The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Vampires  (Read 625 times)

Deacon

Vampires
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:17:30 pm »
I bet this has been discussed before, but I did a search that rendered nothing.  I have been playing as a Vampire in Oblivion and it got me thinking about how cool it would be to be able to play a vampire on Layo, but there isn't a sublcass for it.  I have played on a different server that had vampires as a player class, so I know it has been done before.  I am thinking that possibly the reason that they are not open for PC's is because of their alignment, but I wanted to hear what others had to say about it.

EdTheKet

Re: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:22:11 pm »
How would you handle daylight?

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:39:02 pm »
Hey, man, fire damage is fun! Right? *Does a quick check.*

D&D Vamps have no aversion to sunlight, though.

D Blaze

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:10:38 pm »
Okay, then how about this?

Somebody that doesn't like you casts Sunburst, make a Reflex or die; or maybe Undeath to Death; or Control Undead; or just beats the stolen blood right out of you with silver weapons then take your pointy teeth as a trophy.

How would you handle healing? If by some miracle you get into a party but get knocked around in combat, someone might run up to you and cast Heal, or any of the Cure spells...your own allies could kill you inadvertantly.

Speaking of blood, how would you feed? The moment you start attacking people for nurishment, you will be marked for extermination. Maybe feeding only on road bandits or animals, but there just isn't a substitute for the blood of helpless young females.

And finally, no Toranite would suffer you to live (it wouldn't matter if you somehow pulled off making a 'good' vampire or there being no PvP rules) The moment they find out what you are, you are 'dead meat', no exceptions.     hehe ;)

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 01:14:27 pm »
First...stay tuned to the future (perhaps distant)--at least things that I want to happen.

"....D&D Vamps have no aversion to sunlight, though...."  In Layonara they will (IF we ever do anything like this).

*zips lips*

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 02:00:32 pm »
Though we'd have to start messing around with the daytime/nighttime settings if we were to have something regarding daylight in regards to vampires.

I mean, Sunlight Aversion's one thing. Taking 1d6 fire every round's tough.

Leanthar

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 02:17:40 pm »
"....Taking 1d6 fire every round's tough...." Clearly we couldn't do this much but I will say it will be a significant amount of damage and will kill a vampire fairly quickly (less than 2-3 minutes RL is likely)--this will be a major drawback to playing vampires--play smart and stay out of the sunlight. IF we ever do vampires or anything like it.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 09:51:47 am »
Leanthar - 3/29/2006  5:17 PM

"....Taking 1d6 fire every round's tough...." Clearly we couldn't do this much but I will say it will be a significant amount of damage and will kill a vampire fairly quickly (less than 2-3 minutes RL is likely)--this will be a major drawback to playing vampires--play smart and stay out of the sunlight. IF we ever do vampires or anything like it.

Seeing how an hour is about four minutes, and at any given time you have fourty eight minutes of night, I really feel that Vampires are just too impractical to be fun to play. Sure, you will be all dark and brooding, lamenting your lost love and mortality, but you'll be a functional nightmare. Negative energy would heal you, healing spells would damage you, you'd have all sorts of immunities, and whatever else is factored into the subrace. Not to mention what I can only assume will be a hefty ECL.

But, I am also a big fan of White Wolf's setting and Vampires in general. I get a real kick out of reading those webpages written by real-life "Vampyres", and mocking their terrible poety, while secretly wishing I lacked the self-confidence and respect to do it myself.

This idea is entirely too complicated in my opinion, and I do not really feel any of us are ready to play a Vampire, atleast as a new character.

Leanthar

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 10:55:44 am »
@Eight-Bit, you may be right.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 12:38:47 pm »
D Blaze - 3/29/2006  9:10 PM

And finally, no Toranite would suffer you to live (it wouldn't matter if you somehow pulled off making a 'good' vampire or there being no PvP rules) The moment they find out what you are, you are 'dead meat', no exceptions.     hehe ;)

*chuckles* I could already imagine the amount of 'friendly fire' when using Turn Undead if the party decided to go clear out some crypts. ;)

The whole idea is very neat, though. ;)

EdTheKet

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 01:41:36 pm »
no Toranite would suffer you to live (it wouldn't matter if you somehow pulled off making a 'good' vampire or there being no PvP rules) The moment they find out what you are, you are 'dead meat', no exceptions

Acutally, it would matter if it was a good vampire. Re-read the dogma:
"Protect the realms and rout injustice wherever you find it. Raise up the weak and empower them, so that they might see the strength of Toran. Seek out the servants of evil, most notably those who follow Corath and Pyrtechon, and bring them to justice. Be a shining example of goodness and righteousness by bringing order and safety to the lands. Your word is your bond."
A good vampire who only drinks the blood of animals (assuming that would be enough to satiate said vampire) would have nothing to fear from a Toranite.

feniox

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 03:25:38 pm »
If vampire PCs were allowed I would be the first to jump at it, but I also agree that there are too many things to overcome with them.

