hehe.  So, yeah, i basically just put up some recepies that seemed to make a bit of sense.  Feel free to make better ones.  Acctually, please do : )  oh, and I forgot about the oil of sharpness, so that one is unnessesary.

ZV: Remove fear removes fear and gives you a +4 to saves vs fear for the duration (or something like that.)  So, targeted or not, its still usefull before battle.  Magic weapon doesn't stack.  I'm aware of that.  The first potion would have limited usefullness by the time you'd end up making it, but, you can sell potions to lower levels, and the +2 potion would be usefull untill the lower teens at least.  And a +3 verson of the potion is always possible, but I didnt want to suggest it as it might be a bit powerfull *shrugs*

As for ultravision *looks back to ZVs post* It stinks?!  You stink!  Ultravision is cool.  It also has interesting combat possibilities, that I would think you would be familiar with playing a drow char.

steverimmer

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
Thats something I've always wanted in alchemy...a potion of ultravison...oh and also a potion of true sight.

vgn

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:03:00 pm »
I'm not really the best balancer, but taking what I know of the alchemy in game and the power of spell effects I would toss out these recipes:

1 Flask
1 Essense of Power
1 dust of Topaz
1 dust of Fire Opal
1 dust of Sapphire
-OR-
1 Flask
1 Essense of Elements (1 dust of Topaz, 1 dust of Fire Opal, 1 dust of Sapphire)
1 Clove of Garlic

Oil of Magic Weapon
1 Flask
1 Ingot of Iron
1 Cherry Juice
2 Bags of Oak Saw Dust
1 Essense of Power

Oil of Greater Magic Weapon
1 Flask
1 Ingot of Adamantium
2 Cherry Juice
2 Bags of Mahogany Saw Dust
2 Essense of Power

Powder of Displacement
1 Leather Pouch
1 Essense of Vanishing
1 Dust of Diamond

Potion of Ultravision
1 Flask
1 Essense of Sight
1 Catnip Leaf

Potion of Mage Armor
I'm not sure about this one. Might not even want/need it, the helm of armor exists out there

Potion of Luck
Actually your recipe isn't too bad here.

Potion of Remove/Resist Fear
Your recipe isn't horrible here either. If we want to increase the rarity we can switch the fire agate for another

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 05:28:00 pm »
vgn:  About potion of mage armor/helm of armor... youre right.  I hope those helms are taken out.  Maybe make it.. Shield of faith? Magic Vestment?

Potion of endure elements - I like both your recepies, with a slight preference to the essence of elements one.  Using the essence of elements allows for potions of protection from elements or whichever is the next one up from endure.

Oils of Magic Weapon/Greater Magic Weapon - I like youre reasoning on these, but I dont think the +2 will get made.  Adamantium is not easy to mine.  perhaps as a compromise make them nuggets instead of ingots.  This wont impact the iron as 1 nugget=1 ingot, but it will make the adamantium not so bad.  My thought about using the metals, is that if you can get them, you could just not make the potion and make a +1 or +2 weapon.

Powder (or potion) of displacement - Diamond dust is a bit rough for a one time use item that will last 5 rounds.  This recepie should be about on the same level as potion of speed, as the spells are the same level and same duration.

Ultravision - I like that! hehe, catnip, cats see in the dark.

oh, a last thought on the mage armor/shield of faith/magic vestment potion, we could make it magic vestment and use similar recepies as the magic weapon potions once we get them hammered out, for the +1 and +2 versions.

Anyway, youre recepies are 10 times better than mine were.  Thanks for making them.

