The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Lor  (Read 3051 times)

cbnicholson

Lor
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »
The Knights of the Wyrm pack up and move the leading edges of Rael's Army closer to Lor and the patrols resume.  Occasionally, their captain makes his way into Rael's army proper and is seen attempting to speak to the dwarvish captains of the newly arrived units.

//pm sent
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

akata

Lor
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2010, 03:19:03 pm »
In the wake of the rumors of her abandonment of Lor Angela is faithfully walking the streets repeating her proposal for Rael and her speech. For the few that dare to ask her face to face she gives this answer.

When you enter Lor you will pass by the statue of our founders. The Galeright twins, allow me to quote a few words from the inscription on the statue. "we rebuilt the town by hand, with whatever equipment we could find or build. The motivation and skill to withstand the swarms of orcs, bandits, and giants that crashed against our walls gave us the strength and perseverance to complete rebuilding in record time. With each assault of our swiftly rising city, the Galeright twins would mount the walls along with us, their new townsmen, and sweep aside the assailants. When those walls were completed, we looked to the twins to name our new home. The twins named the city Lor, after their beloved father. Lor has stood since that day, a testament to both dreams and perseverance."

Where is that Lor today? Where is the pride, where is the trustworthiness that Lor has always been famous for? Look to your Council and see how they trade your rights away out of fear.... Will Lord Rael have less of an army next year? Or the year after? Look at your merchants and how they hide their goods at the fear of war, look at the Mayors claiming Lord Rael will not attack. No? Then why does he keep gathering men north of Castle Mask? If Lord Rael had promised independence for his demands I would have considered it, but he has shown his true face. He wants Lor in his pocket and he won't rest before that happens. I will not stay and fight, I will not stay to protect a council that demands the life of my loved one in exchange for a leash around my neck. My offer for a life in freedom is for everyone, but it will not be here as long as the Council refuses to even try to keep Lor's freedom.

//a few things

Quote:

Originally Posted by willhoff
               View Post

*Vrebel strolls down to the docks to get a glimpse of the newly arrived ships.  He looks on with a bit of sorrow as fellow Lorites make thier way onto the ships headed for Stort.  He then makes haste to the Marshall's office with a determined look on his face. Later in the night he is also seen ducking into the newly set up Rofirenite bivouac to speak with the new knight captain*

It is roughly 400 miles between Lor and Castle Mask where the Rofirenites and Raelian forces are gathered. Unless Vrebel can teleport then he can't possibly enter the Rofirenite camp the same night as he talks to Marshall Sasha  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbnicholson
               View Post

The Knights of the Wyrm pack up and move the leading edges of Rael's Army closer to Lor and the patrols resume.  Occasionally, their captain makes his way into Rael's army proper and is seen attempting to speak to the dwarvish captains of the newly arrived units.

Rael's army is currently camped north of Castle Mask, since Castle Mask fall under Lor then Raels army and the Knights with it would have to move around it unless they want to violate the current agreement between Lor and Rael. Rael has no right of access to land held by Lor for an army.

Hellblazer

Lor
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »
// a horse can run at 45-50 mps for quite some time. If pushed it will run until it gets hurt or dies. So if Vrebel actually pushes his horse to it's limit he could make the trip in 8 hours. Faster if he gets Tray to cast a haste spell on the horse itself. IG that doesn't work due to how the horse is coded, but out of the box, the horse should still be hasted by a spell I think.

miltonyorkcastle

Lor
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010, 04:47:36 pm »
//// He'd have to change horses along the way- no horse can run that fast for that long- not without some serious, unconventional magical boosting (such as making the horse undead, heh). ////

akata

Lor
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010, 05:10:29 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellblazer
               View Post

// a horse can run at 45-50 mps for quite some time. If pushed it will run until it gets hurt or dies. So if Vrebel actually pushes his horse to it's limit he could make the trip in 8 hours. Faster if he gets Tray to cast a haste spell on the horse itself. IG that doesn't work due to how the horse is coded, but out of the box, the horse should still be hasted by a spell I think.

//not to take focus away from this thread by turning it into horse speed. but ehmm what are you basing those facts on?

I did a quick search on horses and speed and found this

"Horse Speed in MPH - How fast is your horse going?

Horses speed varies with their stride length, body build, and other factors, but here is a basic idea of how fast-- in miles per hour-- horses move at their various gaits:

Walk: Roughly 3-4 MPH. A pleasure show horse can go as slow as 2 mph. Gaited horses-- who do not trot-- can do a 'running walk' as fast as 15 mph.

