The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Sederra  (Read 375 times)

Dezza

Sederra
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:04:46 am »
A lone gull wings its way over the debris strewn beach of Audiria, over the battered city, veering its way around a large column of black smoke and into a window of the Synods main building. A caretaker druid arrives and speaks with the animal then hurries to his masters chambers. Hearing the birds message the Master issues orders and soon servants are running throughout the small palace in a state of haste.

Sand Synod Cabalists are mustered and detachements of guards formed up and sent to the remnants of the cities western and southern gates.

One of the Synods, Master Ashah Ke'toom emerges from the wing of the Palace and addresses the remaining Cabalists and his remaining leaders of the Synod forces in Audiria.

"My brothers and sisters, I have good and bad news.
I have received word that the allied fleet coming to aid us has been attacked and lost several ships. I do not know how many remain to help defend against the Cult fleet soon to arrive. However, sometime today over 4000 Raelite soldiers should arrive at the southern gate to the city with the Rael engineers who will assemble seige engines for the coming battles and I am told others will start to arrive each day after to bolster our defences.  Also shortly I will go to the western gate and receive the first of the Succession forces. I am to understand that 500 Light cavalry are even now approaching the city.

I am also led to believe that the Cult fleet has split into smaller groups. One has changed directly slightly and is heading towards the northern side of the city while the other is coming directly towards us, there are also three ships that have veered slightly southwards.  There is a dragon with both the north group and the ones coming towards us.

The fleet should arrive within 3 days. It is time we made ready to receive those that are going to aid us as well as for the battle ahead. You know what to do."

The following users thanked this post: Dorax Windsmith, Serissa, gilshem ironstone, incahootz, Alatriel, davidhoff

Dezza

Re: Sederra
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:33:51 pm »
For that day and the entire night that follows Audiria is alight. Fires are lit all around the city as Raelite soldiers begin the task of helping the Synod soldiers set up defensive positions all over the city. During the night another 3000 Raelite soldiers march into the city bolstering the numbers already present. Early morning sees another 500 Succession light cavalry arrive.

With dawns first light tired and dusty soldiers regard each other, there is little to no rest for any man or woman. Children still in the city are pressed into service taking drinking water around to all the soldiers busy clearing debris and and digging in fortifications. To many, the most impressive sight is the large seige engines the Raelite Engineers had begun to build in various locations around the city. Heavy timbered machines capable of launching boulders or projectiles at great speed and distance. Each of the 8 machines are well defended by heavy crossbow weilding Raelite guards and All'ra's. No non Raelite soldiers are allowed anywhere near the contraptions.

By midday streams of Raelite soldiers march along the southern coastal road, their lines stretching back into the distance. As they reach Audiria they are directed to various defensive positions and then just after midday, it happens.

At first it was a speck out to sea and barely noticed but within minutes it became apparant to observers that it was no speck. As the first warning bells began to peal Rael soldiers looked about unsure what was going on, unaware that the bells signalled an impending Dragon attack. Succession Light infantry swept into action riding their mounts hard to the south to warn Raelite soldiers on the open road to try and get to some sort of cover before the Dragon attacks.

It wasnt until the dragon swept over the city's beaches and turned south that the soldiers began to realise what was happening and began to break formation. It was too late for many in the front lines. The Dragon breathed and fire rained down on those in sharp lines, then all was confusion. The Raelites in the city moved to protect the precious Seige weapons that had not yet been finished while the dragon advanced south along the road attacking and killing Raelite soldiers in large clumps.

Then more confusion as another dragon dove in from the North coming in over the wall and attacking a large Raelite position around one of the precious seige engines. Fire enguled the area and the Dragons roars could be heard across the city.  Raelites in other positions marshalled their forces and began jogging through the city towards the dragons location.

Within moments the first seige engine was destroyed, a fire of blackened wood and metal along with over a hundred soldiers trying to protect it and two All'ra. The Dragon leapt into the air and targeted the next one destroying that as well before Raelite soldiers with mithril tipped Long spears arrived and began causing the Dragon multiple injuries. Only then did it climb into the air and flee north.

Meanwhile on the road to the south the other Dragon proceeded down the Raelite lines, killing and maiming as it went until it hit a group containing some Priests of Sulterio who returned fire at the Dragon. Their attacks enough to shy the dragon off and it turned and fled west over the sea.

As the dust settled over 500 Raelite soldiers had lost their lives in the suprise attack and even worse was the loss of two seige engines. The Successions Cavalry had lost a dozen riders who had chosen to risk their lives to try and warn the Raelite soldiers on the southern road.

A Synod Cabalist was heard to comment to a group of Raelite soldiers talking about the Dragon attack, "Welcome to our war."

Dezza

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:04:16 am »
And as the day begins a vast black seething mass of storm clouds are seen to the northeast out over the ocean. Even here in Audiria the wind is up and the water roils. Over the last day and a half the dragon attacks have come thick and fast, buildings are demolished, defences rapidly built as more and more Rael soldiers pour into Audiria. Across the desert pushing as hard as they can come Succession soldiers in their thousands, pouring in every hour to the city.

As quickly as they enter they are sent to different positions inside and outside the city for the coming battle.

Thankfully in the last few hours the Remaining Raelite seige engines whirred into life and two scored direct hits on the dragons forcing them to rethink their dominance over the city as they swept back out to sea.

Then the alarm bells sound. Sails are seen in the distance and from them arise black spots, 10, 20, 50, 100, 1000 and more large shapes rising from the ships and flying across the waters towards the entrenched positions of the soldiers on the beach. From above the dragons circle watching the progress of the Myr'Drachs.  On the beach from a raised position Lord Rancion III raises the Banner of the Audiria forces and roars to all in forward positions.

"Prepare for battle, make every bolt count, For Dreger!!!!!!"

A mighty cheer roils across the beach as the combined hosts prepare to meet the first wave of the Cult attack.

Dezza

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:28:53 am »
For hours the battle for Audiria rages with an intensity that belies imagination. The first waves of Myr'drachs descended on the city, some falling to the heavy crossbows of the Raelites, others still felled by the Raelite seige engines with their almost constant whirring sounds and thumps as they released their deadly payloads.

Within the first few hours the Myr'drachs gained the beaches and began to advance into the edge of the city. Here Succession lancers charged the beaches their horses fearless in the face of such terrible foes. Lances smashed and broke upon the hard bodies of the Myr'drachs and many lives were lost. The battle became a twisting and bloody tendril of attacks and counter attacks.

News of one Dragons death at the hands of the adventers that travelled south boyed the morale of the forces but within hours of that news the devastating asaults by the remaining dragon was taking its toll on the defenders.

Raelite, Synod and Succession soldiers were dying in their hundreds, their blood staining the once beautiful sandy beaches of Audiria. By late afternoon fires raged in many of the remaining buildings near the beach and two more of the Raelite seige engines had been destroyed. Drachs in longboats then started to move onto the beaches and secure their own defences. Holding ground while the Myr'drachs swept in waves into the front lines of the defenders. All the while magical energies thundered back and forth across the battlefield from both sides.

By nightfall the battle slowed as the Cult forces established forward positions at the edge of the city, Myrdrachs hunted the streets between the Drach positions and the allied forces killing any they found there. Overhead the dragon flew now and again, wary of getting into range or position where the Raelite seige engines could strike at it.

With the first hint of dawns early light Succession scouts came racing back into Audiria through the northern gate intdicating another wave of Myrdrachs was going to hit Audiria within a short time and a dust cloud further north indicated more ground forces were coming.

Succession infantry just up from North Fort immediately moved to hold the northern perimeter bolstered by several thousand more Raelite infantry that arrived overnight.

Meanwhile in the command tent Master Ashah and Lord Rancion III alongwith the Raelite General in charge of the overall operation conferred.

