The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Weapon Finesse & Fashion Accessories?  (Read 494 times)

Nehetsrev

Weapon Finesse & Fashion Accessories?
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:06:39 pm »
A few days back I was noticing that the 'fan' (a modified tambourine made to look like a fan) that my character was using to fight with for fun wasn't getting the bonus from my character's dexterity that other light weapons do. I read the description of the Weapon Finesse feat and realized with disappointment that Fashion Accessory type weapons don't work with it. I remember that years ago it was said that due to the way NWN was coded, they couldn't be either. Now I'm wondering if, with some of the more recent updates to NWN itself, it might now be possible?

Otherwise, could it be made possible to take something like a kukri (requiring the Exotic Weapons feat) and add the fan (and/or other fashion accessory item type models) to the weapon customization forge options?

If nothing like the above options can be done, perhaps the bolded portion of the description from LORE should be changed, since in fact mechanicly as it stands right now fans cannot be used as effectively as any other weapon:

Quote from: LORE Custom Weapons: Fashion Accessory

Fashion Accessory - For those times when one wishes to appear unarmed but yet be able to protect themselves, or just for those who wish to be more elegant, weapons can often be disguised as fashion accessories such as a lady's fan or parasol.
 One of the beautiful martial arts weapon, the fan or iron fan can flick deadly force with the grace of a dance. The iron fan is normally constructued out of metal with eight to ten rods that collapse and open as required. In a more deadly form, the ends of the fan can be spiked to a point for further damage. The fan can be used in either a strike or piercing manner when completely closed or open in either a blocking or slicing motion.
 The key to performing a good fan technique is having strong wrist muscles. The movement to open and close the fan is a slight flick of the wrist that sends a sharp crack of sound as the fan slices open or closed. Traditionally, the fan seems to have been a favorite weapon among many women and men tended to shy away from it because of the delicate gracefulness. Some have wrongly interpreted this softness to weakness in the weapon. But when moves are executed correctly, it is as deadly as any blade or other weapon available.

Acacea

Re: Weapon Finesse & Fashion Accessories?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:28:34 pm »
Feats do not work the same with any custom weapons as with bioware standard ones, fashion accessory or no. Examples of this are the maul, the katar, the spinny funky wheel thing, all fashion accessories, and so on. Weapon Finesse, Focus, Imp Crit, all down the list. Can be faked, but always green and never white, like subraces... Some changes have been made to some of them to try and compensate but it'll never be the same.

Appearance changes have been suggested before (like a dagger) despite the base stat/damage differences, don't know how popular or workable (or even reasonable) it is at this point.

LORE: Custom Weapons
http://forums.layonara.com/fixed-bugs/98926-exotic-weapon-katar.html
http://forums.layonara.com/general-discussion/110551-fans-fans-fans-fans-question.html
http://forums.layonara.com/ask-gamemaster/204502-about-mercurial-longsword.html

Etc if they are helpful.

Edit - I still dream of dual wielding finessable fans! :)

Double edit - Other than green adds, this sort of thing is all I ever found Using NWN Preloader on a Server - Edon Revisted

ycleption

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:33:59 pm »
I know that on a broader scale this was brought up a while ago: http://forums.layonara.com/nwn-ideas-suggestions-requests/119302-shadowhawk-outlaw-weapons-v1-0-7-now-weapon-feats.html

I have no idea if your suggestion about adding the fan appearance to other weapons would work, but I think it would be a neat idea if it could be implemented.

As for the LORE description, its an RP flavor text - I think it would be a mistake to read mechanical information into it, especially given the caveats in the introduction to that page - and I have seen fans being wielded quite effectively, so I don't really think editing the flavor text is warranted...

Nehetsrev

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:50:20 pm »
Quote from: Acacea
Edit - I still dream of dual wielding finessable fans! :)

So, revisiting this thread... Is there a way the Fan (and perhaps other fashion accessory) appearances could be added to the sellection of appearances available for weapons in the Exotic Weapons family, such as the kukri?

Because like Acacea, I've been dreaming of dual-wielding finessable fans for years now. I can't imagine we're the only ones who'd appreciate this either.

Frendh

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:03:32 am »
Quote from: Nehetsrev
So, revisiting this thread... Is there a way the Fan (and perhaps other fashion accessory) appearances could be added to the sellection of appearances available for weapons in the Exotic Weapons family, such as the kukri?

Because like Acacea, I've been dreaming of dual-wielding finessable fans for years now.  I can't imagine we're the only ones who's appreciate this either.

I would really like to see a one-handed spear on either or both short sword/rapier.

Guardian 452

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:29:50 am »
We have a goad. It looks like a mini spear IMO. My Kithairien cleric uses one and even calls it her mini spear.

anything