The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Rangers Polymorph spell  (Read 759 times)

steverimmer

Rangers Polymorph spell
« on: April 18, 2005, 08:39:00 am »
I was just looking at the spells a ranger can cast and at level 4 the ranger gets a polymorph self spell which is exactly the same as the wizard/sorcerer one.  This means he can transform into a Pixie, Troll, Umber Hulk, Giant Spider or Zombie.  This seems a bit odd for a ranger especially turning into a Zombie or Umber Hulk.  I wondered if it would be possible to change this spell to a more rangerish one perhaps a selection of animals that would suit a ranger more?

I'm sorry for any rangers who really like this spell but I just though it looked a bit odd for a spell a ranger would cast.

RE: Rangers Polymorph spell
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
*puts on spectacles, combs back his hair Einstein style, and dons a white lab coat*

You see here me friend *points at a chalkboard with gibberish things that are mock quantum physics calculations*, zee problem wit zat iz it affekts zee mage spell if you be changing zee ranger spells ya?

(Not trying to be negative, just have a bit of fun since I'm vibrating from caffine *grin*)

steverimmer

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 11:02:00 am »
*grins* hehe I know that...what I was suggesting was replacing the spell with something else.  Perhaps another polymorph spell maybe based on animals or perhaps another useful spell instead like Barkskin (which is a PnP ranger spell, why its not in NWN I don't know) or perhaps something else entirely.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
The way I understand it, there's a "spell hooking" system introduced with one of the updates from Bioware in the last year or so, which allows module builders to intercept a spell being cast and have different things happen.  This opens the door to wild magic, dead/null magic, and possibly even differing effects based upon which class has cast the spell.

I would also point out that the diety-specific summons here on Layo are a class-specific customization of a spell that is in both the divine and arcane spell lists.

orth

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 02:23:00 pm »
Moving to suggestions. Would be nice for the Animal Domain too ;)

steverimmer

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
Heh while you're at it I think the Druid 9th level spell 'Shapechange' could be looked at as well....hehe it has a weird selection of creatures for the druid to change into including a Golem :)

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 04:13:00 pm »
If you ever see rhizome stomping around as a golem you would shut up hehehe He's tough as hails in that form.

I am very happy for the No PVP Rule..that would suck so badly if you epics snapped on us

Shadowblade225

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 10:22:00 am »
Yup, always had this question too.  The Fey I could see but the Zombie..no.  It'd be nice to transform into a wolf or a badger or some other animal influding the fey.  That would be really nice.

steverimmer - 4/18/2005  11:39 AM

I was just looking at the spells a ranger can cast and at level 4 the ranger gets a polymorph self spell which is exactly the same as the wizard/sorcerer one.  This means he can transform into a Pixie, Troll, Umber Hulk, Giant Spider or Zombie.  This seems a bit odd for a ranger especially turning into a Zombie or Umber Hulk.  I wondered if it would be possible to change this spell to a more rangerish one perhaps a selection of animals that would suit a ranger more?

I'm sorry for any rangers who really like this spell but I just though it looked a bit odd for a spell a ranger would cast.

Avenge

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 10:00:00 pm »
    If you're gonna do that then the more powerful forms like the Umber Hulk would have to find Ranger-Friendly equivalents. I know the CEP has some new creatures and a couple that would do. Or perhaps in place of the Umber Hulk a Dire Tiger?

lonnarin

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
    Fey variants, powerful animals and magic beasts would make an excellent substitute.  For example,

Blink Dog- a wolf form with 50% natural displacement already on it so that people quit casting imp invis so often just for conceal bonus.  Higher movement rate than normal, high skills in search for tracking and listen thanks to its highly sensitive ears, not to mention tumble.  It'd be the ultimate tracking form for rangers.