Lord Rancion II addresses both men, "We lost nearly two thousand soldiers and cavalry in the first few waves of the attacks by the Myrdrachs and the dragons on the city, the rest of the fighting over the day we lost another thousand. We have hundreds of wounded in camps outside the western gates. We lost the beaches just before dusk and fell back to the secondary defences already in place a few streets back from the docks area.

I received word earlier that the allied fleet to the north destroyed many of the enemies ships but their Myr'drachs and some drachs made it to shore. These are the forces I am assuming are coming down the northern beach road as we speak. I've got a mixture of the Succession, Toranite and Rofireinite forces holding that wall but its a big wall. We've got numbers but those blasted Myr'drachs and their wings are creating havoc. We can build defences but they just fly over them and attack us from behind.

I've established roving patrols of Raelite elite Heavy infantry to hit trouble areas as needed and i've tripled the protection around the remaining seige engines. We can take down the dragon, we just need to hit it and so far we haven't been able to do that. We've got four out of eight left. We need to protect them as best we can.

I've got about three thousand soldiers on that northern wall, five covering the eastern defences in the city from those on the beach and another thousand on both the southern and western walls. I'm holding a reserve of 3500 just south of the city and another 2000 ready to cover our retreat to the west if necessary.

Their soldiers are good but so are ours, its their Myr'drachs and that dragon that are doing all the damage. Each one we take down we lose a lot of men.

I think we can hold the city for a few days, longer if we can maintain security over our supply lines but if they realise that and send the Dragon after them we could be in trouble."

The deep dwarf looks up at Lord Rancion and in a deep gruff voice speaks, "We will not hold the city for a few days, we will hold it for as long as it takes to kill every last one of those things free this nation from their foul grip."

Lord Rancion bows, "Yes General." Lord Ashah watches with black eyes.

Suddenly a man clad in golden armour enters the tent and salutes those present.

Captain Daniel Poetr speaks plainly, "My Lords, the first wave of Myr'drachs to the North are about to attack. I've ordered my men to prepare a charge should they breach the wall and land in the street behind it. We'll do our best."

The General nods briefly then speaks, "You're men and women fought well yesterday, they are a credit to your order. Let us see to the defence of the city and the winning of this war."

Dezza

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:52:21 am »
Another day passes and large clouds of dark smoke drift into the air of over the sun scorched deserts around Audiria. High above a lone gull soars free oblivious to the death and destruction going on beneath its wings. It is only aware of the faint sounds of steel on steel, of fire and explosions and of the screams of the dying far below it.

Its peace is broken as a massive shape dives from a cloud above, the dragon descending once more to attack those in the city below. Flying into its slipstream the gull squarks angrily trying to once again finds its steady rythmn. Its beady eye looks down watching the descending dragons spiraling form.

The Dragon, its vision gone in one eye from a bolt from the Raelite seige engine, descended rapidly. One wing tucked in carefully the other sticking out due to an injury from an earlier encounter. Blood trailed on its body from numerous bolts from heavy crossbows that had managed to penetrate its scales over the days battle. Corruption in its blood it could only hear the call of the one that controlled it and the smell of blood and death overwhelmed its sense.

Diving for at least the twentieth time that day, its stumoch, legs and claws was lathered in sweat and the blood of enemy soldiers it had torn apart since the morning.

Its good eye focused as it descended over the northern wall, earlier that day the newly arrived forces had taken the northern wall of the city and the first two streets before a combined charge by Rofirenites and Succession cavalry held their advance in check and allowed the Raelite Heavy infantry to enter the breaches and block up the gaps holding the enemy at bay. For the rest of the day the battle lines there had wavered back and forth by the allied armies had managed to hold against the Cult forces.

To the east the Cult forces trapped on the beaches had overrun two of the citys main wells by mid afternoon and controlled at least a quarter of the city. The push to link up with the northern forces smashed by Synod Cabalists leading Synod pikemen and Succession soldiers. Their losses had been huge but they had kept the two enemy forces from combining their strength.

The dragon spotted a lone soldier amidst some rubble and reached with a claw as it passed over ripping his head off. Spiraling up it clawed at a buiulding sending heavy debris into a group of succession soldiers hiding behind the wall killing several before they knew what hit them.

And so the battle continued until dusk closed over them once again and the main conflicts subsuided and both sides sat back to lick their wounds. Once again at night Myrdrachs patrolled the sections of the cities the Cult now controlled.

Dezza

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:02 am »
By midday of the following day the Rael General Orvaar T'sek huddles beneath a broken overhang from the Azattan temple with Lord Rancion III, Master Ashah and several other commanders from the various forces in Audiria.  Each is covered in sand, dust and blood from several days of hard fighting in the city streets.

The Rael general has to shout to be heard over the sounds of fighting in the streets nearby, the sound of the last remaining seige engines and the roars of the Myr'drachs and the dragons ceaseless attacks from the air.

"Master Ashah your soldiers are done, have them fall back to the desert camps west of Audiria, they can rest and resupply from the wagon trains coming from North Fort and protec the wagon trains and refugees for a while."

The proud desert Synod leader's eyes flash, "Our men will fight with every last drop of their blood before they give up their land."

The General studies the mans face for a moment then shouts back, "That may well be but they are no good to us if they are dropping from exhaustion. You asked for our help and now you've got it, you can't ague how you get it and now I'm telling you to order your men to fall back or I will have my men do it for you."

Their eyes locked onto each other for several moments before Master Ashah turned away, his parting words simply, "I will do as you ask."

The General then turned to Leige Paradin of Succession, a tall man in his mid thirties and used to a softer life back in Succession. "Have your men been able to hold the northern quadrant of the city?"

The Leige lowered a dirty handkerchief that was almost constantly over his mouth and nose, how he was still alive remained a mystery to the Rael General. "I am sorry to have to report we had to withdraw another two streets."

The General kicked the ground viciously sending rocks and pebbles into the Leige causing him to flinch. "That is not acceptable, you tell your men they stand and die, they do not retreat. Does that mean you lost another seige engine?"

The Leiges eyes flashed angrily, "Yes, another one is gone."

A string of Deep Dwarven curses issue forth from the General's mouth. "What of the Rofireinites and Toranites? Did you kill all of them too you incompetent?"

The leige retorts angrily, "You cannot talk to me that way, I am a Leige of Succession and I demand your respect."

"You demand respect do you?" The general shouted back, those gathered warily watching the confrontation that had been brewing for days.

"I do and if I dont get it I will take all of our soldiers and supplies and return to Succession, I swear I will. Its no use us dying out here for these camel eaters."

There is a flurry of movement and angry retorts from those gathered but none faster than General Orvaar whose axe severs the mans head in a fountain of blood. Stunned looks from those around him greet him as he wipes and resheathes his axe on his belt.

He turns to Lord Rancion III, "Go and find the Rofireinite Captain Daniel Poetr, tell him he's just been put in charge of the northern forces, all of them, and if any of the Succession soldiers have a problem with that, he can hang them from whatever he can find. Is that clear?"

Lord Rancion III bows quickly, "Yes Sir, General." He races off ducking as a wall nearby collapses from a boulder dropped by the passing dragon.

The General looks to the others gathered, mixed commanders from the three forces, all ignore the growing pool of blood from the dead Leige's body. "The Synod forces are exhausted, they need relief, I intend to give it to them, The Succession forces are unreliable, when word of this idiots death reaches them I expect we'll lose some of them. It will fall to us to take the brunt of this war. I mean to win this war and kill every last motherless one of those things. I want progress, I don't want to hear that we've lost anymore ground. If someone retreats without orders to retreat I want them hung, if anyone fails to follow one of your orders as passed on by me, I want them hung. We are in a war and make no mistake we are losing it at the moment.

