The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ben is seen at the orphanage  (Read 320 times)

cbnicholson

Ben is seen at the orphanage
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:49:44 am »
Benjamin is seen having a  discussion at the Hempstead Orphanage asking about children under two seasons that need a home.  Despite the suspicious looks from the workers there, he says quietly that his wife is unable to have her own and they'd like to share their home in Wayfare.

"Its fer me songbird, Lana, ya hafta understand, I know I'm old fer kids, but I ken give em a roof, clothes, and food and Lana will love the lil bugger, ya ken be sure of that. Sides, I need ta give me landlord, Tod, somethin ta complain about - like wee muddy footprints through his livin room," He winks.  Whether or not the woman in charge agrees, he gives her several loaves of fresh bread and whatever true he has on him and leaves without a fuss.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

The following users thanked this post: Lynn1020

Carillon

Re: Ben is seen at the orphanage
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:57:36 am »
Ben finds the orphanage in Port Hempstead temporarily closed, due to damage from the tsunami and the threat of another wave. He is given the address of a home in Fort Wayfare, where the orphanage has moved until their normal location is once again safe for so many small children. If he asks, he learns that a generous and warm-hearted Fort Wayfare woman offered up her own house as temporary quarters.

When Ben asks for the woman in charge, he is told that Harmony Vaeran is out at the moment. The young woman who answers his query is a petite brunette woman, human, perhaps in her early twenties, with deep sapphire-blue eyes and a gentle smile. She gives her name as Serena Covelli, and finds a quiet(er) corner in which to chat with Ben for a moment.

Serena listens to him speak, watching his mannerisms and judging his sincerity. She nods a few times, but mostly just listens. When he finishes, she asks,

"Do you and your wife have a preference between a little girl or a little boy? Are you looking only for a human child? I wish we could say we had no little girls or boys that age needing a new family, but that is never the case, and even less so with the waves striking the city."

Serena listens to his response, and accepts the loaves of bread and coin graciously. She suggests that he come back with his wife when they are able, perhaps to meet a child or two, and also to fill out a paper. Pressed to the edge of their resources or no, it seems the orphanage is committed to releasing children only into situations that will be better for them than their current one.

cbnicholson

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:53:52 am »
"I see, ta be honest I hadn't thought past the askin, Miss Serena,"  Benjamin says in reply with a slight shrug.  "I'll bring Lana by right soon.  Thank ya fer yer time."

Oscar Wilde

Serissa

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:35:22 pm »
*Ben and Lana return to the orphanage.*  "We'd like a little girl, between about 2 and 6 years old, if we're allowed, ma'm.  I think that babies should be easy to place, and farmers would prefer older children who can help them.  If she should have a sister or brother, that would be wonderful.  We'll take that one, too.  *Lana smiles.*

Carillon

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:47:29 am »
By chance it is Serena who greets them again at the orphanage. She greets them both warmly, and smiles to Lana, introducing herself, then invites them in. Once again she finds a quiet place to talk and offers them what meager refreshments can be spared at the time--perhaps a cup of tea at the least.

Serena asks them both many questions--why they want to adopt, why they feel they would be good parents, questions that gauge whether their home is suitable for a child, and so on. Eventually she leads them into a room where many children are playing. Older ones help care for younger ones, or help with any small tasks they are able to do to help the relief effort or the orphanage. Some seem to have been there for some time, while others have the shell-shocked look of the newly orphaned.

Serena points out several children, speaking quietly to Ben and Lana, in between scooping up a sobbing toddler to soothe with a kiss or mediating a conflict that breaks out between a pair of children.

"The little girl with the dark hair and blue eyes there, Katelyn, is three. She just lost her family and older brother in the waves. She is a sweet child but going through a difficult time. She cries a lot and has nightmares many nights. You may find her challenging ...

"The blonde girl there is Trea. She is six, and has been with us since she was four. We do not know if she has any kin--at least we have not been able to find any. She was left on our doorstep two years ago.

"Ahh, the little girl there is Violet. We call her so because she came when the violets were blooming a few years ago. Perhaps not for you, though--elven children look like human children in terms of age and development, but they are a much longer commitment. We try not to place them with .." She pauses, a little embarrassed. "Well, we try to give them the same stability we would give human children, and that is at least one person to love them who will not disappear from their lives before they are grown."

Serena points out other children as well that fit their request--a three year old girl named Cedany and her older brother, a four year old girl and her infant sister, a six year old with a stubborn streak and a hot temper, a sweet five year old who was badly injured and lost an arm in the tsunami and who Serena whispers is having a hard time right now, and is prone to fits of screaming ... in each case, her words seem to be a balance between a gentle warning for the prospective parents if the child is having challenges, and a genuine desire to introduce them to each. She makes a point of offering always the good qualities of the child as well as any struggles, highlighting how each is unique and precious.

