The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Accent for Leolaka!  (Read 147 times)

Tedulas

• View Profile
    Accent for Leolaka!
    « on: November 20, 2005, 12:45:00 pm »
    Heya guys, need some advice:

Leolaka is a young (for his race) elf, with charisma 8. (I RP this by making him stinky, have spots etc..) and I thought I should do a "Halfling" casual accent. (E.g Hiya!, Thinkin' Huntin' Summit) To also maybe help with low charisma...
    I also have high intelligence, so, should I change my accent to quite a "Posh" one?

Any advice?

feniox

RE: Accent for Leolaka!
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 01:20:00 pm »
    The different accents used by various characters in games is something that always interests me, but I don't think it should have anything to do with Charisma or Intelligence. I have a high IQ and all that, but I still have a south-west of england accent (not one of the most impressive sounding accents around...) and similarly, I know a few people who are, shall we say, "not so bright" but sound pretty much the same as I do.

I think your accent should reflect the characters upbring/living environment rather than any attributes or the like.

On a slightly different angle of looking at accents, I have always had Kurgaz with his strong accent in the game, and yet in letters or IC forum posts, he writes in fluent english. This is to represent that we don't write things in the same way as we pronounce them (again, with the southwestern accent thing). Does anyone else do this?

Tedulas

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
      I guess for the character, Leolaka, There's no place where he picked up "Halfling" language, so I best be talking how I think I should, like a normal Elf. How boring...heh...

Thanks though!

feniox

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 02:24:00 pm »
      Don't take my word for it, I have no authority or anything here, just saying how I usually look at it.

Having said that, depending how long you character has been wandering for, he could have picked up an accent from anywhere or anyone :)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
      Oh, no, an American chimes in...  Pyyran has a faint Dwarven accent (which I interperate as something very akin to your stereotypical Highland Scots accent; yes, I've pulled most of my spelling for him from Diana Gabledon books...

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 09:24:00 am »
      Going to jump in here:  Right on, all of you, regarding accents having more to do with environment than intelligence and charisma.

All who have met Cole know he has an accent.  Sitting at an unbuffed 16 INT, he is very likely the smartest fighter-type character (more than ten levels in a fighter BAB class) on the server.  So it cracks me up when people assume he's a blood-thirsty idiot with crap for brains because he carries a big sword and sounds like a cross between a dwarf and a sailor when he's speaking.  If you read his bio, you'll notice he was raised in Leilon (port town), and spent a long portion of his life apprenticed to a dwarf.

Of course, this says nothing for common sense... his wisdom's an 8...  ;)

freemen2

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 07:20:00 am »
      ah good you added the Wisdom bit, was starting to go: hey hold on there! :p