Just before this meeting I received word from scouts that they had spotted another force near the Keshtan Oasis southwest of Rael. They born Cult weapons and equipment but were a mixed group of human, mercenariesand the like. Master Ashah identified one of the men there as the leader of the Hands of Fate. At this point in time they are not moving but estimates put them in the hundreds and they have secured one of the main freshwater sources for a hundred miles south of Audiria. While they don't threaten us at the moment they are going to be a problem soon enough. We've heard nothing from the adventurers we sent south so either they have joined them or been captured by them or are dead.

I'm going to commit whatever reserves I have south of the city into holding the eastern quadrant. Just before dusk tonight we are going to counterattack and try and regain some of the streets we have lost today so be ready for it.

There is some good news though, the remnants of the allied fleet that sailed from Hurm was seen about an hour ago to the north. They should reach the enemy ships holding offshore early tomorrow. If they can break the sea blockade at least we can start bringing in troops behind the enemy and supplies a lot faster too. Now get out there and lets win this war."

Grim faces nod and clap each other on the back before they dart and scurry away to their respective commands.

Dezza

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 04:48:39 am »
The next morning and it has been a night the Cult would rather forget. On the eastern front General Orvaars planned counterattack proceeded taking the Cult by suprise as thousands of reserve soldiers poured into the city and through a breech opened in the Cult lines by the Raelite General himself. Witnesses to the event claim he took down three or four Myrdrachs unaided in the bloody fighting before forcing the breech and holding it with a unit of Elite heavy infantry for the soldiers to pour through. Over the next few hours the mixed Raelite soldiers managed to reclaim two more streets and one of the lost wells before the Cult reformed and held their lines with the aid of the weary Dragon that they called in again. While the Raelite losses were heavy in the fighting the troops were cheered by the advantage gained.

In the northern Quadrant the Cult managed to overrun three key positions in the evening as Succession soldiers began to desert their posts. By Midnight the Rofireinite Captain Daniel Poetr had managed to regain control of the remaining forces and rallied support amongst the remaining Succession unit commanders. From there under cover of darkness and the heavy fighting to the eastern quarter of the city he formed units that used hit and run tactics against Cult locations in shifts throughout the night, trying to deny them any rest. It seemed to work as when the alloted time arrived for the usual Cult attack it came and went.

Even the dragon was absent from the sky for the first few hours.

Over the ocean things were different. The battle seemed to move from the city to the water as the Allied fleet descended on the Cult ships. Of the fourteen ships and 5 Blood Circle ships, including the Admirals ship that left Hurm, four ships, 3 Blood Circle Captains and the Admiral sailed into the enemy fleet. For the next few hours explosions and magical detonations were heard across the water. The Cult attacks in the eastern quadrant ceased as Myrdrachs were pulled from fortifications and sent out to help the fleet against the Allied ships.

In the North the Cult attacks were lacklustre and Daniels tactics enabled them to hold most of the line and to gain some ground in other areas.

By Midday most of the Cult ships were smouldering or broken along with several of the attackers ships. The Red Bears flagship was engaged in a heavy battle with Myrdrachs all over it trying to tear it apart. The Admiral was clearly seen in the leading fronts of the battles on his ship. His massive greatsword cleaving Myr'drachs in two. Many saw him for what he was, a half fire giant and extremely formidable warrior.

And as the battles continued, just after Midday General Orvaar called his main commanders together. He appeared tired and worn but made no mention of it as he spoke.

"Captain Daniel, good work last night, I believe the decorations around the city should help to slow the flow of deserters from the Succession armies." He points to several men hanging from broken buildings nearby.

"My men managed to regain one of the wells last night and force the enemy back to their previous lines but it was costly. I lost half my reserve and there wont be any more soldiers from Rael for at least two or three days. What we have now is all we have. The Allied Fleet have all but done in the Cult fleet but they arent in any shape to do much more, the nearest safe haven where they can dock and get supplies is south in Sloven. I expect they will head south once the last Cult ship is done."

He runs a dirt and blood stained hand through his beard.

"Now we havent seen that dragon this morning so I'm hoping we've hurt it enough its had to rest somewhere for a while but we have another problem. I received word about an hour ago that tomorrow morning the enemy will be receiving reinforcements. Another dragon and at least 3 units of Myrdrachs, about 60 of them. The myrdrachs are one thing, another Dragon could break us. I want ideas before nightfall on how to address that. I refuse to give up the city but if we dont hold them until more soldiers arrive we are going to lose this battle. Now get back to your posts."

Grim, tired and worn faces glance at each other before they begin to make for their positions.

Later that afternoon Allied forces sadly watch as the Allied fleet sails south, unable to participate in any further fighting. Then on the northern lines a scout arrives in Sir Daniels command post.

"Sir, it seems there is a wagon train that has followed the southern road from Boyer. Its madness sir, the've got one of their wagons stuck several miles from the city. They are sitting ducks out there, once the Cult see them they will capture the supplies and kill those who risked bringing it here!"

They both duck suddenly as a dark shape flies overhead, the Cult dragon having appeared late in the afternoon and resumed its terrorising of the allied troops.

Torn over what to do about it Daniel speaks, "We cannot do anything for them, get me the looking glass, we'll see if we can see where they are from that broken tower over there."

Reaching the tower they made their way up the rubble strew stairs and Daniel took out the looking glass. The last vestiges of the days sun fading gave him a short time to observe the wagons.

"It's too late, darkness is almost upon us and the Cult have already seen them, a group is already heading their way, whoever is out there wont be able to dig their wagon out in time. May Rofirein watch over them."

Raising the looking glass once again he tries to see whats happening.

"Its too dark, I can barely make out whats out there. They Cultists have summoned the dragon though, I saw one waving a signal around."

Heavy wings flap overhead and the dragon flies towards the north.  Moments later in the darkness a bright bloom of fire appears as the dragon breaths on the wagons. Daniel presses the looking glass to his eye hoping the sudden light might be able to allow him to see whats going on. Some of the wagons burn brightly illuminating part of the area. Daniel jerks back from the looking glass for a moment.

"It cant be..." He presses it once again to his eye, the scout nearby cant help but ask.

"Cant be what Sir?"

Daniel blinked again, "For a moment I swore I saw a shield out there with a familiar symbol."

In the dim light cast by the fires Daniel watches again and a terrible scene unfolds that he recounts to the men gathered around him.

"The cultists are almost at the burning wagons, wait, yes, there they are, they are moving around the burning wagons, obviously looking for survivors. What! By the Gold! I can't believe it. There are dwarves out there, not Raelites either, real dwarves! By the Gold they are attacking the Cultists! They were hidden in the sands. This is no wagon train on a fools mission, this is a counterattack!" Excited babble from the men around him as he continues to relate whats occuring out in the desert north of the city.

"More dwarves are coming up the road now, they must have been hidden behind a dune further back, there are hundreds of them. I cant tell its too dark everywhere except around the wagons. Wait...Oh no, a Cultist has got clear and is signalling the city and the dragon. *curse* Daniel suddenly turns to one of the men.

"Get down and rouse the men, as many as can fight, get them to the forward positions, light fires, make noise, as much as you can, make them think we are going to attack. It might give those guys in the desert a chance." The men salute and rush to obey their orders and soon below the noise begins as the soldiers follow orders and start moving to their lines.

Daniel talks to himself as he peers again through the looking glass, cursing the fact that it was night and he had a hard time making out what was going on. "Who are you? And do you realise the dragon is not far away?"

In his vision suddenly as if on cue a powerful dwarf stands tall directing dwarves with long polearms to various positions around the wagon. daniel blinked quickly and looked again. "By the Gold! Its Kobal! They must be from the Runic Anvil."

