The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Random spawns  (Read 423 times)

davidhoff

Random spawns
« on: October 20, 2010, 06:13:28 am »
Was wondering (with the new update coming up) if it was possible for the team to desginate an area or certain areas to generate random/different spawns.  For example, lets take the roughlands, say you kill off the golem spawns...is it possible for it to be coded so the next spawn would be chosen randomly from a pre-set list of creatures (trollocs, giants, spiders, etc.)?  Or maybe possible for it to randomly change upon each server re-set?  Just curious because it might be nice to have some of the areas changing a bit.

The following users thanked this post: Hellblazer

Hellblazer

Re: Random spawns
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21:57 am »
That would be a nice touch. A bit more challenging in balancing things instead of a regular one type spawn, but still would be very nice to see.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:05:39 am »
Quote from: davidhoff
Was wondering (with the new update coming up) if it was possible for the team to desginate an area or certain areas to generate random/different spawns.  For example, lets take the roughlands, say you kill off the golem spawns...is it possible for it to be coded so the next spawn would be chosen randomly from a pre-set list of creatures (trollocs, giants, spiders, etc.)?  Or maybe possible for it to randomly change upon each server re-set?  Just curious because it might be nice to have some of the areas changing a bit.

Well you know, it's a little late to ask for something for the upcoming update when I say it's coming soon. *winks*

Broadening the question to whether or not it's possible...a qualified yes, though I put the likelihood somewhat low.

NWN doesn't give us much of an opportunity to randomize encounter spawns through its standard system.  It does "randomly" pick from a list of creatures that are configured in the encounter trigger, but its decision is based on creature CR and party CR primarily, which ends up not being as random as one might like.  To enact a truly variable/semi-random spawning system, we'd pretty much have to create our own from scratch (and I have a fair idea how to do this), which has its own challenges such as balancing how creatures are produced by the spawns (numbers, CR, etc.), and this is what I would count in the "not likely" category.

We have already modified the encounter system somewhat such that we can control whether or not an encounter triggers at all using a GM tool in-game, and we can control the time of day (to a degree) that an encounter does trigger, which currently is basically "day", "night" or "always".  There's also a "noon" and "midnight" option.  Anyway, potentially this can be expanded for some randomization, but it does require that we paint down and configure a separate encounter for each possibility. Of course, one of the challenges here is that we don't get too many of them triggering too close together, because that would generally be bad on a couple of different levels. It's not insurmountable, but it's a challenge all the same.

Incidentally, the day/night ability is in use in a few places right now (though it's possible/likely you've never noticed), and it will be used in a few more places with the coming update, though it has primarily been used in lower-level locations.  

I'll say that the general idea, that of variability, is one I've been tossing around for some time now, and one that will likely be a product of the update process rather than any sort of automated system. That said, don't expect I will tell you all when and where such a thing happens.

In the mean time, if the Same Ol' Spawns are getting you down, try RP!  It has no sugar, no artificial sweeteners and no calories, yet it fills you up and gets you through the day.  Try a free sample* at your nearest Layonara server today! *winks*

* Money-back guarantee. Void where prohibited. Not valid with any other offers or coupons. Some assembly required. Not a weight-loss product.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:06:03 am »
Oh and moving this to a more appropriate location...

anything