Trot: The trot is roughly 8-10 MPH. Again, a shorter striding horse could trot slower, and a horse with a long stride could move faster.

Canter/Lope: 10-17 MPH.

Gallop: This depends on the horse's condition and athletic ability. Some horses are not built to run fast an may only do a fast canter at their best; however, the gallop is about 30 mph. Thoroughbreds, which are bred for running distance but not speed, have been clocked at over 40 MPH. Quarter horses, bred and raced for short distances at speed, can reach 50 MPH in short bursts according to the AQHA's website."

also dug up a few of the most astonishing races horses have done

1886: Frank Hopkins (of Hidalgo movie fame) a military dispatch rider, rode a stallion named Joe 1800 miles from Galveston, Texas, to Rutland, Vermont, in 31 days (average 58 miles/day). Joe finished in excellent condition, after traveling no more than 10 hours/day.

1892: Prussian and Austro-Hungarian soldiers raced from Berlin to Vienna. The winner rode 350 miles in 72 hours. The horse died, as did 25 others out of 199 who started.

1920: The first U.S. Cavalry Mounted Service Cup race averaged 60 miles/day for five days, carrying up to 245 lb. of rider and gear.

Modern Endurance Rides: The 100-mile rides are run by the same horse and rider in under 24 hours-- but there are usually 8 vet checks, where the horse is required to rest for 30 minutes, as well as pass a health check. That's 4 hours spent resting; also, the rider may get off and jog with their horse partway. These horses are also in top condition, and must pass many vet exams.

however I dislike comparing a fantasy world to our real world but the examples do prove that regardless of horse change then you can't cover 400 in one day much less 8 hours

the more simple approach would be to use the speed from DnD which have the fastes horse moving at 48 miles per day, granted you can force it to continue to move beyond the normal 8 hour but the horse will start to take damage

Movement :: d20srd.org

even with haste and endurance I fail to see how you will cover the 400 miles on horse or foot in one day

Hellblazer

Lor
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by akata
               View Post

//not to take focus away from this thread by turning it into horse speed. but ehmm what are you basing those facts on?

I did a quick search on horses and speed and found this

"Horse Speed in MPH - How fast is your horse going?

Horses speed varies with their stride length, body build, and other factors, but here is a basic idea of how fast-- in miles per hour-- horses move at their various gaits:

Walk: Roughly 3-4 MPH. A pleasure show horse can go as slow as 2 mph. Gaited horses-- who do not trot-- can do a 'running walk' as fast as 15 mph.

Trot: The trot is roughly 8-10 MPH. Again, a shorter striding horse could trot slower, and a horse with a long stride could move faster.

Canter/Lope: 10-17 MPH.

Gallop: This depends on the horse's condition and athletic ability. Some horses are not built to run fast an may only do a fast canter at their best; however, the gallop is about 30 mph. Thoroughbreds, which are bred for running distance but not speed, have been clocked at over 40 MPH. Quarter horses, bred and raced for short distances at speed, can reach 50 MPH in short bursts according to the AQHA's website."

also dug up a few of the most astonishing races horses have done

1886: Frank Hopkins (of Hidalgo movie fame) a military dispatch rider, rode a stallion named Joe 1800 miles from Galveston, Texas, to Rutland, Vermont, in 31 days (average 58 miles/day). Joe finished in excellent condition, after traveling no more than 10 hours/day.

1892: Prussian and Austro-Hungarian soldiers raced from Berlin to Vienna. The winner rode 350 miles in 72 hours. The horse died, as did 25 others out of 199 who started.

1920: The first U.S. Cavalry Mounted Service Cup race averaged 60 miles/day for five days, carrying up to 245 lb. of rider and gear.

Modern Endurance Rides: The 100-mile rides are run by the same horse and rider in under 24 hours-- but there are usually 8 vet checks, where the horse is required to rest for 30 minutes, as well as pass a health check. That's 4 hours spent resting; also, the rider may get off and jog with their horse partway. These horses are also in top condition, and must pass many vet exams.

however I dislike comparing a fantasy world to our real world but the examples do prove that regardless of horse change then you can't cover 400 in one day much less 8 hours

the more simple approach would be to use the speed from DnD which have the fastes horse moving at 48 miles per day, granted you can force it to continue to move beyond the normal 8 hour but the horse will start to take damage

even with haste and endurance I fail to see how you will cover the 400 miles on horse or foot in one day

here

Also different result over the web by search of specific breeds

The american quater horse have been clocked at 50-55 MPH

The American mustangs are clocked around 40 mph

The Spanish pure breed of mustang have also been clocked at around 40 mph

Arabian steeds are also clocked around 40-45 mph but they can hold the speed for a much longer time than the quarter horse or the mustangs. They were the principal choices for the long distances races that were being held in the Arabian desert due to their extraordinary constitution and speed.