As he watched the dragon descended on the dwarves raking them with fire, Kobal leapt up onto the back of the tallest wagon oblivious of the flames that licked over his body and cleaved at the dragons belly, blood splattered him and the dragon roared leaping up again into the darkness.

His warriors moved about the wagons engaging the remaining Drachs as Kobal stood on the wagon calling insults into the air. Then the dragon returned and dwarven battlepriests cast magics and enchantments at the creature. Some trickled off its hide, others seemed to affect it, the Dragon shied at the attacks and Kobal, in a mighty leap clung onto the dragons good wing using his strenght to pull himself over the wing and onto the creatures back. The dragon landed and flapped its wings, snapping back with its head trying to reach the dwarf on its back. Seemingly suddenly blinded the dragon flailed about almost helplessly. Kobal drew some small axes from his belt and chopped at the creatures back, attempting to cut the powerful nerves and tendons where the creatures wing met its back. The dragon roared in fury and pain, its cries hear clearly across the northern quadrant of the city.

Torn between going to direct his men or watching the battle unfold Daniel found himself leaning out of the broken window as if he could will Kobal and his men to victory from there.

As if pre-rehearsed more dwarves armed with long polarms and others with long chains raced foward and with long casts looped chains over the raging dragon. Several were grabbed or kicked or crushed by the creatures franctic efforts to escape. Kobal, bleeding from numerous wounds, his left arm hanging limp by his side stoicly hammered at the creatures wing until it dropped uselessly by its side.

More dwarves rushed to help secure the chains over the dragon driving heavy spikes into the desert sands with large hammers. Suddenly with the last drachs gone it seemed the desert was alive with dwarves as they surrounded the dragon and with each moment they draw the chains tighter and tighter. Havy flasks of acid were thrown at the dragons wings burning and eating into its hard scales.

Wounded, KObal leapt down from the dragons back, rolling in the sand to avoid a vicious slash from the dragons claw. Coming to his feet a fellow warrior handed him a large axe while a dwarven battle priest quickly cast healing energies to restore his left shoulder.

Testing its flexibility with a few twirls of his arm Kobal walked forward to the dragons head and stood just out of range of its snapping jaws. Even with over forty dwarves holding the chains over its back and tail down the dragon fought with unmatched fury to escape. Its hide was scarred and badly pitted and damaged from days of fighting.

Daniel watched as Kobal raised the huge axe, spun it in several arcs and brought it crashing down on the creatures neck. Blood fountained and gushed and the dragons roar turned into a bloody gurgle. Kobal swung again and the head parted and the body sighed and sagged to the ground.

And in the desert outside the city the dwarves cheered for their Thane and leader around the dead body of the dragon.

Daniel sat back, wild emotions racing through his body. Moments later he was racing down the rubble strewn steps two at a time risking injury to do so.
Reaching the street he fairly leapt into the saddle and rode for the front lines calling every single man and women who could weild a weapon to him as he did so.

"TO ARMS, To ARMS."

The call was taken up as he reached the frontlines, already over a thousand soldiers of the mixed forces had arrived wondering what was going on.

"We have allies outside the city we need to make a path for them. Follow me, we will force a hole in the enemies lines and give our friends a way in."

Quickly the Rofireinite and remaining Toranite forces arranged themselves around and behind the Captain, hasty plans were made and the infantry from Succession loyal still to the cause prepared to hold the breech Daniel hoped the Cavalry could make in the enemy lines.

As a body they moved forward slowly picking their way through the rubble strewn streets. Then ahead they were in sight of the enemy lines. Unsure and confused the enemy hesitated, but it was enough. Daniel ordered the cavalry to charge as Succession archers opened up on the enemy frontlines.

As the cavalry built up speed the archers ceased their attacks and moved forward with the infantry. The thunderous sounds of over 400 horses filled the streets and the voices of over a thousand warriors. The Cavalry hit the front lines like a hammer on an anvil, horses screamed and fell, Myrdrachs leapt into the air to pick riders off the backs of mounts and crush them in their claws and the battle was joined.

Meanwhile outside the city a just under a thousand Runic Anvil dwarven elite heavy infantry marched on the northern gate to the city. Behind them on the road came another 100 Boyer Light cavalry and 400 Boyer archers. Alarm bells were raised in the Cult lines as they suddenly found themselves between two forces. The dwarves reached the broken gates remains and Kobal raised a great cry and signalled the charge. A thousand roaring dwarves smashed into the Cult forces inside the northern Gate like a hammer into soft steel.

For hours into the night the fight raged and just before midnight the combined forces smashed a hole in the Cult defences and the arriving forces poured through to join their brothers in arms within the city already. Once the last man was clear Daniel ordered the retreat and the forces withdraw to the previous battle lines. Within the city the dwarves and Boyer soldiers were greeted with thanks and applause, expecially when they heard the tale of the slaying of the dragon. While, less than a few blocks away the Cult forces remaining wondered if they had just lost the battle in the long run.

Dezza

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:40:24 am »
In the early hours of the next morning Daniel met with General Orvaar and other commanders, bouyant and happy while exhausted beyond measure. It had been a big night of fighting. When it came his turn to report Daniel fairly burst out with his news.

"General I hope you got my message about the Dragon being dead, it was a  magnificent feat. Thane Kobal and some of his best soldiers from the Runic Anvil killed it last night. I ordered an assault in order to aid them gaining access into the city so they could join with us in the northern quadrant. He brought some Boyer troops as well, we've got enough numbers now to make up for the lost Succession soldiers."

The General grunted then spoke, "Thane Kobal." He pauses to spit onto the ground. "You can keep him in the northern quadrant."

A bit taken aback by the generals response Daniel retorted. "If it weren't for them that Dragon would be killing your men right now General and we would probably be losing ground in the northern quadrant."

The General shrugged his broad shoulders. "He might be here just in time to die for Audiria." The Generals calm comment again took Daniel aback as he began to wonder what had changed after some good rallies over the last 24 hours and the death of the dragon.

Suddenly as if in answer to his thoughts there was a lour roar overhead and a huge silvery gold dragon tinged with corruption flashed past. Instead of fire blasting from its maw, clouds of acid sprayed men and horses. Screaming could be heard where its acid fell as men and animals burned from the acid.

Daniel looked around those gathered and saw the sense of defeat in their eyes, in their stances. How could they stand against a force with so many dragons, with so many mighty Myr'drachs. Just how could it be possible. Daniel then understood what the General was feeling. If the dragon was here the additional Myr'drachs were not far away. It must have been hard for the General he thought. The mighty Rael army, thought to be unmatched in the world in terms of military prowess came to save Sederra from the annoying predations of a fledgling nation. But, in the last few weeks the mighty Rael army had more than met its match in the city and surrounds of Audiria.

Instead of a quick and glorious victory, thousands and thousands of Rael soldiers blood stained the desert sands of a foreign nation and it was not enough, a lot more would have to be spilled to save the nation. Daniel knew that if ever there was a time to call on the aid and strength of the Greatest Dragon known to man, now was the time.

Taking a deep breath he spoke, "General, I know and I understand how you feel at this moment and if you will indulge me for but a few moments I will say my peace and you can decide whether I am mad and dismiss me from my command or whether you are with me. I came to this conflict with a hardened heart towards Rael and its leader, I believed it was false and all his intentions were false and yet I was told to come and so I came. I did my duty. Now, in the last few weeks I have come to know many men and women who serve Rael, humans and deep dwarves alike and I have known many to have honour and strength in defying the enemy and serving this cause that I would never have believed.

I have come to understand that no matter which country we serve, no matter which god we follow, no matter which field of battle we stand on, we do it together, in like purpose and with a grim determination that will not allow our sense of the world to be altered or corrupted by the terror that is the Cult.

