The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Lessons in Healing  (Read 369 times)

Anamnesis

Lessons in Healing
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:56:19 am »
From the Silver Buckle came the scents of freshly baked loafs of bread fired in the oven and tended to lovingly by Elohanna, to make sure that each was ready for the customers, that would filter in throughout the day. She knew that it would eventually call to the city and signal that the Inn was beginning to come to life again.

After she pulled the last loaf from the oven and set it to cool on the wooden cutting board, she took a moment to make a walk through of the clinic admiring again the loving care and attention to detail that Heloise had put into each bay. The flowers that brightened the room drew her closer as she sniffed at them and she sighed with contentment. She was truly doing what she was called to do at this moment, and that was bringing a place of comfort to those who needed it most in a trying time for all and she had Heloise and Andrew as well as Michael and so many others to thank for their aid in making the dream come true.

She did an inventory of potions, bandages, and blankets. Checked over each book and made sure they were in their proper place, and ran her gloved finger over the shelves to make sure not a speck of dust shown. She allowed herself to be truly happy for the first time in a long time.

"Heloise?" She began to call as she moved out of the clinic and into the Inn, looking for her friend. "Heloise, Sweetheart?"
Elohanna Min A'Litae, Priestess of Aeridin
Breanna Shadowraven, Wizard/Rogue of Folian S'pae
Cord, Bard of Ilsare
Melaa A'nadivian, Ranger of Folian S'pae

The following users thanked this post: RollinsCat

RollinsCat

Re: Lessons in Healing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:45:19 pm »
"Just a moment!"  Heloise's voice was a sing-song from the bar.  There weren't many customers out there; only vetted regulars were allowed in, and those known to the proprietors.  It didn't take a minute for the girl to meet Elohanna by the wood-cut screen door by the clinic, eyes bright.  She hadn't stopped beaming since she found out Elly had arrived the night before.  "Yes, Miss Elly?"

Anamnesis

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:38:25 pm »
Elly couldn't help to smile and wrapped her arms around Heloise in a tight hug, thrilled for her enthusiasm and such infectious smile. She held on for a long moment before letting go and then stepped back to look her in the eyes.

"Heloise, I just can't get over the clinic and all the work you have put into it. I wonder if you might continue to tend the bar, and take lessons in your spare time, or perhaps work with me on a more full time basis?"
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »
"Are you back?  I mean, back back, not just back...I mean, are you staying?  I'd love to work in the clinic but I thought Mister Andrew said we were only sort of open, and that the clinic wouldn't open until we were open open, but if you want to teach me...!"

Anamnesis

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:48:25 pm »
"I know we are not entirely open yet, and I will still be coming and going as I am needed elsewhere but I am here for a few days and I do want to take advantage of the time we have together to teach you all I can, in case situation arises. Unless you want to wait? I leave the choice to you Dear." She looked hopefull at Heloise but also understandingly too.
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »
No hesitation.  "I want to learn now.  But we don't have any patients?"

Anamnesis

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »
"My Dear Sweet Heloise, We don't need to have any patients to learn." She offered reassuringly. "If you are finished why don't you come with me and I can show you?"
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:26:31 am »
Heloise nods eagerly and heads into the clinic behind Elly.  She watches the elven lady for a moment, having not had time to "introduce" her to the clinic herself and then in a rush of words she starts walking around, touching, explaining.

"I only put five beds in but we have room for more. I put in a podium here, Mister Andrew had one for you to use for classroom work, and I thought if we're not doing classes we can write down names of our patients and stuff and - oh, and I picked out the blue and white dividers, they didn't have any gold and white or I'd have gotten them instead!  And the couch and table seemed like a good idea if someone needed to wait for someone else, but if you want to move it I understand.  Do you need more than two cabinets?  They're awfully large and hold a lot, and I felt sorry for Mister Andrew because I had to have him do all the moving, well, except for the big bookshelf, Eddie had to do that with Michael.  Poor Mister Andrew kept singing to himself the whole time and he said it was for strength but I don't know if it was working because he had to really strain to get the cabinets in place so I didn't ask him to move the big bookshelf.  I just had them sneak in and put it up when he wasn't here.  Oh and I picked out the picture!  It's just as nice as Aeridin, don't you think?  All warm and gold-y.  Mister Andrew got you the aloe plant.  I don't remember what we put in here, I know there are bandages..."  The room feels a little smaller with all the words in the air, but Heloise ceases her excited monologue for a moment to bounce to one of the two large cabinets near Elly's private clinic door, opening it and ruffling around the shelves.