Treant- ohhhh yeah, treeform shifting would be a way wicked bruiser variant to replace umberhulk.  weak against fire, but something must be said for something 2 houses tall and made of barkskin

Griffon!-  hoooyah!  But only if you let Bjorn ride ye!  Was also considering Roc, but people would exploit it by snatching wales for fishing xp. ;)

Something plantlike- shambling mound?  in this form one could cast entangle at will and be immune to it, able to speak to plants with ease

The octopus from Goonies: the deleted scenes- can only be thwarted by stereo to the belly

Monkey shape- nice dex and tumbling, slings unlimited stinky ammo that causes blindness and possible cha drain to foes

perhaps were-forms would be an interesting substitute.  Being half animal/half man and uncursed seems fairly nature-friendly

Those purple hypnotic snakes are wicked flankers and dazers.  would likely get a lot of use

definitely keept the pixie- very nature friendly form with fun skills

also some new druid shift forms to help them blend in with standard denizens of local towns

-Pack ox, cow, chicken, puppy.  I wouldnt make these feat required as there's little combat use for them, but adding them to the standard shift list would give druids more options like they have in pnp.  What makes them useful is that they'd be indistinguishable from other animals already around, helping the druids with their espionage a bit.

now I wonder what happens to the eggs a druid lays if she switches out of chicken form...

A druidic alter self ability would be interesting as well.  shapeshift into a dwarf, human, elf, halfling, gnome, orc, half-orc or bugbear form, but with no stat change in effect (alter self alters appearance, not ability)  That could definitely be a feat for them to take at their own discression. (I think its unlimited too) This ability got scrapped by NWN but still remains a healthy part of a standard druid's armaments in PnP today.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
    Ya a dire animal would be great and i already have some stellar RP ideas if Nith could transform into a treant.

steverimmer

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 10:58:00 am »
    heh I like the idea of a treant...I seem to remember that in PnP they could transform into a normal tree...that would be great but only if it made enemies non hostile for the duration of the spell.  Unless they wanted firewood of course :)

Variable

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
    lonnarin - 6/13/2005  10:38 AM

Fey variants, powerful animals and magic beasts would make an excellent substitute.  For example,

Blink Dog- a wolf form with 50% natural displacement already on it so that people quit casting imp invis so often just for conceal bonus.  Higher movement rate than normal, high skills in search for tracking and listen thanks to its highly sensitive ears, not to mention tumble.  It'd be the ultimate tracking form for rangers.

Treant- ohhhh yeah, treeform shifting would be a way wicked bruiser variant to replace umberhulk.  weak against fire, but something must be said for something 2 houses tall and made of barkskin

Griffon!-  hoooyah!  But only if you let Bjorn ride ye!  Was also considering Roc, but people would exploit it by snatching wales for fishing xp. ;)

Something plantlike- shambling mound?  in this form one could cast entangle at will and be immune to it, able to speak to plants with ease

I like these. If these replaced the standard polymorph list for rangers and clerics with animal domain it would be great. I think it would add a lot of Rp to it.

Crunch

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »
    I am wondering about the suggestion that druids be able to transform into chickens.  Would they be able to lay eggs?  *eyes scribing supplies thoughtfully*

steverimmer

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »
    I am wondering about the suggestion that druids be able to transform into chickens. Would they be able to lay eggs? *eyes scribing supplies thoughtfully*
       So if we see someone walking around painfully and wincing with every step we can assume he's a ranger :)

lonnarin

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 01:57:00 pm »
    Lol, I'd rule that the eggs they'd lay would revert into poop or dead babies once they got polymorphed back. ;)

Might make for an interesting prank on Sin'Dolin next time he's buying eggs!

twidget658

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2005, 08:23:00 pm »
    This is an interesting topic to bring up again. Since the ranger's bless spell was just change to Ranger Valor, it appears to be able to change this spell as well.

Animal forms would be more appropriate for rangers.

Just something to think about.

Guardian 452

RE: Rangers Polymorph spell IDEA
    « Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 10:20:00 pm »
    Now this just hit me like a TON O BRICKS

Why not make the Pollymorph forms that of your favored enemies!!!!

WOW... I really like this idea

Lets see Enzo has:

Animal
    Goblinoid
    Giant
    Undead
    Elf (for drow)

Now yes there are Dragons and other bad a$$ favored enemies... but each form you turn into has its advantages and diss-advantages. None would be UBER over another really... to keep it fair.

Going back to Pan's Ranger descriptions.... I really see this as making sense that a Ranger would be so focused on his/her favored enemy that with time and training he can take their form.

Thoughts!!?!??!?!?!

twidget658

RE: Rangers Polymorph spell IDEA
    « Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 12:04:00 am »
    Not a bad idea. Is there a way that when you take their form that you can mingle with them without them attacking you? A way to invade their numbers to study them more.

Mine are:
    Elementals
    Giants
    Undead
    Monstrous Humanoids

It would be interesting to say the least.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
    Lon... did... did you just suggest monkey with unlimited sticky ammo? O.O

*shudders*