I am a servant of the Great Golden Dragon, you know this, and I stand beside you in the same sand, shedding the same blood for the same people no matter who they are. Why do I do this? Because I believe! I believe in a better future and I believe the Cult cannot win this war. I believe that Rofirein stands with me every time I go into battle, that he protects me and gives me the wisdom and strength to lead my men and women into the blackest pit for what we believe is right.

The Cult represents chaos, the Cult represents all that we oppose, no matter our own personal beliefs, that very fact is more important than everything else. Now my question for you general is...Can you live in a world full of chaos?"

General Orvaar stared at Daniel for several moments chewing on a thin piece of hickory. Eventually he raised a thick finger and pointed it at Daniel. "I was wrong, I can still be suprised by humans. You just taught me a lesson Captain. That is rare in my world. Alright." He lowered his hand and looked down at the city maps in front of him showing defensive lines, enemy forces, supply dumps, reserve forces and a variety of other important military positions including the last two remaining seige engines.

"We have to hold out for at least 24 to 36 hours before more relief forces arrive from Sloven. The enemy Myr'drachs will soon arrive and deploy to the battlefield. I am execting them to hit the northern forces hte hardest. No offense Captain but in their minds it is the weakest forces in the battle. The remaining Succession forces are tired and worn out and fighting under foreign leaders, it wont take much to rout them. The fact that that force has held together this long is a credit to you. Master Ashah has returned to the fallback positions west of Audira to collect his men. They've had a day and a half to rest, now its time to get them back into the battle, they will fight far harder for their homes than the Succession forces will. I'm giving them all to you Captain, them along with the fresh Anvil dwarves will give you some good defensive power. I dont want you to attack, no matter what the enemy does. Just hold them and don't give up any ground. I'm going to rotate half my men out of the eastern quadrant and give them a rest, they are exhausted and when the Myr'drachs cant penetrate the northern positions they are going to come and have a go at mine. I want my men ready for that and you're going to give them that opportunity. How many cavalry do you have left Captain?"

Daniel did a quick mental count, "Eighty odd light Boyer cavalry, roughly a hundred Toranite cavalry, over two hundred mixed Succession cavalry and 250 of the Rofireinites as well."

The General appears to do some quick calculations in his head. "Have some of your men clear a path to the seige engine in your region that still works. If you can do it without the enemy seeing all the better. I want a clear path as long as you can make it. Then I want all the leather you can find, wet it down and place it as a covering over streets around the seige engine and conceal it with sand and dust as best you can. These will provide cover from the dragons acid when it follows you."

"Pardon?" Daniels startled exclaimation just pops out.

The General grins, "if our gods are truly with us this will work. Captain. Tonight we are going to take down a dragon and your cavalry are going to be the bait."

Daniels stomach started to turn as the general began to outline his plans but he could see the need for it and the chance while slim, had to be taken or within a day or so they would truly lose the city to the Cult.

Within an hour of the meeting breaking up the Myr'drachs arrived, but, instead of entering the engagement immediately as the general has assumed, the mighty beasts, tired from their forced flight across the ocean chose to rest first. The reprieve welcomed by the defending forces, but by mid afternoon they committed themselves to the combat and everything went downhill from there.

The Dragon became the determining factor in the hours that followed, not only did it use an acidic spray but the allied forces discovered this dragon had powerful magics at its disposal. Mages and clerics in the allied forces were drawn from frontlines in order to form counter magic teams around the city.

As the General had predicted the northern lines were punished the hardest by the Cult forces. Desperate to make headway into the city the Cult threw almost everything they had at the mixed forces in the north. No matter what they did they could not hold against both the dragons attacks and the Cult forces and Daniel was forced to order the retreat twice. But while they lost ground the enemy paid dearly for every step they progressed. Thane Kobal and the Runic Anvil soldiers fought like men possessed, their axes and hammers hurting the Cult forces badly, so much so that within hours Cult drachs and soldiers were choosing to just let the Myr'drachs engage the battle hardy dwarves and focused on the other infantry in the front lines.

Just before dusk the northern forces had lost three more blocks and the eastern forces had lost the well they had reclaimed several days past as wella s four more blocks to the attackers aided by the dragons acid breath and magics.

Then, at the alloted time, by the Generals order the horns were sounded in the eastern allied lines. In the north Daniel heard the horns. Immediately he called out orders and every able man and women with a mount formed into long lines behind their defensive positions.

Seeing the allied cavalry preparing to charge the Cult in long lines the Cult commanders urgently signalled the Dragon, such a tempting target could not go by.  

The Dragon soared about high above the city, with its magical sight it could clearly see hundreds of allied cavalry in long lines on one of the main roads. it appeared as if they were about to mount a suicidal charge at the Cult lines. The dragon lined up for its attack run, by its mental count, with both magic and breath it could probbaly take out at least half of the cavalry before the rest scattered and ran for the numerous side streets.

The dragon roared loudly and began to descend. It picked its target, a man in blood plattered golden armour in the front ranks of the cavalry bearing a flag aloft. Ignorant of the flags meaning the dragon focused its energy and began to inhale.

Down on the street the Rofierinites, who had chosen to ride at the head of the column said their prayers as the dragon descended straight for them. Daniels flag remained aloft for what seemed an impossibly long time,the dragon drew closer and closer and the men could see its neck expanding as it drew breath. Then their Captains arm dropped and instead of driving forward all the riders wheeled their mounts around and ran away in the opposite direction. 350 Allied cavalry charged away from the Cult front lines taking the Cult commanders completely off guard and the Dragon too.

Anger rising the dragon beat its wings, propelling it forward even faster to catch the fleeing riders. Seeing so many in one location fleeing caused a dark haze to fill its mind as the corruption rose to overcome any sane thoughts the dragon had previously. Bloodlust filled its mind and it roared its fury at the world. In its state it barely noticed as riders started to disappear into side streets under carefully placed covers.

Soon only 50 rofireinite cavalry remained on the road, men and women who had volunteered to ride with Daniel to the end. And ride they did, flogging their mounts for all the speed they could muster. The dragon soon tore into the rear ranks, ripping and tearing, biting and using its tail to smash rider and horse alike into walls and blocks of broken stone. Slowly it worked its way up the line, the riders no longer pushing their mouns but giving them the lead as they terrified horses ran as fast as they could to evade the death dealing dragon teraing into them from behind. 10, 20, 30 riders fell, their broken bodies and mounts a blood strew path behind them.

And as the dragon prepared to descend upon the last few it reared up and prepared to dive.

There was a loud thunk, followed by a heavy whirring sound and a low buzzing noise. The dragon paused in the air almost directly in front of one of the last Raelite seige engines, is fury hazed mind barely comprehending the heavy bolts that had pierced its chest and wing. it tried to breath in and destroy the remaining riders and the seige engine before it but its breath wouldnt come. It gazed about as from side streets dwarves poured forth, dwarves with long polearms and thick chains led by a powerful looking one.

Kobal yelled loudly at his men who ran to obey his orders, precision focused they ran the lines, hooking the chains and pounding thich metal nails into the hard ground with heavy hammers. The remaining Rofireinite riders calmed their sweat soaked mounts, their horses mouths were all frothing around their bits from their ride, their sides heaving.

The dwarves led by Kobal worked like a smooth team, each one knew exactly his purpose and they knew it well and in the end Kobal stood over the dragon and raised a large axe aloft. It descended once, twice and the dragon saw no more.

Stunned Cult forces watched in horror as the ruse took from them their trump card. The attack faltered and slowed. Cult commanders recalling their troops back to build new lines at the front of the extra territory they had managed to take in the afternoon.

And in Audira, as darkness claimed the city once again the allied soldiers dared to hope they might be able to last until the reinforcements arrived.

And by midnight word arrived that the adventurers that had journeyed south and defeated one of the first dragons, had emerged again and had routed the enemy force that was building near the Keshtan Oasis.

