The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Re: Rapid Shot / Precise Strike  (Read 256 times)

Pen N Popper

Re: Rapid Shot / Precise Strike
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:11:51 pm »
I am an inept NWN player and would -love- to have all of the feats able to turn on/stay on.  Is this possible?

blonde

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:15:29 pm »
Not everyone would want it to be on all the time. It comes with a cost to AB, and sometimes that is more important than the extra attack.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:24:17 pm »
blonde - 1/29/2006  8:15 PM

Not everyone would want it to be on all the time. It comes with a cost to AB, and sometimes that is more important than the extra attack.

I think the suggestion is to make it toggleable, turning it on once, it stays on till you turn it off again.  I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'd like it too.  Power attack and expertise have the same issue.

Personally I just have rapid shot in F1 and hover over it in combat and rehit it everytime I see it deactivate.

-TV

orth

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:30:29 pm »
I think what he's asking for is so that when you move it doesn't break the Rapid Shot mode or when you fire again, and I presume Pen N Popper is referring to this for something like Power Attack.  The answer is no, there's nothing that can be done for these.  These are core Bioware engine implementations.  Precise Strike is a custom scripted event that simply adds damage to a Duelist's blade.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 07:24:51 pm »
Now, please don't misunderstand, and think I'm demeaning the Team's incredible work with customizing NWN, but... I've seen other games where code was written that essentially reworked the core engine's workings. I imagine that explaining why that's so difficult in NWN would require explaining a lot of programming that I frankly won't understand (though I might get the basic jist... maybe), but is there a simple version?

Curiosity,
~ Stephen

Leanthar

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 07:58:16 pm »
Stephen, give me a solid example, with the code/world and exact situation where the 'core code' of nwn has been overwritten. The 'core code' can NOT be overwritten as it is the programming language of C or whatever Bioware used--NOT NWN script. 'Core code' is NOT nwn scripting (which is a lot of what you see in nwn--fully 60% or more).  We can (and quite often do) overwrite any scripting/2da/etc. coding--but you can not overwrite the C (or whatever language) because there is no way to overwrite said function.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 07:19:35 am »
It wasn't NWN; that's why I only had the question, as opposed to examples. I rather figured that if it were as easy to jack the code in NWN as it was with the various FPSs I've played, (Unreal, Quake, Doom) it would already have been done by our Architect long since, as has been done with the various scripting et al.

So... The C++(or whatever) that runs the core of NWN cannot be tampered with, written over, etc., but what allows so much customization in NWN is the way that most of the game mechanics (e.g. Precise Strike and most of the other things that would go on a character sheet with notes beside them) are programmed in a different way. Right?

Well, there's that. I wonder if NWN2 will be any different...