The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Wild Elves  (Read 276 times)

Lindel

Wild Elves
« on: May 13, 2006, 04:36:56 am »
Hello, I'm a little bit confused with some aspects of a Wild Elf

It says that "They do not build or buy; they scavenge and hunt" so I'm thinking they don't build homes but do they craft? and if they don't craft do they literally walk around the forrest and like, find some pelt of a dead animal? Or do they hunt for the animal and they take the pelt? Also do they cut trees down or do they use decaying trees because they're not wood elves, but I dunno...

just hoping someone could clear up a couple of points for me, thank you in advanced!

Shadowblade225

Re: Wild Elves
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:43:44 am »
You can play the elf as you see fit - but I feel to really play a wild elf well as the race was intended to be played you're looking at a lot of RP and lifestyle baggage almost comparable to a paladin.  Disagree if you will.  The version of a wild elf that I happened to play - one who worshipped Kithairein and one which some players and DM's have told me exemplified what a wilf elf should be like is summed up below.

The character Nith'wiel -

1 - He did not speak common.

2 - He related more to Wemics than other elfs

3 - He did not buy anything (except barring the things you just had to buy in Layo, particularly at the lower levels when you're not strong enough to travel and grab things). This can be a pain for some because most will get to a point and say "Forget this - I'm going to buy it and make it easier"

4 - He referred to towns and cities as "boxes inside a cage"

5 - He referred to clerics as Shamans - He was very protective to his friends, yet for those he had yet to really meet - very untrusting and cautious.

6 - He loved nature and was a hunter - he would use every part of the animal - like the point above - instead of buying food from the Inn which he would seldom step into to craft (too bad there's no craft house in the woods or country - yet there would be negatives to this) - he would hunt animals, gather berries, nuts, etc... This was a character that needed to get good at crafting - that's how he would sustain himself - not just food crafting either). It's slow..but that's his way.

7 - He was savage/primitive yet graceful and proud.

8 - He could not read nor write. Instead his character development section was composed of "Carvings in trees" and visualized by screenshots (see his album).

9 - He feels claustraphobic unless the only roof above him is the open sky.

10 - He did chop to make bows - how's this for agony - he carrys little gold on him referring to gold as "little shiny peices of metal". It has taken him time to understand the purpose. So he'd trade with people, but would never say "I'd like to buy an oak longbow". Instead he'd trade using some good pelts or something. He'd never post notices (can't write anyway) in the "trade and market hall section" of the forums. So basically everything he had he made including the leathers on his back, the bow he shoots, and the spear he hunts with. Very primitive here.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 10:55:56 am »
As an addition to this, before someone chimes in and quotes character history and background as a motivating or influencial factor - this is indeed true and depending upon how your character was brought up, the above post may not apply.  The above post however should apply to your typical wilf elf raised in a tribe in the plains or the forests somewhere in the world.

EdTheKet

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 10:59:19 am »
Yep, I totally like the way you play Nith'wiel the wild elf!

Lindel

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 11:11:15 am »
*thumbs up* one word I have for you: respect.

that's a really cool PC, I have to think of these things and you've helped a bunch :) Thanks for clearing up some things :D

anything