The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Town criers  (Read 562 times)

Hellblazer

Town criers
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:46:09 am »
I suggest that they be updated a bit. Some of the news they are saying are almost 2 years old if not past 2 years.

The following users thanked this post: Ravemore

Zoogmunch

Re: Town criers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:56:46 am »
If Rockhead Howling Wolf were to, inadvertently of course, drop a small bag of true to each of the criers could they sing his praises as a bit of advertising?

Perhaps the churches could advertise for members?

How about the guilds advertsiing wares?

In cardiff we still have a town crier but he tends to be shouting about record store deals etc.

just a thought  How about one shouting

" new to Centre, armour rusting?  get yerself along ter wayfare fer Gorm's armour sale, three fer two at............."
"Tired? Hungry?  try a Grendola lunchtime special at the hempstead market.... the bacon butty better than the rest!"

Zoog

Ravemore

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 12:01:41 pm »
Exceptional Idea!

Quote from: Zoogmunch
If Rockhead Howling Wolf were to, inadvertently of course, drop a small bag of true to each of the criers could they sing his praises as a bit of advertising?

Perhaps the churches could advertise for members?

How about the guilds advertsiing wares?

In cardiff we still have a town crier but he tends to be shouting about record store deals etc.

just a thought  How about one shouting

" new to Centre, armour rusting?  get yerself along ter wayfare fer Gorm's armour sale, three fer two at............."
"Tired? Hungry?  try a Grendola lunchtime special at the hempstead market.... the bacon butty better than the rest!"

Zoog

Gulnyr

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:32 pm »
When writing them, it would be good to remember the criers all use the same list of announcements, so city- or even kingdom-specific entries would look strange in a lot of places.

Also, it's best to keep them short.  There are two currently in rotation that pop up and flood the chat window.  At least one of them is probably due for deletion, anyway, but still.

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:33 pm »
There was one server I tried where they used to have a system where players could pay for advertisements and updates themselves.  It was pretty nice, though you need an approval process for he messages to avoid abuse.  One of the town criers would stop for a moment, his eyes would grow red and he'd raise his hands in the air, shouting in a deep booming voice, "I ... AM... A.... GOD!!!!"

Personally, I thought it was the most awesome town crier announcement, ever. ;)

Back to topic, it would be nice to have more recent crier announceents, and a pay-for-advertisement system in place.

Mooneyes

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:54:39 pm »
**laughs** I would pack a picnic so I could  sit and watch for that one to happen lonnarin

Guardian 452

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
They are very neat idea (the town crier) but very under used. I'd say open it up to more than GM's and WL's. But it will need a babysitter so things dont get added to game that shouldnt.

I could definatly see advertisement for certain churches, guilds, shops etc.

G-452

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:12 pm »
Also I'd like to see GMs using it as a way to advertise their quests!  For the casual player that doesn't browse the forums as much as us, it could be a nice clue-in to current events.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
Also I'd like to see GMs using it as a way to advertise their quests!  For the casual player that doesn't browse the forums as much as us, it could be a nice clue-in to current events.

That would be a very good RP IG way of actually advertising quests, excellent Idea there.

anything