The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: How do Rogues fare in Layonara?  (Read 333 times)

Maximus Power

• View Profile
    How do Rogues fare in Layonara?
    « on: May 31, 2006, 12:26:39 pm »
    I have two characters that I play, Paladin and Rogue. Well i'm not sure how Rogue fares on Layonara, as I am new to these lands. One thing that comes straight to mind when thinking about Rogue is, pickpocketing.

Yea, well. What can I say? It can be hard if you like the Lawful Good Paladin, and Rogue. REALLY HARD. Even harder on Layonara as it seems. But I don't want to know just about pickpocketing rules here, but also the general life of a Rogue and roleplay. Are their thieves guild? Are some Rogues prominant in Layonara, maybe even famous?

But most important, is it really an adventure where you can experience everything as a Rogue? Because that is what a Rogue is about. Being able to experience it all. Maybe even an NPC woman or two, haha!

EDIT

Well I been reading a lot of things on here. I mean.. this is like the great library of elves themselves you have so much here. I found out about the shadow thieves so far, but not much on Rogues.

ZeroVega

Re: How do Rogues fare in Layonara?
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 02:28:32 pm »
    First, pickpocketing PCs is a no-no. You can of course RP (pure RP no use of the actual skill) pickpocketing another PC if you get the players consent first.

Second, there are some VERY famous rogues here. Some of them aren't even a very high level, but yes, very famous.

Third, I believe there are some Rogue-type guilds, however probably none that you're thinking of. Still there is always room for a rogue.

Fourth, playing rogues is difficult. As a fighter, cleric, wizard, barbarian, monk ect, you can solo to a certain extent. As a rogue, well... you really can't. You're a support and RP character. A Rogue and a Fighter together is a beautiful combination, but a lone rogue is toast in most areas (which is why the DnD gods created Hide and Move Silently).

Hope that helps. ZV-

P.S. Rogues DO become powerful at higher levels, but still not good for soloing.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:24:09 pm »
    Aye... Rogues in the mid-levels still deal damage like a fighter 3 or 4 levels higher. As for famous Rogues... Acacea Thistletounge, Triba Gues, Taislin... Some might say Pyyran, though he's not exactly famous. Lots of people know him is all.

MasterOfMuppets

• View Profile
      RE: How do Rogues fare in Layonara?
      « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 11:11:43 am »
      if you know how to play a rogue type character and rp it it shouldnt be too hard. since its possible to solo the lesser darksoul quest at level 3 with a rogue

Pen N Popper

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 12:12:21 pm »
      If you're looking for a traditional thief, I'd say you're in for a long RP road.  No thieves' guilds or other shadowy type organizations have ever approached my PC.  Some would say my PC is not a fit for such, but he is always after information.  This, or so I would think, would be a perfect fit for having contact with such.  I'm sure they're out there, they won't come knocking at your door though.

Rogues are, though, jack-of-all-trades so you can make their "day job" pretty much anything you want.  Expect more RP than XP, though, is my advice.  Best to know that going in.

Best of luck.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 01:17:04 pm »
      Wow, these threads are getting dredged up these days.  Even so, if anyone is interested in this thread, my two cents: expect to die.  Loudly, messily, and often.  DEX bonuses to AC are all well and good, but if something can hit you, you're not likely to last long with a Rogue's HD.  That being said, in my own modest opinion, the rogue is one of, if not the most versatile RP class available.  With the plethora of skills available to the rogue and the non-engine-supported abilities they have in PnP, they provide much to any RP situation.

And @PNP - Perhaps since Bumblebee has a nasty habit of writing things he's told down and distributing them to others, shadowy organizations are understandably reluctant to approach him.  Kell wouldn't say if several groups, say, had approached him. *grins*

J-ser

• Followers of Shadon
        • View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 10:48:57 am »
      So true that rouges die often. I'm at level ten, halfway to 11 and have died 66 or so times. Only a few were loud and messy, most of the time I die as soon as I hit the stealth button, and no one can find the corpse to raise. Pathetic. And I've only been aproached by one shadowy organization. *laughs evily*

Shrowd Umbra

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 03:10:23 am »
      Funny thing about Shadowy organizations, they're hidden in shadows. Shrowd was at it a while before finally making contact with her interests. Not that they'd call themselves an organization I'm sure. There are tricks I learned from my days as a PnP thief (of all my non-layo characters, he's died the least) for finding your first guild.

*Don't ask for guilds, ask for work with no questions. Being part of organised crime is all about the Truthes. When people figure out you're more interested in money than honesty, you're at a start.

*Don't gossip, ever. Rogues are distrustful of everyone, the trusting rogue seldom lives to level. Listen and pass along to those that are in the habit of returning favors. Favors are worth more than gold.

*Don't be a villain. Rogues aren't Snydley Whiplash and they don't do business with anyone like that, at least not the good ones typically. You're just trying to get a little ahead through some legitimate business. If the Toranites and Rofies have a problem with your practices then it's a matter of Theology, not morality.

*Make friends, join groups. Rogues can out power most classes for this reason alone, they have friends. The best rogue knows who has a grudge against him and three people that have grudges against the grudger. Help out and earn favors, save them up for when the dice roll low. Rogues are a very social class. In a city a good rogue should be nearly untouchable from streetwise habits and friends that keep you informed.

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
        « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:13:04 am »
        Quote from: Shrowd Umbra
        Funny thing about Shadowy organizations, they're hidden in shadows. Shrowd was at it a while before finally making contact with her interests. Not that they'd call themselves an organization I'm sure. There are tricks I learned from my days as a PnP thief (of all my non-layo characters, he's died the least) for finding your first guild.

*Don't ask for guilds, ask for work with no questions. Being part of organised crime is all about the Truthes. When people figure out you're more interested in money than honesty, you're at a start.

*Don't gossip, ever. Rogues are distrustful of everyone, the trusting rogue seldom lives to level. Listen and pass along to those that are in the habit of returning favors. Favors are worth more than gold.

*Don't be a villain. Rogues aren't Snydley Whiplash and they don't do business with anyone like that, at least not the good ones typically. You're just trying to get a little ahead through some legitimate business. If the Toranites and Rofies have a problem with your practices then it's a matter of Theology, not morality.

*Make friends, join groups. Rogues can out power most classes for this reason alone, they have friends. The best rogue knows who has a grudge against him and three people that have grudges against the grudger. Help out and earn favors, save them up for when the dice roll low. Rogues are a very social class. In a city a good rogue should be nearly untouchable from streetwise habits and friends that keep you informed.

Very true; your a bit late though... topic is last dated at 2006 :)

lonnarin

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:12:42 am »
        Hahah, very true.  Just had to add though.

Find ye a dwarf and feed him a steady supply of pie, mutton and ale.  This will fatten him up, making him a larger meatshield to arch behind, and make him slow and groggy so that he's more likely to take the hit for you rather than flopping out of the way.  Be incredibly nice to paladins, as they can't smite flattery or detect thieving.  Publicly giving 10% of ill-gotten proceeds to charity publicly keeps the 90% in your trust fund from being too closely scrutinized.  Constantly send tells to GMs on quests your intent to steal things or stab NPCs ahead of time, as to keep your chaos points up so that the other rogues won't think you're going soft.  Never go out hunting alone unless you have fighter levels, in which case go on ahead and solo Firesteep at will.  And above all, never steal the heart of a woman whose ex-boyfriend has barbarian levels.