After a time she says that she has a few things to do, and leaves them to watch the children play a bit and get to know them if they wish, or talk to any of them. She asks them to find her before they leave, and if they have made a decision by then she will have them sign the papers and then someone will bring the child by the next day--likely an excuse to confirm their situation is what they say it is. Again, though they are crowded and busy, these people seem to genuinely care for the wellbeing of their wards.

cbnicholson

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »
Benjamin frowns slighty as wonders what exactly he's gotten himself into.  With a slight shrug and a wait motion to Lana,  he grins slightly then pulls a coin from his coin pouch and sets it bouncing along his knuckles using cantrips to make it glow with various colored lights and sparks.  When he is sure he has the children's attention, he finishes by making the coin disappear in a  soft burst of light while he spins it on the tip of his finger.  He then "pulls" the coin from Katelyns ear and winks, stuffing it back into his coin purse. "So, who here wants to hear a song?" He asks watching the various girls closely with a nod to Lana to get out her guitar.  'M'names Ben Poetr, some of ya probably seen me traveling through Wayfare from time ta time and this is Aylana, she's a great singer and me missus, I bet she could sing any song ya could think of, so lets hear a suggestion."

Oscar Wilde

Carillon

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:18 pm »
Many of the children respond with delight to the attention and the offer of music, and gather around to listen to Lana, calling out suggestions both real and made up. A few do not, like the five year old with the missing arm, and these children seem to cling to the edges of the room like wounded birds, set apart from their happier peers.

merlin34baseball

Chaynce happens by...
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »
*Chaynce walks by and notices the commotion*

*He walks in and silently smiles and leans against the wall by the door watching the goings on, especially noticing the children who are not taking part*

cbnicholson

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 09:36:25 am »
As the other children gather around Lana, Ben eases his way to the edges and talks quietly to the children there about simple things like fishing, walks in the woods, and homemade soup.  His normally gruff demeanor absent as he encourages those on the fringes to join in with the fun. As he feels appropriate, he offers to do a bit more magic if prompted, or simply singing along with any song Lana in his passable tenor.  He tries to get Lana's attention and looks meaningfully at Katlyn, and the one armed girl, and even the brother and sister with a slight shrug and a nod.

Oscar Wilde

Serissa

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:49:37 pm »
After singing to and with the children for a very long time, Lana leaves Ben to amuse them and takes Serena aside.

"We have one floor of a large house in Wayfare," she says.  "Near enough for you to visit and see it for yourself.  There's a large empty bedroom.  Ben is a member of the Angels Guild and has a reliable income from that.  He's raised three boys, all of whom seem to have turned out well.  I have little to recommend me, but I do love children and get along well with them.

I think we both have fallen for little Katelyn...and well, that child who has lost her arm touches my heart.  Could we have both of them?  We'll seek out the best care for them both, and do our best to help them both become happy and productive adults."

Carillon

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 02:54:29 pm »
Serena listens calmly, then nods.

"Bria and Katelyn ... ah, you will not be getting much sleep, either of you, for a while," she says, offering a rueful smile. "Both are prone to night terrors right now, from the traumas they have seen, and will need a lot of care and love. But if you are certain you are up for the challenge ..."

She gives Lana a last chance to back out, then nods. "I will fetch the paper. We will ask you both to sign something and give names and address and such. We like to know where they go, so we can keep an eye on them in case there is trouble, you see. Not that there would be with you two ..." She offers a quick, reassuring smile. "But I am sure you understand."

She leaves Lana and Ben to play with the children for a minute as she fetches the papers. Katelyn seems enchanted by them both, watching them with her bright blue eyes. Bria keeps to herself, turning over one toy again and again with her one hand, her shoulders quivering slightly. She seems more fragile and less inclined to socialize with the other children.

Serena brings back the papers for them to fill out and sign--basic information, contact information, and such. The name "Harmony Vaeran again appears on the papers. It isn't overly bureaucratic, simply practical and functional. When they are done she invites them to stay and play with the children a bit more if they like, but says that they will tell the girls later that night and give them both time to adjust to the idea before bringing them over to the address Ben and Lana leave. Depending on how things go, they might visit once or twice, or stay right from the start--she says they can do either, and just play it by ear on how the girls are doing with the change, especially since both are having a hard time right now.

Assuming all goes well, the two little girls are brought over to the Wayfare house the next day, likely both a little excited and very nervous, anxious and fearful about meeting their new 'parents'. Both arrive with a heartbreakingly small sack of clothes and possessions--only the most basic necessities really.

Considering the trauma that the children Ben and Lana chose have been through, they can expect a lot of hiccups in the adjustment period. Many nightmares, crying, a few tantrums from both but definitely more from Bria. There are good days and bad days, and sadness for lost families and brothers and parents, lost homes, and lost arms, but with lots of love and patience things do slowly begin to get a little better. It is a gradual process, and the pain and trauma of the past cannot be erased, nor will it happen overnight, but given enough time and patience and care, the girls will surely settle into their new family.

cbnicholson

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:39:37 am »
Ben is seen lugging several pieces of furniture into the home at 189 Wayfare and several hours, curses, and the occasional banged thumb later, announces to Lana the girls rooms are ready after communicating a need for Lana to make more clothes for the two.  He then heads off to find certain priestesses he's familiar with to have a much need discussion about magical healing of Bria's missing limb.

Several days later, Benjamin is seen scowling fiercely as he drags several mahogany branches into the Hall of Dorand muttering to himself, "Can't regrow a buggered arm, worthless priests, I'll build me girl one!"

Oscar Wilde

anything