In pockets around the city that night Synod soldiers dared to sing songs of hope and pride in their homeland in the darkness and comfort of small fires.

Dezza

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:30:09 pm »
Perhaps it was ill inspired or desperate thinking but the next day revealed a rude shock for the allied defenders of Audiria.

Within hours of midday the Cult drove forward once again, perhaps it was the sense that they now felt they were losing control of the situation and decided to throw everything they had left into gaining some sort of control or perhaps it was the fact that during the night four powerful Drach Ori arrived in Audiria with instructions for the remaining Cult leaders of the army. Words akin to fight and win immediately, or die trying.

Whichever was the motivation, by midday the next day after the newest dragons death the battle for Audiria was fully engaged and the additional powers of the four Drach ori gave the enemy some advantage as the allied casters were exhausted and barely able to mount any sort of resistance.

By midafternoon Kobals Anvil troops were desperately holding sections of streets for Synod, Succession and mixed Faith soldiers to withdraw to defensive barricades established deeper in the city. The dwarves skill in battle and Kobals strength the only thing holding back the Cult forces at times. Captain Daniel was kept busy coordinating retreat plans to try and prevent the withdrawel from becoming a rout. Already the enemy had overrun the last remaining seige engine in the northern part of the city and captured two important wells. If they lost anymore ground they would lost the third well which they needed to keep their troops watered in the hot desert city. Things were getting desperate.

To the east of the city things were not much better. General Orvaars forces faced the bulk of the remaining Cult Myr'drachs and steadlity lost ground over the day. Losing yet again the wells they had recaptured and the last remaining seige engine. Only by committing every single reserve soldier he had could the General stem the advancing tide. By late afternoon he got the reports that the northern forces had been forced to dig in near the centre of the city out to the western gate. If they lost the western gate they would not be able to withdraw and would be trapped within the city.

Cursing their situation and the power of the Cults Myr'drachs the General wondered how by Sulterio's name did it come down to this. The Might of the Rael empire, regarded by many as having the best soldiers in the world was being defeated by the Cults Myr'drachs. One on hand the General was bitterly disappointed in the situation, on the other he coulnd't help but admire the Myr'drachs as the perfect beasts for war. Fast, mobile, powerful and deadly. In the last week he'd seen single Myr'drachs tear apart entire squads of a score of hardy Raelite troops before even being injured. How the other nations forces had stood against them he could'nt tell. He knew that Captain Daniel leading the northern forces had told similar stories about the Succesion and Synod soldiers, in many cases he'd lost far more soldiers to the Myr'drachs.  Unfortunately the bulk of the Myr'drachs were being used against the Raelites, which in a way gave him a sense of pride that the enemy regarding his soldiers as the greater threat. Still, that wouldn't help him when he had to return to Lord Rael and explain why he had lost so many soldiers to the enemy. He sighed, that was not going to be a pleasant meeting. He turned away from such thoughts, if he could live to see that day then he would face it with head held high for he had done all he could against a vastly powerful enemy and the deadly Myr'drachs.

A ball of flame detonated in the next street sending dust, fire and debris up it the air amidst the broken buildings. The General grabbed his axe from a nearby wall. Its haft and blade was covered in dry dried blood, dusted with sand and mud from the last few hours fighting. Looking around him he picked out a dozen deep dwarves he recognised, good men and women who had survived due the entire campaign so far with him. Forming a small group he ordered them forward with him in the centre.

They moved to the corner of the street and looked around. To the left Raelite soldiers were engaged in hand to hand fighting with a unit of Drachs to the right two Myr'drachs were fighting at least thirty Rael soldiers. beyond each group more and more battles were going on its entire length. Directly ahead a Myrdrach downed the last of a ten man squad and broke through the enemy lines directly at the General's group. The General reacted quickly ordering another unit of men to engage the creature and led his own group past the encounter and directly into the enemy lines eyes on one prize. Ahead not far from the enemy's front line he could see one of the Drach Ori surrounded by three of the big Myr'drachs.

Taking a moment to salute the men and women with him he pointed to the target. Pride filled him as he saw they knew it was a suicidal move but they would follow their general into death. Uttering the warcry of Rael they charged through the small gap.

At first the enemy didn't register that the dwarves were past their forward lines, in fact it wasnt until they got halfway across the debris strewn street between the front lines and the Drach Ori that they realised and by then it was too late. The dwarves threw themselves with every ounce of strength and fury they possessed at the Myr'drachs protecting the Drach Ori. The General only had eyes for the Ori, he barely registered a desperate slash from a nearby Myr'drach as he broke past them and raised his axe. IN the last seconds of casting a large enchantment the Drach Ori only just registered the axe coming at him. His eyes widened and the enchantment failed, words suddenly bubbled forth from his mouth in desperation to ward off the impending attack. He had raised very few defensive protections on himself that day believing the Myr'drachs to be more than enough protection to his person. The Generals axe drew closer the blade touching the Ori's neck and his spell detonated. Fire consumed the area, blanketing everyone in the entire street for some distance. Dwarves and Myrdrachs alike.

When the fire cleared the Ori's body lay nearby while his head lay further afield. Burnt and blackened dwarves moved and groaned standing as fast as they could. The Myrdrachs mostly untouched gathered their thoughts and re engaged the dwarves. Through bleary eyes the General looked around him as he got back to his feet, he'd lost all sense of pain, the sounds around him were blurry and indistinct. He barely recognised he still bore his axe, raising it his body shuddered and he looked down to see a Myr'drach sword emerge from his side and he looked up to see the creature before him. Anger blazed as all around him the dwarves he had led to their doom were cut down by the Myr'drachs one by one. He slashed upwards and across severing part of the beasts shoulder and then its neck, the powerful muscles in his arms and the blade that used to belong to his father before him aiding him to do so.

Realising the end was near the General allowed the bloodlust to consume him, without reason he drew the blade from his side out and proceeded to attack the nearest Myr'drach, his axe became a whirling force of death, striking left and right with abandon. He severed a leg, then a wing, then a clawed hand as they closed for him, striking out in every which way.

Across the street hundreds of Rael soldiers almost paused in their battles, they had seen the fiery detonation and now the enemy lines before them turned back on themselves to fight some attacker in their own lines.

Finally someone called out, "Its the General, the Generals in there!"

The resultant surge was fueled by a belief that the General had taken the enemy lines, hope and love for their general filled them, and as somtimes occurs in battles such as this it takes but one person to make a single act that can make a difference. In this case the Flagbearer of the Fourth Raelite heavy Infantry or the Trench breakers as they called themselves moved forward to get a better look. Believing a charge had been ordered those behind him followed and soon hundreds of Raelites were charging into the enemy lines to join their general.

An hour later they lines had fallen back and in a broken house several blocks back the General lay close to death on a hastily built pallet. Anxious commanders outside waiting for news of his condition.

Dezza

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:42:02 am »
Captain Daniel entered the dusty shelter which housed the General. Lord Rancion III who had summoned him was also on hand. Several medics fussed over the generals many bandages which showed blood soaking through them. The Generals left arm was gone, his beard and other facial hair mostly burned away, skin blackened and peeling in many areas and one leg was smashed completely. The fact that he was still alive struck Daniel first and foremost.

"General, why aren't you letting the healers I sent you help you?"

Lord Rancion quickly drew Daniel aside and whispered to him.

"He refuses their aid, he wont let anyone but a follower of Sulterio tend to him and we've no priests or preistesses left capable of healing such wounds. he will die without aid and we will lose this city."

"Surely he will take potions and restoratives? Is he a fool?" Daniel hissed back.

Lord Rancion let go of Daniels arm as he shrugged it free from his grip.

