The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Deity relations when they are not shared.  (Read 257 times)

Guardian 452

Deity relations when they are not shared.
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:35:15 pm »
Hey after my questions about a certain set of Deities and how they dont see one another in the same light. Deity X friendly to Deity Z, but Deity Z is an enemy of Deity X.

In this specific instance I am reffering to Vorax and Kithairien.

How far does one take this enemy standing in RP?

Can you travel with an Enemy? Especially one who is very friendly towards you? I know we had that whole common enemy discussion in the other thread... I dont want to open that whole can of worms again though.

Would you cast on them?

Raise them?

I guess I see a potential for some very fun and funny RP here. The Kitharien doing their best to ignore and insult the Voraxian... and the Voraxian just keeps comming back for more. Not seeing why the Kithairien doesnt like them back.

The following users thanked this post: Hellblazer, Kenderfriend

Gulnyr

Re: Deity relations when they are not shared.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »
Generally speaking, a character can be himself up to the point where he starts using the name and power of his god.  At that point, he has to think as the god rather than as himself.  Of course, if a character is a priest of a god, he's probably already at least somewhat like the god, has that god's best interests at heart, and is going to remember that he's acting as that god's representative all the time, so he's kinda always on the clock, so to speak.

Kithairienites and Voraxians can potentially be friends, but when it comes down to calling on the power of the god, the Kithairienites are going to have to keep their god's blessings away from the Voraxians in most cases.  If a Kithairienite is going to raise a Voraxian, she better have a really good reason for using her god's power to raise her god's enemy.  That Voraxian better be absolutely required for the furthering of Kithairien's purposes (not the character's purposes) on Layonara.  If she loses Kith's blessing for doing so, she shouldn't be surprised.

Short answer: Since Kithairienite Clerics are the enemies of Vorax, they probably shouldn't cast spells on Voraxians.  Otherwise, if traveling with Voraxians for a while furthers Kithairien's purposes, have at.  Just don't let them rub off on you.

Rowana

Re: Deity relations when they are not shared.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:36 pm »
Quote from: Gulnyr
Generally speaking, a character can be himself up to the point where he starts using the name and power of his god.  At that point, he has to think as the god rather than as himself.  Of course, if a character is a priest of a god, he's probably already at least somewhat like the god, has that god's best interests at heart, and is going to remember that he's acting as that god's representative all the time, so he's kinda always on the clock, so to speak.

Kithairienites and Voraxians can potentially be friends, but when it comes down to calling on the power of the god, the Kithairienites are going to have to keep their god's blessings away from the Voraxians in most cases.  If a Kithairienite is going to raise a Voraxian, she better have a really good reason for using her god's power to raise her god's enemy.  That Voraxian better be absolutely required for the furthering of Kithairien's purposes (not the character's purposes) on Layonara.  If she loses Kith's blessing for doing so, she shouldn't be surprised.

Short answer: Since Kithairienite Clerics are the enemies of Vorax, they probably shouldn't cast spells on Voraxians.  Otherwise, if traveling with Voraxians for a while furthers Kithairien's purposes, have at.  Just don't let them rub off on you.

Very well said. Anything more then this would largely depend on the specific makeup/biography/attitudes of the involved persons.

~row