The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Skill checks - pre-buffing  (Read 223 times)

Polak76

Skill checks - pre-buffing
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:22:00 pm »
Now I may be opening a can of worms here but I'd just like some feedback of peoples thoughts to one of my pet irritaions.

During a quest or even in basic RP, when a GM or opposing character asks for a skill check I notice alot of people start buffing then roll the dice.  I believe that that is simply unacceptable.  I mean let me paint a picture:

"I walk up to a bard and try to sell a rapier.  I ask for 2000gp he tries to persuade me to sell it for less.  We agree on an opposing die-rolls for persuasion and before he rolls his dice he begins singing before he rolls.  I mean come on!!  If you didnt actually have the effects of a lingering song prior to us meeting then dont start going "I'm singing in the rain...alleluia... la la la..etc" then win a persuasion.

Please note that this is only an example and doesnt reflect any actual event that transpired.

Now I've seen people from lvl 1 to epic levels do this.  I simply dont believe that in real life some sort of instinct or voice in your head would tell you what to expect, thus forcing you to pre-buff.
However, if a character had a real puzzle before them and they were having troubles working it out and thought that by using a spell like fox's cunning would aid them, that would be fine.

My gripe is only for spontaneous issues.  Luckily I've noticed GM's forcing the rolls themselves whereever possible.  I love the use of skill rolls in more than just quests so we dont have the luxury of forced rolls by GM's.

Anyway I was simply hoping for some constructive feedback about this.  Please feel free to slap me around the head if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Polak76

Leanthar

RE: Skill checks - pre-buffing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »
My ruling on this in the quests that I run is always... when the check is asked for exactly what you have on you at that point in time is exactly when it should be rolled... period. No buffing up, not chaning equipment etc.  The skill roll happens right then exactly as you are.

Etinfall

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
I agree with all this. I saw it once and asked the gm and he agreed also. When a GM asks for a spot sheck and I don't have my helm on, all I can say is doh! and roll the spot check.

edit: it also happens when a dm asks for a spot CHeck

Polak76

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
Well its comforting to have some confirmation regarding this.

Many thanks.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:49:00 pm »
In anything where the character has a moment's notice, such as in a bartering match with some other character, I find it perfectly plausible for the character to, for example, covertly slip on a ring or somesuch that boosts his or her CHA; it's exactly what I would do, if I felt like going to the effort.

However, Spot, Listen, and other spontaneous checks (anytime a DM says to make a check, not "Okay, interact, here's the checks you'll use.") should all be done, as L said, just as the characters are at that moment.

Wee.

Guardian 452

Re: Skill checks - pre-buffing
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 04:05:34 pm »
I guess if I were going to buff up Id do so before being prompted.... Say I attempt to lift a heavy object... Id BUFF, then RP what I was doing... then roll STR.

I agree if the roll is DM prompted your mostly stuck with how you are at the time he or she says to roll.

I will admit having switched gear in the past when prompted to roll something... which I will try and refrain from in the future.

G-452

anything