Daniel faced the General, "That was a brave if foolhardy thing you did today General, you succeeded in killing an Ori but at what cost to yourself and your own soldiers?"  Some of the others in the room balked at a human speaking so to their beloved General and at least two moved angrily to drag him outside but a coughed bark from the General ordered them back.

"I'll not take your healings and if Ive not one of my own Faith present to heal me then it is His wish that I come to him now." The General choked and coughed, bloody spittle forming on his lips.

"By the Dragon!" Daniel cursed to the air. "This battle hangs in the balance, your army needs you General, your obligation is not done here."

The General angrily spat back "You know nothing of my obligations here Captain. The call of My god is greater than my care for yours." The General coughed and seemed to strain to say something else then passed out. Daniel glanced around at the angry looks towards him from inside the shelter.

"Oh for the Love of the Gold!" Daniel turned to Lord Rancion III. "Are you willing to see reason? We've lost this war unless we have him? His men will not follow you the same way they will follow him. This needs tobe doneand it needs to be done now!"

Lord Rancion III glanced between Daniel and the General several times before his shoulders sagged. "You're right." He turned to the others inside the shelter. "Leave us, NOW!" He barked the order out when it seemed they would not act to leave their general behind. Once they were all out he looked back at Daniel. "Do it."

Daniel moved forward swiftly and called on the strength of the Dragon to heal the General as best he could. Once done he wearily turned to Lord Rancion III. "He will sleep for a while, give him a few hours then wake him, tell the men he's recovered, tell them its a miracle and Sulterio has saved him. I really don't care. But get him back on his feet and get him out there in front of his men. There is a time for living and a time for dying and this is not the time for the latter. He must fulfill his duty as do we all."

Lord Rancion III nodded in agreement and as Daniel left he recalled the medics instructing them of the story to spread to the remaining commanders.

Dezza

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:36 pm »
Another building collapsed nearby. A huge Myr'drach clawing its way over the rubble into the very street that the remaining Boyer infantry were trying to retreat along. The Sergeant glanced upwards as the creature clasped a chunk of the wall from the mudbrick building it had scaled and casually threw it at a passing soldier crushing him instantly. The yells and screams around him of retreating soldiers created a clash of sound with the bellowing orders of desperate officers trying to prevent a rout from occurring. Another Myr'drach suddenly appeared over the building behind him, they were closing in and he still had over thirty men on the debris strewn street trying to reach the Ha'athnin Way defensive barricades where the Toranites were holding ground. He heard more screaming and looked back along the narrow street. Another myr'drach had leapt into it and engaged the fleeing men, there was no hope for them now. He turned to push and cajole the men ahead of him to run harder but his voice was cut off mid stream as a Myr'drachs barbed tail penetrated from his chest.  With roars of fury the surrounding Myr'drachs lept into the street taking victims at will.

A street away a young Order of the Longsword Toranite officer waited, the first elements of the retreating Boyer archers had reached the barricades, the rest had arrived in dribs and drabs reporting that Myr'drachs had fallen onto them along their escape route. The young officer called on Toran to give the rest of them a chance but soon enough they realised that it was too late. Myr'drachs closed on the street down which they had retreated and the man knew there was no hope that any were left. On the verge of utter exhaustion himself the young officer forced a tear from his eyes as he prayed desperately to Toran to find some way to help them against the ferocious tide of the enemy. There seemed to be no way to stop them. And now they advanced towards his position.

All morning they had lost street after street, corner after corner, defensive positions were overrun and men and women slaughtered trying to hold them. If they didn't find a way soon to hold the enemy and stop the retreats the soldiers would rout and the war would be lost.

Suddenly a horn sounded and the blood splattered figure of the Rofireinite Captain leading the forces arrived at the head of a column of fifty mixed cavalry. The Toranite felt a moment of hope. The horses were heaving and blood splattered, their sides coated in sweat. Their riders were much the same. As they slowed to a halt the horse's heads hung low, a clear sign to the Toranite of how tired they were. The Captain raised a hand in salute before he yelled across the area to the mixed forces gathered there.

"We've lost this area, the enemy are closing in through a number of the streets, fall back across the main plaza, the Anvil dwarves will hold the way open for you. Look for Thane Kobal for your new positions."

With that he tapped the flanks of his tired horse and it reluctantly moved forward. As the clattering of the horses hooves faded the Toranite turned to all those with him.

"You heard the man, lets fall back, and let's do it orderly." Then to himself, 'and may Toran cover our backsides as we do it.'

Meanwhile on the eastern front of the battle the Realites were hard pressed, the enemy had launched every reserved Myr'drach they had when news of the General's fall had reached them. Realites had died in their hundreds as they steadily lost ground but the battles had been ferocious and the enemy had taken losses too. Even though the Raelite army was made up of mixed races, some from the surface and many from the Deep, the Raelite Deep dwarf soldiers were no easy pushover for the Myr'drachs, as powerful as they were, and it was the Raelite elite heavy Infantry units that were almost entirely made up of deep dwarves that bore the main brunt of the assaults. Every step of the way they put their bodies and lives on the line, refusing to give an inch without exacting a heavy penalty for doing so. Even so, by midday they had lost all the wells and the last remaining siege engine collapsed in a ball of dust and flame.

However, soon, word started to filter through the Raelite positions that the General still lived and would soon return to the battlefield. Lord Rancion III did what he could to bolster their flagging spirits, to encourage them to hold their ground but without the General on the field things were not going well for the allied forces. Then, in the midst of it all Lord Rancion was called away to the southern gate. It seemed that the adventurers that had travelled south had defeated the Cult forces at the Oasis and had forced march back to Audiria to help as they could. Relieved for their offer but fearful of what the General would say about them being there Lord Rancion dispatched them quickly to support Captain Daniel and Thane Kobal.

Eagerly the large group of adventurers made their way through the city streets appalled and dismayed at the destruction wrought on the city. It would take years before it would return to any sense of normality, even if they somehow won the battle. Their main problem was that the Cult forces had almost cut both allied armies in half and had taken over the entire northern part of the city all the way to the main plaza in the city centre.

Wren, Lili, Ferrit, and Viper ghosted along the almost deserted streets as best they could. In this region many freshly dead Boyer archers lined the street leading to the main plaza. Viper signalled to Lili as she took cover in some debris on the plaza edge. Lili moved forward to hide under a broken merchants cart while Ferrit held on the street corner. Wren moved to one of the smashed merchant stands further into the plaze cleverly hiding amidst the debris. Signals passed back and forth and eventually Ferrit turned and raced back down the street to where the Adventurers were waiting for word of what lay ahead. Quiet now and careful since they were technically in enemy held territory they advanced carefully led by Ferrit.

They reached a position near the end of the street and Ferrit passed on information about enemy numbers from Wren, Lili and Viper in position in the plaza itself. Steel in particular paying close attention to the types of forces arrayed before them.

Some were pleased to hear that it was predominantly Drachs and common soldiers ahead they would be facing and within moments the magic began to flow. Several minutes later they were ready. Argali moved to the front of the street ready to charge into the plaza and quickly the others formed up behind her with Steel, Kromlek, Vrebel, Argos, Gunder and Grendola vying for a position to strike from.

Tentatively they entered the edge of the plaza where Wren, Viper and Lili rejoined them. It appeared the enemy was occupied with the allied defensive positions on the other side of the plaza and at first didn't recognise the threat behind them. When they finally did, it was almost too late. The adventurers fell on them tearing into their ranks with almost wild abandon.

Tralek, Razeriem, Gel'larian, Pallena, Iellwen and even Gunder called forth the powers of the Al'noth ripping into the ranks of the enemy with devastating magics. Such a powerful display of magics culminating on one mighty conflict.

Then from high above came a loud screeching sound and the Bird Lord Plenarius descended calling down his own form of magic on the abominations below. And above all the sounds of battle a strong clear note rose inspiring the adventurers to feats of greatness and instilling fear into the hearts of the enemy as Andrew Reid, Bard extraordinaire lent the adventurers the power of his voice.

