The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: *Day Dreaming on the Edge of a Sewer in Hlint.*  (Read 93 times)

AbnerMojo

• View Profile
    *Day Dreaming on the Edge of a Sewer in Hlint.*
    « on: October 16, 2006, 05:32:04 am »
    At the entrance to the Hlint Sewers...

Uilliam stumbled up the worn, discolored, and moldy staircase, emerging back out into the light. Almost falling to his knees, he dragged his sore body a few more feet, then plopped down onto the grass. It felt like there was no part of him that the rats had not sank their teeth into. Laying back, he took out his canteen, and a dry ration. Slowly drinking down the water, and taking bites of the food, he looked up at the sky. Swallowing a mouthful he whispered to himself.

“What am I doing? All I am is one insignificant LightFoot, and here I am playing hero.”

Shaking his head and sighing, he could feel his sense of despair swelling. It was so far frustrating to be a lone Rogue adventuring. All his training had not prepared him for this in the least it felt like. The only thing he had managed to do so far was get himself nibbled on by rats.

But as he turned his head, he spied a recently built home off to his side. He looked at it noting some things. On a tree stump out front sat a human man of his mid thirties it appeared. The man sat there, just casually sharpening a sword with a wet stone. But the man also was watching two children, who were running about, going around the house laughing and playing. There was also a fairly attractive woman, who was to the house's rear. She appeared to be baking some bread in the clay and mortar stove behind the home.

In that moment of watching the family going about their home Uilliam remembered why he was doing this. There was nothing extraordinary about these people. They were like most any other family in Hlint. Not extremely wealthy, or large, they simply had an average home, and a average life. Which is why Uilliam had to fight down a bit of jealousy for the man, who he guessed to be a fairly more experienced adventurer then himself.

Uilliam realized as he watched them that no one had given this family that home. That man had earned it, by sticking to it on days like Uilliam was having now. And with that Uilliam went to get back up. He to wanted a home, a place where his parents could live, where he someday would bring a wife home too, or watch his children play in his yard.

Having completed his rest, Uilliam returned to his feet, then began taking those first few steps back down into the sewers beneath Hlint....

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: *Day Dreaming on the Edge of a Sewer in Hlint.*
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 03:48:47 am »
    Very nicely written... However, might I make a suggestion? Put this in your Character Development Thread.