I've found other references over the web if you go by type of horse

Quote:

Originally Posted by akata
               View Post

That is also what I said, depending if Vrebel is willing to push the horse past it's limit, depending if he gets pit stops where he can change horses like the poney express used to do, he could do it. Not counting spells that could be placed on the horse like extra strength, constitution, extended haste etc

Reading the movement link you gave it seems more like at a walk pace and not at a running pace. But anyways

Dezza

Lor
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:15 pm »

Quote:

View Post

//pm sent

//I may have misread your intention, but to clarify, Raels army have not moved from Castle Mask and there are no Rofireinites at Castle mask at present. They are at Prantz or Fort Hold.

Script Wrecked

Lor
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2010, 07:38:07 pm »
// Speed isn't the point here; a horse is not a car that you can drive at 100mph until the gas runs out.

Quote:

View Post

That is also what I said, depending if Vrebel is willing to push the horse past it's limit,

You mean, to its death.

FYI, you can't push something past its limit; you push something to its limit (and then it dies). Nor can you give more than 100%; if you only have $100, you can't give $110.

Quote:

View Post

depending if he gets pit stops where he can change horses like the poney express used to do, he could do it.

No random horses just waiting at convenient intervals across the landscape of southern Dregar (the dark elves keep eating them).

Quote:

View Post

Not counting spells that could be placed on the horse like extra strength, constitution, extended haste etc

LORE reference-linkHaste doesn't last that long.

Quote:

View Post

Reading the movement link you gave it seems more like at a walk pace and not at a running pace. But anyways

An experienced horse rider might disagree with you.

BTW everyone, its Marshal, one "el".

Hope this helps,

Also, can this discussion of horse travel rates be moved out of the Lor thread, to its own thread, starting at this post (excepting Dezza's post, including mine)?

Regards,

Script Wrecked. //

willhoff

Lor
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezza
               View Post

//I may have misread your intention, but to clarify, Raels army have not moved from Castle Mask and there are no Rofireinites at Castle mask at present. They are at Prantz or Fort Hold.

//to make things simple per the above and the horse speed argument please edit  my previous post to omit the part were Vrebel rides to meet with the Rofi knight.  He does speak with the Marshal though

davidhoff

Lor
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:28 pm »
//for clarification, where exactly is the Rael's army camped at?  I read Dezza say at "Castle Mask" and then I read Akata say no, not at Castle Mask, but just north of it (apparently because if they were at Castle Mask it would be some kind of violation of treaty).  Thanks

Dezza

Lor
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2010, 12:02:26 am »
//They are just North of Castle mask, there is a small group allowed into Castle mask for the negotiations but they have now moved back to the main camp to the north.

Cinnabar

Lor
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:43 am »
After many sessions over the months and years, including many more missed appointments, Caerwyn addresses his archery cadets in the training hall in Lor, his voice uncharacteristically subdued.

"You each have come along well, some better than I could have hoped. * he gives a subtle nod to Dordis, Gunder, and finally one to Ginny Reath, accompanied by a smile whose thinness is belied by the clear pride in his eyes * Truth be told, I've been an intermittent, and therefore poor, instructor, as ... events and other ... work have kept pulling me away from this charge. Unfortunately, the current situation unfolding up near  Castle Mask may overtake us, be we as ready as we'd like or not."

He pauses a moment to collect his thoughts as he clears his throat and winds back up to a more familiar barking timbre.

"That said, I'll offer some advice as to the role of massed archers in battle: Interdiction, in a word. A wounding shot that hits beats a kill shot that misses -every- time. Contrary to what you may have heard in story or song, the purpose of battle isn't to slaughter an enemy wholesale but to defeat him. Every member of an enemy force that can be made to cut and run can demoralize his remaining comrades to the point where they cut an run as well; battles develop like a dam breaking. If this comes to a fight, you may be called upon to help ensure that the enemy breaks before the city does."

Caerwyn looks each of the cadets in the eye, as he did on their very first session so long ago, before his voice softens again.

"If I can be back before this situation boils over, I will. Until then, keep your skills sharp, do as the Beacon Guard tells you, and keep practicing snap shooting so you can acquire and hit targets in the blink of an eye. If this -does- come to battle, for Gods' sake keep your heads down except to shoot, have faith in your comrades and commanders, and maintain your nerve. You're all good cadets and with luck you won't have to become soldiers too soon; if you do though, I know you will do Lor proud."