ZeroVega

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 05:45:00 pm »
  Talan. Ultravision dose suck and so you do! ;) And cats don't see in the dark, they can simply take in more of the very scarce light around them so it makes it seem like they see in the dark. Regardless it's a good recipie. *walks off muttering and smelling his armpits* .....do I really stink?

vgn

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 06:35:00 pm »
Talan Va'lash - 5/9/2005  5:28 PM
Oils of Magic Weapon/Greater Magic Weapon - I like youre reasoning on these, but I dont think the +2 will get made.  Adamantium is not easy to mine.  perhaps as a compromise make them nuggets instead of ingots.  This wont impact the iron as 1 nugget=1 ingot, but it will make the adamantium not so bad.  My thought about using the metals, is that if you can get them, you could just not make the potion and make a +1 or +2 weapon.

Powder (or potion) of displacement - Diamond dust is a bit rough for a one time use item that will last 5 rounds.  This recepie should be about on the same level as potion of speed, as the spells are the same level and same duration.

On the oils. I based the idea of them off of the Oil of Sharpness which already exists. That recipe requires an ingot of adamantium. The Magic Weapon requiring only iron means it will get made more, but I think the Greater needs to be difficult. As stated previously by the time you can actually craft the oil of Greater, you likely will own an ada sword anyway. I can see the argument for maybe just a nugget. Like I said I'm not a balancer by any means, but if this oil were to have any chance of existing it would have to be expensive/difficult.

On the displacement. Displacement is a 3rd level spell and it is powerful. Yes, the diamond makes it rare and difficult, but other potions/essense require diamond dust too. I would probably stand by the diamond dust, but if it was changed I would recommend nothing less than fire opal then.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 09:37:00 pm »
Oils - interesting... I'd never looked at the recepie for that before.  Thats acctually more reasonable for the oil of sharpness in my mind, since the oil of sharpness will be helpfull no matter what weapon you have (assuming non-blunt melee weapon.)  In essence, its benefits stack with any weapon regardless of its other bonus' (only taking craftable weapons into account here.)  So, its usefullness its pretty much open ended, it can remain being usefull well after youre reasonably able to get adamantium.

However, the GMW +2 oil, is only usefull before you have an adamantium weapon.  Using an ingot of adamantium for this potion is kindof like a wizard buying a scroll of a new spell: he can cast the spell from the scroll using it once, or he can learn it and cast it as many times as he wants.

This example is a bit of an exaddgeration, but, thats my reasoning against the adamantium.  Really, I'm against using a nugget of adamantium too, but I think that might be a fair middle ground.

Potion of displacement - I'd push for fire opal rather than diamond on this one.  Haste and displacement are of about eqivalent power...  I think haste is more powerfull, but some may argue that.  So, I think their ingredients should be of similar... um, calibur.

Potion of haste:
Essence of speed - 2 Thistle Leaves, 2 Hops Flowers, glass vial
Flask
3 Dust of Sapphire

Working from that, it seems that this would be reasonable.

Potion of displacement (or powder):
Essence of vanishing - 2 Skullcap leaves, 3 dust of garnet, glass vial
flask (or pouch)
3 Dust of fire opal

Both garnets and fire opals are harder to mine than sapphires I believe.

Edit: I think we've got a pretty solid list of potions and possible recepies here.  Maybe we can think of an alternate recepie for the GMW oils and let L or Orth make the final call on it as well as the fire opal/diamond dust decision for the dust of displacement.

lonnarin

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 06:41:00 pm »
Dude... a beer that removes fear.  Target potion, yes... but you can run up to a party member and use it on him no problem.  WHile he's squealin, tilt his head back and shove it down his gullet.  Lowers intelligence like ale and cures all current fear effect.

Oat Wort
Head of the Goblin Chieftain (soaks in the brew for flavor)
Eldarberry Juice
1 full uncooked trout (still wiggling, if possible)
1 Gravedust
4 brewing bottles (makes 4pack touch potion)
1 spoonfulla sugar tah make dat medicine go down.
1 clove garlic

disease risk DC 10...  but if you can get past the wretching and are brave enough to quaff this... hey, the beastie dont seem too bad

Ironguts House Special! ah calls it a Frothmonster Quencher!

anything