The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A question about crafting a staff...  (Read 288 times)

diagnull

• View Profile
    A question about crafting a staff...
    « on: December 12, 2007, 11:33:03 pm »
    (Again with the questions?)

I've decided that my druid wants to fashion her own Oak Staff for RP reasons(which I think are like +1 or something, right) but I confess I'm a little confused about how to go about it.

I know I need a crafting badge (well, first I need money, but...) And I need some oak (don't know where, but maybe I'll run across some.) Then I make sandpaper and oak shaft or something and try until I succeed.

But since I've never crafted anything, it looks like I need to build up to it...that's what I'm confused about. How do I get started? I guess I could practice making shafts? Or sandpaper and stuff?

Is that how I build my crafting up to the point that I can craft a staff?

Thanks for any info!

-D

Pibemanden

Re: A question about crafting a staff...
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:44:28 pm »
    You should start with an easier starting point and work your way up, in the case of woodcrafting you work from hickory(+0 base)->oak(+1 base)->mahogany(+2 base)->yew(+3 base). No one is able to make something truely great without having practiced before at something lesser and you gain xp, both adventuring and inside the craft whem you make an item, depending on how hard the said item is to make. When you have made enough items to get xp to raise a level in crafting all your crafting chances increase 10%, some things are impossible to have a chance to craft before you reach a certain level in this craft this depends on your stats as they can raise your chances in certains crafts, like being intelligent and wise makes it easier to make alchemy and such.... In woodcratings case it depends on dex and str...

scifibarbie

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:46:10 pm »
    Im sure you can find someone to help your PC in game. But you are on the right track with your post.

Worse come to worse, you can approach a certain pink haired ranger who likes to wander the woods.  :D

She is learning the craft herself and would be more than happy to help.

OldBear

• The Angels Guild
      • Followers of Aeridin
      • Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:49:11 am »
    That or you could look for the one who started teachin her, her uncle Dalan.  Dalan be a red haired dwarf often found around Port Hemp's craftng hall or in the Scamp.

diagnull

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:51:24 am »
      Thanks everyone. I'll guess I'll start working my way up. First though...gotta get some dough for the crafting badge.

:)

Skywatcher

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:58:34 am »
      This link is to a thread that talks about how to start crafting in a bunch of crafts.  It leaves out  the need for the crafting badge but that's easy to get.

http://forums.layonara.com/cnr-suggestions-discussion/94025-basic-beginners-guide-crafting.html

ycleption

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:43:09 pm »
      Also remember that as a druid you cannot chop down trees (although sometimes using a spell on a tree will have the same effect as chopping, this is an exploit and should not be done). You will have to build a fire near a tree, then click on it and select "forage for wood." It will roll based on search and spot, neither of which are class skills for druids, so some equipment will really help you. Jaguar armor provides bonuses to both, and there are some gloves and other equipment that you can find or buy.
      LORE: Foraging

As an alternative, there are a couple of druid appropriate +1 staffs that can be found on drops... for many druids, it would be very RP appropriate to find a stick lying around and use it.

diagnull

• View Profile
        « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:56:57 pm »
        Poop. I didn't think about it that way. I was thinking with my RP side.

I had decide that my druid felt that a store-bought staff (or a drop) was too impersonal...she had no idea of it's history and no connection to it. Instead she would craft her own staff, which would let her better combat evil and also let her appreciate the gift from nature.

I've already had some minor anxiety over having to fight off insane skunks, deer, and birds. My rational there was that I was forced to defend myself, but would honor the slain animal by making the best use of the resources I got (meat, skin, feathers, etc) that way nothing went to waste.

But now I'm wondering if it's possible to RP a Druid and craft items...

A conundrum...

ycleption

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 02:05:38 pm »
        I don't think it's impossible, or poor roleplay... just think whether it would be possible to do using druid appropriate tools, in a druid appropriate ways. Metal craft is probably out, but your druid has to get clothes and weapons somehow, right? I don't know what your druid is like, but we have a druid (currently on extended break) who is a druid of the hunt, and killed quite a few animals for tailoring. Some druids dislike that kind of activity.
        The foraging system allows you to do woodcraft without chopping down trees, RPwise you are walking around finding fallen or dead branches.
        So.. I don't think it's as much a conundrum as it seems

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 02:06:18 pm »
        It is possible, however... It takes some interesting RP ideas. Firstoff, most Druids would be loathe to chop down a tree. Now, I can see trimming dead branches, sure, but that doesn't give you much in the way of wood, and I'd say maybe two branches from each tree, rather than chopping off all the wood...

