The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Aggressive Druid and Rping towards animals  (Read 152 times)

blinds21

• View Profile
    Aggressive Druid and Rping towards animals
    « on: February 27, 2006, 03:46:26 am »
    I have a small opinion related question about druids. I know they live for protecting the forest and the animals, does that prohibit them from eating meat? In the most literal sense they shouldn't even wear leather seeing as that is animal hide. Would it be permissable for them to sleep under fur blankets or wear leather armor?

I understand that the balance must be kept and that is the reason for the question, can Druids hunt and consume within the boundries of the balance? Like hunting animals for food since animals themselves hunt for food. As well as wearing or making leather armor out of animal hide.

Also, I've never played a druid on Layonara. But how does wood gathering work for Druids? Can they forage like rangers? I think it would be RP worthy to allow them to forage, since that would be like collecting fallen branchs instead of chopping, because without it how can a druid make his own defenses such as staves and bows?

Lastly, would be the RP rules for an agressive druid? Would he be warrented in attacking or hunting violent animals? Example be the ettercap and spider outside the cave in sielwood, would the spiders and the bug be suitable targets as they are overly aggresive towards travelers?

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Aggressive Druid and Rping towards animals
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:02:46 am »
    Yes, druids can forage.

And I think it is simply the preference of the druid as to whether they eat meat or not, not because they feel it's wrong to hunt animals for food (though some may; every druid seems wildly different).  

And if you want to see an "aggressive" druid in action, watch Luna.  =P

KageKeeper

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:25:27 am »

Yes, druids can forage.

Indeed. Druids are able to forage wood as well as food and water at a campfire. This is the only way a Druid can even gather wood since we cannot equip the hand ax without burning a feat.

RP wise it's great that we can gather the deadfall and fallen branches, although it could be said we are pruning the tree as well. :)

And I think it is simply the preference of the druid as to whether they eat meat or not, not because they feel it's wrong to hunt animals for food (though some may; every druid seems wildly different).

Some Druids eat meat. Some hunt animals for food and clothing. Most Druids will not get upset at "normal" hunting. They are aware that it is part of the natural cycle and without some thinning, unbalance will occur.

However, it is when one hunts TOO much or, even worse, when one hunts and does not use what they kill. THAT will send a Druid into a fury. At least my Druid. Which brings me to my next point....

And if you want to see an "aggressive" druid in action, watch Luna.  =P

Har!  :P

Anyway, in the end it is important to state that there are many many ways to play a Druid. One way is not necessarily more right then another. As long as the Druid is kept within the boundaries that Leanthar has set for them it is a pretty open class.

Have fun with it. ;)

blinds21

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 08:52:18 am »
      Thank you all, you two have really cleared up my RP issue, thank you.

Ioskeha

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:34:19 am »

However, it is when one hunts TOO much or, even worse, when one hunts and does not use what they kill. THAT will send a Druid into a fury. At least my Druid. Which brings me to my next point....

Or you'll have Druids like mine that know that the kill won't be wasted.  There are animals out there that feed off of carrion, and my Druid plays off of that.  She does get angry when she sees people neeslessly kill, but overall she's relatively passive about it.

My best advise to you is RP questions like these in-game.  Your character is still young in the ways of Druidism (is that even a word?) afterall, and it wouldn't hurt to seek out wiser Druids for him to learn from.  The only problem with that is there aren't too many people that play Druids.  I'll tell you what though; the next time I see your Druid on-line I'll send you a tell and see if we can't setup a meeting.

typically_annoying

• View Profile
        « Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 06:25:36 am »
        Also, although Druids draw their powers from nature (usually choosing Katia), many follow a deity.  I had a Druid who came from a tribe of wild elves.  She was a devout follower of Kithairien, almost cleric in her ways.  She was very much a huntress and would hunt animals for pelts and food.  She would attack aggressive animals if need be, but also save helpless animals that roamed too near a party (using empathy to lead them to safety).  She followed the dogma of Kithairien quite vigorously and would make sure that everything she hunted was put to good use and not wasted.  This was just the way I played her and there are many ways of playing it different.  So, if you do choose a faith to follow (as well as your druid oaths) then this might guide your general behaviour somewhat.  Katia, Aeridin, Kitharien, Shindaleria are all good.

Also .. join the druid forum.  You can discuss matters IC there.

blinds21

• View Profile
          « Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 07:17:39 am »
          Is it possible to follow a diety's teachings without worshipping them? Hauli pays more attention to the Balance, though he is learning to be very avid in his learnings of Katia, but he feels little desire to worship her.

KageKeeper

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 07:27:39 am »
          blinds21 - 3/1/2006  7:17 AM

Is it possible to follow a diety's teachings without worshipping them? Hauli pays more attention to the Balance, though he is learning to be very avid in his learnings of Katia, but he feels little desire to worship her.

Very much so. :)

I quote this from the Druid information:

But a druid is less likely to be a fervent follower than a cleric whose powers derive directly from the blessings of her or his deity. Katia, for example, personifies nature, and as such can give a druid a very powerful and tangible point of will focus. But a druid’s strength is not gifted from Katia herself. A common druidic philosophy is that the gods themselves are a product of a natural confluence of natural forces. They evolved. It is considered blasphemous by many and in some places gives druids a hated outsider status, but to them the gods themselves emerged from nature and are in many ways subordinated to its fundamental flows and connections. Thus, druids are not always worshipers of Katia as is commonly thought, and even those that are may view worship in an entirely different light than others.

My Druid follows Folian S'pae. She always has, probably always will; however, she talks more of the Mother then anything. And by Mother she does not necessarily mean Katia is the sense that others think of her.

Anyway, yes you can.

anything