The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: World of Darkness type quests  (Read 386 times)

Witch Hunter

World of Darkness type quests
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:31:17 am »
Alright.. I'm sure plenty of us here know the fantastic world of darkness setting by white wolf.. it's amazing.

I was thinking though, why not lend ideas from there? we're in the darkages and the super natural is ever present... a few examples:

Haunted House: You basiclly have some mansion of sorts in a well known city (Hempstead or so) thats haunted, no combat involved - you have a ghost leaving clues and other scary messages in an attempt to solve the mystery behind its death and finally release it from its torment.

Vampire Monarch: The peaceful village of X has long been disturbed by disturbing murders in the dark, people vanishing everywhere and bodies found drained of blood - the work of corathite cultists? or perhaps the lord of X is more than he seems....

Necromancers: Disturbing rumors of undead roaming the streets of BlablaFarken Shire spread across the land - a mysterious figure seen dragging corpses into the nearby crypts only to have them emerge as undead days later or some other lame necromantical thing.

Theres so many ideas to wiggle around with and all of them center around a dark, atmospheric theme... pure delight!

Drizzlin

Re: World of Darkness type quests
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:07:09 am »
I am completely on board =P I have always wanted to see a darker side to quests avalible to players who play shady folks,

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:18:55 am »
I can honestly say that such quests are being run from time to time. The examples given here have been covered and many many more than those. Often quest headlines do not tell you what the setting will be like because GMs like to surprise the players, among other things. Additionaly often quest series have sessions that would fit into such themes, or closely fit at least. Perhaps you've just not been lucky to attend one as of yet.

Harlas

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:43:08 am »
Just to clarify one thing...

The "darkness" of the world right now is one of a lack of light in the real sense, as well as a just general bleak outlook on pesky things like survival.  There's no more or less evilness, nor really any conditions that would allow for an increase in undead activity or the like.

Having said that and to add to what Harlas said, there are some static quests being designed with a more...hmm...questionable bent to them.

Drizzlin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:24:29 am »
Quote from: Harlas Ravelkione
I can honestly say that such quests are being run from time to time. The examples given here have been covered and many many more than those. Often quest headlines do not tell you what the setting will be like because GMs like to surprise the players, among other things. Additionaly often quest series have sessions that would fit into such themes, or closely fit at least. Perhaps you've just not been lucky to attend one as of yet.

Harlas

I am not saying you are not right, but the quests I usually see are to stop the evil or fight it, rather than help it. That is what I was speaking of. I would like to help bring decay and death to the lands on my pc if given the chance. =P

MJZ

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 11:55:45 am »
Quote from: Witch Hunter
Haunted House: You basiclly have some mansion of sorts in a well known city (Hempstead or so) thats haunted, no combat involved - you have a ghost leaving clues and other scary messages in an attempt to solve the mystery behind its death and finally release it from its torment.

I love these types of things, and I'd love to see a quest like this. And I like your style here, gothic=goood.

Hmm maybe we should come up with a little more detail..

Witch Hunter

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 02:35:13 pm »
Yeah that was really on the go rather than a detailed description hehe, but yup mainly gothic horror theme (Go read some white wolf material!)

--

I have attended SOME quests of this nature but very... very little. in a world where super natural is ever present and evil lurks in every corner these sort of things happen!

Gunther

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 07:50:45 pm »
Well, if theres a literal lack of light in the world, we could realistically expect to see greater numbers of undead roaming about.  I think that would be an interesting twist on the current status.

darkstorme

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 08:03:42 pm »
My impression is that the light during the day is akin to a heavily overcast day.  Enough light to allow hardier trees and plants to grow.. and enough to serious discomfit undead, if not destroy them outright.