The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Clarification on the Ring of True Love  (Read 744 times)

kenty191

Re: Clarification on the Ring of True Love
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 12:51:02 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
Now, RP-wise, these rings are constructed using imprinted Soul Stones from one's partner set into a gold band.  The rings can't actually be made in-game mechanically, but there are various ways to obtain them  with GM assistance.

I too am interested to hear of these ring's existence in game. I'm presuming a character wishing to create one for someone should have some experience in metal smelting? Then again there’s always the chance for a third party to help out.

I'm supposing one would need gold ingots and the soul stone, anything else RP wise?

*Also skips off to lay down plans for a ring fit for a certain charming, worldly wise swashbuckler*

Weeblie

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 01:11:39 pm »
Generally, the way it is done is to gather a little bit of things (like gold ingots)... have the soul stone... and also pay a lump sump in the magnitude of 10,000 gold to a NPC to craft it. :)

Dorganath

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 01:15:38 pm »
Yeah, there's no need to have any particular experience with any of the associated crafts to get one, but if your character actually wanted to make it, having some experience in smelting and/or gem crafting would be quite advantageous.  Otherwise, one can pay an NPC to make one.  The key thing is really the imprinted soul stone.

kenty191

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 01:29:06 pm »
Quote from: Weeblie
... have the soul stone... and also pay a lump sump in the magnitude of 10,000 gold to a NPC to craft it. :)

:o Karn had better start busking! :D

Acacea

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 04:59:13 pm »
I'm sure that has to be the cost if you just want to "buy" one straight up with no other RP involved. Otherwise, I can't understand the exorbitant price tag for the RP only item that will replace items of mechanical benefit...when raw diamonds are going for as low as 5k and you only need a couple gold ingots....soul stones a couple hundred ... bam have a more useful diamond ring with an RP soulstone set in it. Most people make their own stuff or have friends RP the making symbolic things like that. The symbolic quality in the ring is the whole soul thing, after all. Almost funny to slap a no-haggle price tag on it. :P Besides, I think most of the people that would wear that kind of thing are the sort that don't usually have the cash to spend 10k on fans, umbrellas, glowing rings, and holdable books. :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 05:06:23 pm »
I thiink the "price" is more of a "Leave us alone" tag...  The Dms don't wanna be bothered ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 06:26:32 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
I thiink the "price" is more of a "Leave us alone" tag...  The Dms don't wanna be bothered ;)

Thank you for your high opinion of the GM staff, Shiff. :rolleyes:

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 06:32:50 pm »
Well you didnt Charge me when you did Mine, and I've never been charged 10k for the two holdable books my PCs have, so I'd have to say I can't see the 10k price tag as much more then a deterrent ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 06:45:58 pm »
Yeah, well the hour or so I spent with Shiff and Valmara would suggest that "leave us alone" is hardly the case, especially considering how little time I actually spend in-game in any sort of capacity.  

You two paid with RP, which is perfectly acceptable currency, and takes a heck of a lot longer than dropping two rings and collecting gold.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 09:48:09 pm »
:(  I'm sorry...  I was just teasing

Heck, I love you guys.  Eorendil recently did me a huge favor with making a ring for a character, along the same lines which I might post a screenie of the Description ....  Osx seems to love sending little children off to their deaths to be saved by Shiff ...  And we all know Tanman seems (or at least used to seem) like he was after Shiff's Soul (Shiff died a lot during Tan's Impromptus).  Heck I wish I could be a DM with you guys so I could spread the magic around too

anything