The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Murder most foul  (Read 684 times)

Serissa

Murder most foul
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:20:22 am »
Coming out of the Angels guild hall in Hempstead a few days ago, I heard a piercing scream. I ran into the craft hall to find Delia pointing to a severed head on the gemcraft table. Polished garnets glittered in the poor fellow's face in place of eyes, and a note was jammed into his open mouth. The neck separation was ragged, looking like the head had been hacked off with a gem chisel. Shaking, Delia declared that the head had belonged to Ash Ludwig, a relatively unskilled student of gemcraft. Asked about other persons seen in the hall, she said that a dark-haired halfling man wearing lots of jewelry had exited as she entered.  She thought that he had been gemcrafting, too. Upon further questioning, she remembered that he had winked with a garnet-colored glittering eye as he left whistling the tune to the gnomish song, "Her Many Facets." Although she couldn't be certain whether he was gnomish or halfling, she was able to give a good description, stating that the suspect had teeth that glittered in many colors, a fancy pinkish-purple shirt (like a bard's or noble's), and a hat with a red feather. Delia noted that the feather was missing when the fellow left. Celador then read the note, which appeared to have been written in blood: "So many flawed gems.. This one's clumsy meat hands do gemcraft a great heresy.  Well no, would-be crafter.. it is the gems that wear you. ~ G" Looking about, Cel found the rest of the body in a nearby furnace, and I noted footprints in the gemdust, roughly size seven. The rest of the craft hall was unremarkable. Jako went to inform Captain Trent and check the guild store, while Olmae followed a trail of garnet dust to the public part of the Angels guild hall. We found blood all over statues in the guild hall, wall decorations slashed, sixteen eyeballs floating in the fountain, and what looked like lich poison in the refreshments chest.  Worst of all, Daniel Poetr's statue had been defaced with a chisel and on the wall behind it was written "I'm coming for you, Danny Boy!" (The current Daniel Benjamin Poetr is the grandson of old Daniel.)  Strangely, Mercas's statue was unharmed, and on the wall behind it was written in blood: "Now there was an artist!" Upon hearing noises behind the stage curtain, Ferrit demanded that the intruder show himself. A small gem on the ground shook and grew into a huge diamond golem, which was dispatched by the party, leaving only a diamond heart and a bit of dust.  The remains and the bottle of suspected lich ichor were left in a labeled chest for our guild wizards' inspection.  The eyeballs were sealed into a container and put out behind the building. Jako said that Captain Trent thought the man might be assassin Garnet of the Silver Fist (a band of mercenaries broken up by the Angels), and Oly remembered that the guard said that Mortissar Bael, who employed the Fist, has a skeletal arm. As this was the second murder and defacing of our property, we all agreed that it was time to post that reward and gather to end this outrage. All Angels and all other interested parties are called to help end this scourge.  We will meet in Center one day hence (8pm-11pm EST 03/10/15). ~~Ferrit

The following users thanked this post: swoop, Acacea, Olme, cbnicholson

Olme

-- another  hand written note
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:26:20 am »

-- another  hand written note is pinned to the first--

Per prior contact with the authorities in Hempstead:

Garnet is a known, wanted assasin believed employed by the Silvers.

He is described as a 3'8" halfling, obsessed with Gems. He has been sighted at places where gems are processed.

Hempstead has already  a  standing 5000 true bounty on him ( dead or alive)

In addition it is known with certainty that this Garnet struck elsewhere.

In a prior crime  a victim identified as Bill Delaney of Center was found gruesomly murdered.

There is no doubt that Garnet was responsible.

lonnarin

*Town Criers across the land
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:08:00 am »

*Town Criers across the land can be heard announcing...*

The halfling assassin known as Garnet has been vanquished!  A group of adventurers headed by the Angels Guild recently took this bloody murderer down, earing the participants a sizeable reward reportedly paid out of the guild's own pockets.  Nice folks, them.  Now I know where I'm getting my next mandolin!

mixafix

Thorn Thistletoe the Seventh
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:22:12 am »

Thorn Thistletoe the Seventh belatedly appears in front of the Town Crier at Center and rebukes the poor fellow regards his latest news. "Well I am glad that someone finally caught this terrible murderer who has cast a shadow over Halflings everywhere. It is good news my sister trading company is back on it's feet, finally. I run Thistle Traders you know, you might want to shout about that now and again!"

Pausing for breath but sharp enough to get in again before the Crier can get to shouting again he adds."Yeah this one halfling terror has affected trade everywhere, and not every trading company has sufficient options and plans to keep on working under such adverse trading conditions -luckily Thistle Traders kept going....I say that's spelt.. THIST...."

The Crier stares him down briefly and so Thorn cuts short his advertising campaign explaining "Yes well you get the idea. But that lot at the fallen Angel are all over the place right now I have a large stock of goods to go and they are log jammed up at their Barter drop off department. Shoddy really...hello...where are you going?"

lonnarin

In the aftermath, Lucy and
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:18:27 pm »

In the aftermath, Lucy and her baby brother Dougan are placed in the care of the Ilsarian temple to find a suitable home for them.  One loving elder couple who could not bear children themselves decided to take the two children into their homes.  They were astonished to find a parcel of true arrive at their doorstep, a total sum of 6500 true from the Ilsaian temple.  A note attached indicates that they have and avdneturer named Vrebel to thank for that great boon of generosity.  Hearing of the news, eager couples line up at the temple of Ilsare inquiring about any other adoptions.

anything