He offers them a warm smile as he turns to leave. Pulling up his hood, he allows his expression to darken privately as he mutters to himself alone:

"Dear Gods I hope they listened and can be ready in time."

mixafix

Lor
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2010, 09:46:58 am »
Lor today, from Nus the Bard

The office of Rael affairs was out in force today posing for street artists with news of their latest success. A Dark Elf has been detained and held at Lor prison. Local guards had apprehended a 'cowled figure' responsible for the murder of a local tax collector and on searching him they removed his hood to discover his dark elven features.

They immediately informed the office of Rael Affairs who were quick to act. In a statement Investigator Smith intimated that the dark Elf risked expulsion from Lor after the courts were finished with him. He further warned that this should be a lesson to any other dark Elves trying to enter Lor.

cbnicholson

Lor
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2010, 09:52:19 am »
Daniel returns to Fort Hold where his unit is garrisoned after full day of riding Edward hard, his expression sour revealing his unease. He gives a few terse instructions to his guard, "Double the number Knights who go out with the patrols. I want our men watching Rael's army at all times if possible." At the Knight's questioning look, Daniel replies, "Nay, the new units have no orders past securing Lord Rael's interests here and there has been no fighting with Dark Elves in the area either. We are in for a fair wait, I think, brother. Now see to your duty." With that, Daniel goes into his small private quarters and writes a rather bland report to the Principium in Prantz.

Oscar Wilde

Script Wrecked

Lor
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2010, 10:21:04 am »

Quote:

View Post

Daniel returns to Fort Hold where his unit is garrisoned after full day of riding Edward hard...

// Its 900 miles as-the-crow-files between Castle Mask and Fort Hold. Riding Edward hard for a day hard, i.e., dead, almost gets him to Golden. //

miltonyorkcastle

Lor
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2010, 11:34:20 am »
/// See here. ///

cbnicholson

Lor
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2010, 12:42:20 pm »
//He's not in or near Lor but south of Prantz folks with Rael's army..relax. The hard riding was his visiting various Raelian units in the area, not a marathon ride to Castle Mask and back.  I misunderstood initially where Rael's army was, my posts should be here if a moderator would be so kind as to move them.

Oscar Wilde

Dezza

Lor
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2010, 07:27:13 pm »
The Justicier in charge of the Rofierinite force in Fort Hold strides up to Daniel and salutes him before speaking.

"Welcome to Fort Hold Captain, you and those Knights who came with you can join the rest of the men at barracks at the eastern quarter outside the Fort. There is precious little space inside at present." He turns and indicates the dozen dark elf bodies hanging from nooses above the northern wall of the fort.

"Interesting decorations arent they. There are more coming in within the next 24 hours so stay close at hand." He turns to leave then turns back to Daniel.

"Oh, one more thing, Dont think you can ride into this Fort and undermine my command. The knights are here to protect my people so they can do their duty. Nothing else unless asked for. If you wish to ride with the Raelites then you apply to the Fort Commander and use the proper channels of command. You are dismissed Captain."

He gives a firm no nonsense glance at Daniel then turns back to two members of the Principium who approach him across the busy courtyard of the Fort.

Script Wrecked

Lor
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:32 pm »

Quote:

View Post

//He's not in or near Lor but south of Prantz folks with Rael's army..relax. The hard riding was his visiting various Raelian units in the area, not a marathon ride to Castle Mask and back.  I misunderstood initially where Rael's army was, my posts should be here if a moderator would be so kind as to move them.

// The Rael army detachment are near Castle Mask; not in or near Lor.

The as-the-crow-flies distance between Prantz and Castle Hold is ~250 miles; That's still a journey that cannot be accomplished by a "hard days riding". //

cbnicholson

Lor
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2010, 09:04:44 am »
Daniel snaps off a salute in return and stands at attention, eyes front as the Justicar gives him his speech.  "Thank you for the welcome sir." With a slight puzzled frown, Daniel nods in the appropriate places, then clearly dismissed, he salutes again and does an about face, moving away quickly toward the other Knights.  As he clears a good distance he turns and regards the dark elf heads and says quietly and a bit sadly, "So this is your will, Lord Dragon, this is your truth - heads on a wall, your church supporting a Lord who all but banished them from Prantz?"  Daniel waits a few minutes as if expecting a reply, then shakes his head finishing his walk back to the barracks.

Oscar Wilde

anything