The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Universal recipe book  (Read 565 times)

Hellblazer

Universal recipe book
« on: June 08, 2010, 02:38:32 pm »
Here is the idea

You have only one book represented in game. The first section gives you all the crafting type there is. (ie tailoring table, tailoring dummy, greater enchanting table etc). When you click on a choice, it gives you the normal choices that you see from the independent cards.

This would solidify in one unit all the cards, and would be easier to use instead of having to keep many cards on your person and searching through your inventory for the right card.

The following users thanked this post: Guardian 452, Jilseponie Wyndon, Ravemore

cbnicholson

Re: Universal recipe book
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:57:44 pm »
I'm not a 100% but I believe Dorg mentioned that the cards actually activate the crafting system and that a book that does all in one would be at best very unwieldy, horrific lag at the worst.  I like the concept myself, but implementation is the issue if I recall correctly from past threads.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

lonnarin

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »
I wouldn't mind an offline version for reference. ;)

Lareth

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »
This was discussed earlier here:

http://forums.layonara.com/nwn-ideas-suggestions-requests/228412-combined-crafting-cards.html

And you're right the main reason for not doing it is the lag the script would cause as it is the same as opening one of every type of crafting device.  

Would be nice to have though ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:33 pm »
Quote from: cbnicholson
I'm not a 100% but I believe Dorg mentioned that the cards actually activate the crafting system and that a book that does all in one would be at best very unwieldy, horrific lag at the worst.  I like the concept myself, but implementation is the issue if I recall correctly from past threads.

Quote from: Lareth
This was discussed earlier here:

http://forums.layonara.com/nwn-ideas-suggestions-requests/228412-combined-crafting-cards.html

And you're right the main reason for not doing it is the lag the script would cause as it is the same as opening one of every type of crafting device.  

Would be nice to have though ;)

*points up* What they said.

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:35 pm »
Would there be a way to only activate the crafting system when the appropriate choice is selected in the main book?

Say you see all the crafting possible, but you only activate the tailoring system when you select Tailoring table.. or tailoring dummy.. As an example. I don't think the book should activate all crafting at once, but only the one you have made a selection to which craft station you want to view.

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »
Are 1x1 cards so difficult to manage?

Yes I know not all crafts have cards, but honestly, that's an easier problem to remedy than shoving them all into a single item.

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:44:57 pm »
Well it's just a thought of simpleness. One you clear up some things you don't have to bring on you. 1 book vs how many cards is there? I know I have all of them permanently on feh in case there is questions that arise due to the shop. And then you have to find them in the inventory, since I have to move them around a lot to manage the inventory on gathering trips and all. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing that. It would simply be a time saver and clutter saver all in one. Plus you could get rid of the copies and maybe save some space on the palette?

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:50 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
I wouldn't mind an offline version for reference. ;)

My brother was working on something for that, but after some time he got to busy in RL to even play so that stopped.

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:29:48 pm »
On the flip side, the system as it is now is very simple. It leverages  the existing crafting station menus and code with wonderful  efficiency.  To shove them all together destroys that efficiency and  elegance, and adds an unneeded layer of complexity from a technical  standpoint.

It would even be easier, less hassle and less to export the database to create an offline version than it would be to stick these all together.

Hellblazer

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 11:14:53 pm »
Well that sounds like a very good idea then.

ycleption

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 11:45:37 pm »
If you keep a lot of them, why can't you just have a box (or two - I don't think there are that many, but maybe...) to keep your recipe cards? They don't move around when you use them, so there's no "shuffling around" inventory, and it takes minimal room in your overall inventory.

Hellblazer

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »
It's a simple matter of already having a lot of bags and boxes on Fehriel (and I'm sure I'm not the only one by a looooong shot) and not wanting to have to carry more, which could potentially have a load on the server when I log on. Even more so when I get into a crafting streak, which is often.

darkstorme

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 12:00:15 am »
This is not a complete version, and some of the recipes may be wrong (I haven't updated it in a while), but I offer this as an option:

Hellblazer

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:33 am »
It's a very good start!

cbnicholson

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 08:43:00 am »
Me Likee!  Shame it lives on your private space, Darkstorme.

Oscar Wilde

darkstorme

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 10:07:58 am »
Well, until yesterday, it was a private project, since I have a very poor memory for the in-game recipes.

Gulnyr

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »
You guys are making me feel a little old.  I love computers and all they can do, but I keep this old timey stuff called paper hanging around that I write on with ink from a pen.  Little spiral notebooks are a great place to write stuff like crafting recipes or info from long quest series, they don't require me to navigate away from NWN to look stuff up, and I get to do work for myself and set things up how I like rather than pester other people and get whatever they toss me.

Yes, Uncle Stegosaurus is fine, thanks.  I'll tell him you said hello.

cbnicholson

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:03 pm »
Little spiral notebooks are a great place to write stuff like crafting  recipes or info from long quest series
 Ayep..but sadly as I get older, my senior moments prevent me from remembering where in said nifty little spiral notebooks I put things.;)  Plus I'm a neat freak and toss everything not vital usually because to my ocd mind, its clutter!

Oscar Wilde