The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Monk question  (Read 201 times)

ycleption

Monk question
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:49:31 pm »
Hi, I'm playing an Elf Monk, and I'm wondering if there is a standard on Layonara for weapon usage for monks. I.e. Since I'm an elf, I could use bows, would that be kosher? Especially against animals: it just feels really silly to run up to a deer and kick it in the side. I could use a sling instead, and thus far I have been, because I've been unsure about whether a monk using a bow is considered appropriate.

Tanman

Re: Monk question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:13:30 pm »
You possibly use a staff for melee. I do not see why you couldn't use a bow seeing that you have an elvish heritage...and that could be your reasoning,depending on where your elf came from. If your elf came from the woods thats even better...unless the rules state that monks can't use bows.

Hope that helps.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:58:28 pm »
I suppose it depends on the kind of monk you play - to my knowledge, there isn't any real rule against an elven monk using a longbow, or even a longsword! It just wouldn't be optimal for a monk, really.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 08:39:08 pm »
A monk, unless he joins some of the Orders which prohibit it, or has Sacred Fist levels, is totally able to use any weapon they can equip.

minerva

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:57:09 am »
Being a bow using Monk with Zen Archery would indeed make sense.

Faldred

RE: Monk question
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 10:36:22 am »
As others have said, there's no prohibition against it.  As long as it makes RP sense, why not?

Oh, and for the Path of Elemental Balance, for followers of the "Wind", it says that ranged weapons are not uncommon.

anything