Anamnesis

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 11:22:24 am »
Elohanna smiled as she listened to the enthusiasm and introduction to the Clinic, from the point of view of Heloise as she pointed out each corner. She could clearly see her excitement and how much care she had put into each detail of the room and simply adored her and the clinic already. "I Think two cabinets is fine for now, and we can always adapt as we go along Heloise. Do not worry one bit! You are right they are awfully large and soon we will find books and supplies to fill each one. I would not dream of going shopping for more supplies without you my dear sweet friend."

She gently took Heloise by the hands and tried to slow her down just a moment to catch up with her. "We can add some more blankets, more bandages, a few potions too. A journal for you to keep all the notes from your lessons. And Heloise," She pauses for a moment as she tries to get her eyes to focus back to her own. "I love blue and white. It is as if the beautiful unending skies and whispy clouds coming together. I am blessed to have you here willing to work with me. My Healing Light shines through you infectiously Child! I could ask for no more than and would not dare!" A gentle warmth seems to flow from her to Heloise as she speaks a blessing upon her. "May My Healing Light always shine so bright in you that the darkness never touches you Heloise."
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 03:31:05 pm »
"Need a victim?"  Paddy leaned in the doorframe, thin arms folded around his chest.  He brushed some chestnut-colored hair, longer than he usually wore it, from over one brown eye and gave Heloise a smile.  "I can be a good victim.  I'll let you wrap me up.  Um, if you want."  Hesitating, as if he'd accidentally flashed his cards.  From the gaming room came Edward's baritone.

"I'll kick him in the shins a few times for you Helly to help you learn!"  Paddy looked over his shoulder with a half-grin, moving inside the clinic and shutting the doors on the bouncer's loud voice.  Heloise gave her childhood friend a megawatt smile and turned to Elohanna.

"Can Paddy help us, Miss Elly?  What do you want us to do?"

Anamnesis

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 03:58:58 pm »
She shook her head as she remembered what it was like learning when she was younger, and how mischievous Omer and Melanna were and always were willing to aid her in her quest to become a better scribe or to just get in trouble, which was more often the case.

"You are welcome to help so long as you don't mind being wrapped up for a while Paddy. We could use your help!" She offered with a smile.
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 04:52:43 pm »
Heloise headed to the cabinet and began to load herself with items; bandage wraps, wood for splints, a pair of scissors, needle, thread, and lye soap.  Paddy gave the ever-increasing stack in her arms a wary eye but laid himself out on a cot anyway.  When the girl waddled over and dropped the load of healing supplies on his stomach, he locked eyes with her with a goofy grin, one Elly had never seen before.  "It's my leg, doc.  Some big ugly brute in the bar kicked me in the shins..."  Helly giggled and looked at Elohanna.

"So...what do I do?"

Anamnesis

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »
"Well first we want to see how bad the injury is. If its just a sprain or a break because we will want to tend to each one differently. Tell me how do you think you can find out?" She wanted to see what Heloise may already know before they began.
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »
"You...would...um..."  She poked at Paddy's leg, then blushed and wrapped her hands around his slender calf, feeling up from ankle to knee.  "You'd feel for a break?  If it was broken, you'd feel the bone poking out?"  As her fingers probed the back of his knee he let out a sudden strangled laugh and tried to jerk his leg away.  That was all Heloise needed; Elohanna forgotten, she attacked Paddy's weak spot with a gleeful laugh and the bandages, scissors and other healing items fell off his heaving stomach as he tried to flip away from her.  "I KNEW IT!"

"Gahaahaaaads...st-stopppp....-"  He finally slithered off the cot and away from her fingers, laughing as he hit the smooth wood floor.

Anamnesis

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 08:00:30 am »
Elohanna just watched in amusement as they laughed, taking in the sounds of happiness that she missed so much. Everything had been so serious of late, as it should be but it almost seemed that with all the tension, happiness had been forgotten. It also gave her a chance to learn something new she had not realized before and that was that Heloise was growing up into a beautiful young lady and she might actually be falling for Paddy. She tried her best to stay out of their way and let them have fun, as she moved to try to pick up the supplies.
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:38:25 am »
Paddy tried to crawl under the cot and Heloise gave up the chase as Elohanna moved to clean up.  "I'm sorry Miss Elly. I - um, sorry."  The girl blushed and bent to help pick up the items while her victim in reality as well as name scuttled to the other side of the cot, chest still heaving.