The combination of powers overcame the sheer brute strength of the Cult forces and within the hour the entire plaza had been cleared of enemy forces leaving the way clear for the adventurers to join the allied lines on the other side. As they did so, exhausted soldiers rose on unsteady feet to cheer them as they confidently left the field of battle behind them. Quickly Runic Anvil dwarves led the adventurers through streets filled with debris and clustered with pockets of weary, dust, sweat and blood covered soldiers. Piles of dead were stacked up high in places and the wounded never seemed to end.

Soon they were brought to Thane Kobal's hastily arranged command post where they were welcomed warmly and eagerly. Here Kobal informed them of the days losses in terms of ground and soldiers and the sorry state of the war in Audiria. He also fleshed out the details of a plan that he and Daniel had discussed earlier. A daring plan that if successful could turn the tide of the war immeasurably. A plan that had no hope to be carried out without the right people.

Desperate plans being their speciality, the adventurers readily agreed to help. Soon messengers were racing to all areas of the remaining allied forces for the northern conflict in the city. Captain Daniel would hold the western gate to the city in case it failed and everyone had to retreat from the city. Thane Kobal would go with the adventurers on the mission and the mercenary Steel along with Wren and Pallena would lead the forces that would create a diversion for the adventurers to slip back past the enemy lines. Since the diversion was considered to be where the most danger lay for the allied forces Steel of course agreed to that. Since suicidal charges were his own type of speciality.

At the allotted hour Steel did as he said he would and led the forces back into the plaza where the enemy had begun to gather and under cover of the ensuing battle Viper, Ferrit and Lili once again led the adventurers on safer paths until they reached a suitable entry to the sewers that had not been collapsed or filled with sand by the enemy.

Descending into the dank darkness the adventurers began the task of moving through the muck, collapsed tunnels and fetid pools towards the northern gate. The going was slow and frustrating, many tunnels were collapsed and others had been filled with sand by the enemy as they overran those positions to prevent anyone doing exactly what the adventurers were busy doing. Not to mention there were a few unpleasant denizens of the sewers who lived off the refuse and filth of the world above.

Eventually, many hours later, tired, smelly and covered in filth the adventurers reached a grate across the road from the main northern gate and the camp of most of the remaining Cult leaders. After waiting for a time for guards to pass by above Argali pushed the grate aside and crawled out into the street. As swiftly as possible the others followed stepping out into the dark street. Wards and magics blazing it was only moments before guards spotted them emerging from the sewers and signalled the alarm.

Everyone blazed into motion, the warriors closing on the nearest guards while those with magic launched it at the enemy camp across the road. Stunned by the surprise and ferocity of the attack it took some moments before the enemy forces could react and when they did it was frightening.

The enemy Drach Ori launched his own blistering tirade of magical forces into the adventures scattering them across the area. Tralek and Razeriem retaliated with magic's of their own followed by Gel'larian, Iellwen and Plenarius. The magical conflict lighting up the night sky for miles in every direction and creating a haze of smoke over the northern part of the city filled with powerful explosions and crackling magical forces.

Vrebel and Kromlek were the first to engage the enemy general, the man a whirling dervish in the heat of battle. Despite his strength the General cut down Kromlek and focused his attacks on Vrebel. As the two slashed blades others spread out to engage the various cult forces that flooded into the area.

Andrew sung his heart out as if by power of his voice alone he could bring victory to his companions. Lili, Ferrit and Viper dashed in and out of the enemy leaving deep cuts and lacerations behind while the others went toe to toe with the enemy.

Soon the tide of battle began to go the way of the enemy; Kromlek was down, then Grendola, taken by a Myr'drach while facing off against three drachs by herself. Then Argos fell to the blades of a deadly Drach tesak.

However the tide changed again as Argali and Kobal broke away from the forces facing them and converged on the Drach Ori, their heavy blows penetrating his magic's and breaking his body. With him defeated they returned to the fray to aid others battling with difficulty against the pure brute strength of the enemy.

Tralek came to Vrebel's aid against the enemy General. Vrebel, despite his strength and skill was having a tough time defending himself against the Generals speed and adeptness.And as the enemy fell around him other adventurers entered the fray as well. Razeriem, having exhausted his magic's leapt gracefully to Vrebels side, his quick rapier dextrously deflecting the general's attacks allowing Vrebel's huge blade to punch through the Generals defences.

It wasn't long before the adventurers then began to get the upper hand. Although next Gunder fell under the claws of a Myr'drach and others were close to death on several occasions, only their last minute life saving potions restoring them enough to continue the fight. And suddenly the field of battle was empty of the enemy. The General being the last one to succumb to the adventurers desperate scheme.

Surveying the battlefield before them the adventurers quickly restored the dead or dying amongst their party and knowing soon the enemy would be flooding the area they dropped once more into the sewers making their way as fast as they could back to their own lines.

Hours later Steel, Wren and Pallena were roused by a Succession soldier, and stumbling from their ragged shelters they greeted the adventurers and shared in their tale of victory. Soon, despite weariness plans were afoot for a morning advance. Word was sent to Daniel to bring everyone he could to the front lines. They would break the enemy or die trying.

The next morning dawned crisp and clear, the sun blazed overhead and the temperature rose quickly. Men and women sweated in their armour, every available soldier was in every street that led into the plaza area ready for the signal to advance. Perhaps, having sensed the sudden change to the battleground the Cult forces had brought many of their forces to bear in the main plaza.

Adventurers were distributed to each allied group ready to aid or lead as necessary. Then Daniels horn sounded and high above in the sky a dozen shapes appeared, huge winged eagles descended from above led by the Bird Lord himself. They swooped in towards the enemy and dropped large boulders onto the enemy lines. The allied soldiers cheered wildly in a release of emotion after weeks and weeks of suffering at the hands of the enemy finally seeing the enemy getting a dose of their own medicine back. Several Myr'drachs lifted off from the ground to attack the eagles but descended once again when the eagles swiftly ascended out of range.

Then the dwarves of the Runic Anvil poured out of the main street with a loud chanting and war priests of Vorax called forth thunderous magic's. At the same time Boyer archers fired from rooftops into the wings of the enemy force and with the clattering of hundreds of hooves from each side of the plaza all of the remaining cavalry charged into the assembled enemy.

Another signal sounded and the remaining soldiers poured forth with renewed vigour to engage the enemy. The battle to retake Audiria had begun.

Over the next few hours the allied forces pushed the enemy back through street after street, the combination of the adventurers powers coupled with the lack of clear direction for the enemy forces without their leaders proving too much for the Cult forces. Street after street was retaken; the fighting slowly spread out across a wide front and degenerated by midafternoon into groups of allied soldiers led by adventurers hunting out pockets of enemy resistance and by evening the allied forces once again stood before the northern gates to the city. What had taken weeks to lose had taken but a day to reclaim. Soon Cult soldiers began to surrender to the allied forces. Leaving just the more disciplined Drachs and few remaining Myrdrachs to be dealt with, and they fought to the bitter end.

By midnight the remaining allied forces had recaptured all of the lost territory and were setting up camps for the soldiers that had surrendered.

It was about this time a scout arrived at Daniels command with a message that the Realite General was asking for reinforcements in order to reclaim his region. Daniel passed it onto Kobal who led those adventures willing, back through the city to join the Raelite forces.

Over the next few days Audiria would be once again secured, over three hundred Kuhl soldiers taken as prisoners and the last remaining drachs and Myr'drachs in the city hunted down and killed.

The battle for Audiria and hence Sederra was all but over. And as the people involved began to count the cost in terms of the loss of lives and the damage done to the city, attention turned to the conflict only just beginning on the borders of Nesar.