In addition to the mechanical problems mentioned above, look at the submissions issue. You would be inundated with applicants for these, and I think the restrictions on playing them would have to be pretty high just to keep them down. Can you imagine a vampire community living in and operating around Hlint? No, neither can I.

I also think Vampires are better left as dark brooding types than having good-natured ones. Let's face it, if you yourself were a vampire and had all their strengths and abilities, would you really hang around and befriend your food and force yourself to feed on "lesser" creatures? I know I certainly wouldn't. Vampires are something to fear, not something to befriend, and if there were friendly vampires we would have a repeat of the Drow situation (don't get me wrong, Drow are my favourite PC race) - you take one inherently evil race, place a minute number of them as "good" characters, and then the threat seems somehow lesser. When I joined layo there was this whole feeling of fear around because of the Drow threat, but now that is gone. Same as with a lot of the other subraces. Would we really want something as traditionally terrible as vampires being accepted in this manner?

Those are my thoughts anyway :)

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 04:57:08 pm »
I can see if vampire PCs are allowed we would get Blade I,II,III and so on in the character discription.
From my knowledge vampires are evil,so that wouldnt mess well with the non-evil world.

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 07:43:33 am »
speaking of blade Force maybe where the full vampire wouldn't work, the Half-Vampire might. I would love to see Lycanthropes as well but as D Blaze said the moment you wigged out and changed on the full moon and ate someone it would just be a matter of time until you were hunted down. IMO Buffy and Angel can suck a lemon because to me the very act of changing into a Vampire corrupts the soul wether you were a Paladin of Goodytwoshoes the God of Uber Goodness or not. Many may disagree with my opinion but to me thats what it means, you lose your old soul and even though you retain memories etc from life you also take upon a more malevolent soul as a part of the transformation into undeath. Of course this may shoot my Idea for half-Vamps down in  flames too but I don't think so, it would be fantastic to RP the spirit constantly at war with itself, you still have the capacity to do good yet the darkness threatens to overtake your soul at every opportunity. Of course the same could be said for any Char on Layo except with a Half-Vamp it's like a haste spell on speed. HeHe
Peace
Den

Ne'er

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 09:41:05 am »
I had always figured if you became avampire you had to have some pretty big life-altering things to occur for that to happen. So I would imagine it would be difficult for most players to be a level 1 vampire. However, I could see vampire happening more if it were attainable through a CDQ, from either failure or success, and I can't imagine it would be too easy a CDQ either.

Just my thoughts on it.

Ar7

RE: Vampires
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 10:09:22 am »
I would rather not touch the Vampires and the Lycanthropes and everything similar. We already have too much friendship on Layonara, I am speaking of the love towards drow, giants, orcs etc. So even though vampires would be fun to play, the won't work realistically on Layonara. It can be written that they must be hated, but they will probably be friends with a bunch of people in a matter of days.

Witch Hunter

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 10:18:32 am »
I think this should be a limited race...
What do I mean by that? I mean it should be a reward to long-time roleplayers who really really really kickass.
People who've played for a while and are really good roleplayers could get the option to make a vampire character and have him start at level 5 lets say to represent his strength.

That way it wont be a fresh level 1 character, and you won't have half the world running around drinking blood.
That way you could also break the evil limit, a well known roleplayer would have no problem playing an evil char.

Grid Blader

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 01:26:33 pm »
Who says all vampires are or have to be evil?  Lets say one has been bitten and is able to remain good?  The feeding will be tough but there could be ways around it?  Ok never mind I am out of my mind.  That is what happens when I dont get atleast 4 hours of sleep.

D Blaze

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 02:06:18 pm »
If a character is made, and allowed, to start out as a vampire, there is no reason to give them a fast-lvl up from 1 to 5.
Their ECL would jump considerably though.
Afterall, they will have the Undead traits, that means immunity to crits, sneak attack, sleep, death magic, lots of mind control, possibly a little in the way of damage reduction, maybe some stat bonuses too, I think immunity to hold spells. There could be some regeneration in there too, but that is at L's discretion. And they are immortal of all things, they could theoretically outlive everyone and everything(including dragons).
And as for weaknesses, they have the light issue, are affected by undead-specific spells and abilities, inversely affected by healing and negative energy, allergy to silver, they got to feed on blood and ..... well, you know....the whole 'no heartbeat' thing.
There is no reason to give them a faster lvl up to a certain point, they are powerful enough from the start.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 06:39:40 pm »
I think that he just wasn't understanding the whole ECL thing... Heh. Took me some extensive reading to finally understand it, myself, back in the day.

In any case... I have to agree with Feniox. There's just no reason I, for one, would want to pick one up, unless some nice, heavy clothing would turn away the sun. Maybe have full panther-gear repel sunlight? Requiring at least the cloak and hood... If there's no hood, we could make one.

Still, that would allow Vampies to run around in sunlight all they wanted, more or less, so that would kill balance.

For now, I think we should just keep them an NPC class, until we get better coding control of night and day.

anything