"Truce, Helly!  Swear I never though you'd find it..."  

She flashed Paddy a triumphant smile and scooped up the scissors.
 "Truce."

He flopped back down on the cot.  Heloise caught his eyes a moment and went back to his calf.  "Um, so I'm not really sure?  I've seen broken bones before but you could see them, they were poking out of the skin."  Despite her still-flushed face from the tussle with Paddy, she spoke calmly on the grisly subject.  "Once it wasn't much, just a little bit, and once you could see the skinny one almost halfway; Mother told me that there are two, a fat bone and a skinny bone.  But how would you know if you couldn't see it?"  Hands still around the meaty part of Paddy's calf, she looked to Elohanna with head tilted.

Anamnesis

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 07:27:17 pm »
Elly smiled at them simply adoring them in the moment and then turned her thoughts back to the lesson at hand.

"Well there are other signs other than the obvious you should look for Heloise. Some that help, if they think it is broken, and they are conscious you may ask if they heard a snap? You may also check for swelling. If they are in a great deal of pain and unable to walk on the injury it could also be a sign. If the bones may have been bent back outside of their normal positions they may look strange. These are all signs of possible broken bones."

She smiled and nodded encouragingly toward Paddy for her to ask questions to her patient.
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 10:58:01 am »
"Okay."  Heloise turned back to Paddy, fingers tracing lightly on his calf.  She started to speak, laughed, tried again and giggled before she could get the words out.  "Did you hear a snap when he kicked you?"  Paddy lay still, eyes on her fingers, and shook his head.  "Does it hurt a lot?"  The goofy grin returned and he shook his head again.  "Can you walk on it?"  Head shake.  "Okay, I'm going to um - check for swelling."  His blush was wine deep and so was hers.  Her probing wasn't entirely novice; she tested him from ankle up again, squeezing, and asking him if it hurt here, or here.  He seemed afraid to move, almost afraid to breathe, as if any twitch would cease her touch.  Poking around his kneecap got a quick yelp followed by a harsh exhalation.  "Does it hurt there?"

"Yeah - it does.  I mean, it really does, I'm not pretending."  He frowned.

"Paddy, what did you do?"  She looked back at Elohanna and started poking again; his facial contortions marked a thin line of pain from the left side of his knee around to the side.

"Wasn't anything Helly, honest."

"What wasn't anything?"  He got quiet.  "Patrick Ennis Nyle Fagan!"  He winced at that with a pleading look.  "What did you do?"

"Just had a tiff with someone was all.  I didn't get kicked though, it was more wrestling like...was days ago, it only felt a little numb before, why does it hurt now?  I didn't even feel it until you poked!"  Her mouth opened and her eyes opened wider.  "Wait, no, I'm not mad, I like - I mean, I don't mind the poking, I just didn't know I was hurt, you can poke me, it's okay..."

She gave him a little smile as her face settled, then, hand still on his knee, looked to her teacher.  "So it hurts him here...what is it?  Can we make him better?"

Anamnesis

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 06:01:21 pm »
Elohanna listened as Heloise asked the questions, and pay close attention to where her hands settled that caused him the most discomfort.

"Sometimes my young friend, pain does not always show itself especially in the heat of the moment, excited energies within can mask them for days and sometimes longer until the right pressure is placed upon the injury again."

Elohanna moved around to the end of the bed and motioned Heloise to come with her.

"We are going to attempt a few tests of your knee Paddy, don't be afraid to let us know what hurts. Alright? We need to understand how serious the injury is and where exactly it is."

She smiled reassuringly to Heloise to comfort her as well.

"I promise we will do all we can to help Paddy, My Healing Light and you and I."
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

RollinsCat

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 12:14:31 pm »
He shifted on the cot with a quick nod and slid his left leg up.  Helly followed Elohanna, tugging the askew hem of Paddy's pants up over the knee.  She blinked at the dark hair on his calf, giving him a little grin; he merely shrugged but a flush crept across his jawline.

"It was here..."  She put a finger on a spot to the left of his kneecap and he winced again.  She felt around the side and down and probed gently.  "It feels it might be swollen here, in the middle?"

anything