Metalcrafts are out of the question. Tinkering's out, too.

Cooking? Why not? Food. Mmm.

diagnull

• View Profile
          « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 02:21:17 pm »
          The problem with foraging is you can only do it once every 9 hours real time. So, once a day basically...and i'd need item to boost spot and search even to get a chance of finding anything.

I'm not sure if wood chipping has a higher chance of succes, but I was under the impression I could just get a hatchet and chop various trees until I get some wood. Is there a time limit like with foraging?

Also, can you get wood from a tree using a sickle? Then I could RP trimming branches rather than chopping the whole thing down (maybe).

I guess I can at least do cooking, tailoring and leather crafting...

I'll have to think about the foraging thing though...

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 02:23:54 pm »
          Well, to chop down a tree, you just attack it with a woodcutter's axe. No time limit. Just wail away until the tree goes poof.

But I can't really see most Druids doing this. Most.

You can't get wood with a sickle.

Jaigan

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 02:27:35 pm »
          *starts chopping down tree's and leaving them there for druids to find.* :D
          joke joke ;)

ycleption

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 02:32:14 pm »
          Quote from: diagnull
          The problem with foraging is you can only do it once every 9 hours real time.

I've been meaning to post this as a bug, but either Lore is inaccurate on that point, or it is not implemented correctly; I know you can forage more often than that, and I suspect it is supposed to read 9 game hours.

(I'll post this as a bug if someone official like tells me whether it is a lore bug or a bug bug... asked on IRC once and got no answer, and then forgot about it)

scifibarbie

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 04:25:18 pm »
          I just discovered the forage for wood bit the other day. My poor ranger kept running out of axes and i never even new this existed.

Anyways, i was told its supposed to be about 1/2 hour real time before you can forage for wood again.

Im not sure if its right or not as I ve not ahd hte opportunityt to try it.

ycleption

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 04:28:34 pm »
          1/2 hour would be about 9 hours in-game (36 minutes)...

diagnull

• View Profile
            « Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 04:44:14 pm »
            Hmmm. OK, that would make foraging more viable. Does mean I'd have to change my plan though...(2d20 + Search + Spot vs DC 30) not I can do about the Search and Spot for a while...don't have money for Jaguar armor, and don't know where to find jaguar anyway.

New plan: Get craft badge. Learn to craft leather (so I can make jaguar armor someday) and forage for wood (so I can learn to make a staff someday.)

I guess I should follow nature's example and take my time...

:)

Thanks everyone!

Falonthas

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 05:01:16 pm »
            one of the drops mentioned has a very good druid bias into why they are used by many not to mention they can be shaped and grown back into a wild looking branch( in the crafthall mind you)
             and for instance khuren my main druid is one of extremes
            he hates hunters who hunt for sport and not use what they kill
            but he has friends who craft and they have shown him they use the entire beast and look for the older and sickly ones when they do hunt

now he makes his own bread and juices and fishes for his proteins when he is tired of red meat
            he can make his own clothing out of cloth mind you for right now, he is still getting his tanning down to make armors and imbue the spirits of the animals into them in his own way
            he makes his own arrows as well by foraging for wood and then making arrowheads out of metal ingots he has traded for

but this isnt changed metal just the pure ore in ingot form by his way of thinking
             no tampering so to speak

so you have food and drink
            tanning and wood craft
            and he also loves shiny stones that he runs across from time to time so he has some gemcutting ability as well

now the drawbacks for druids and noone mentioned it is that they cant wield an axe even if they wanted  so foraging wood is the more mysterious way of doing things plus the tree only gives what it would have if you chopped it down in the first place i was told long ago

some have said being a druid is hard, and sometimes it can feel that way
            but even in the extremes they are all part of the greater whole that binds layo together
            hunter druid, tender druid, vengeful druid, peaceful druid, farmer druid, all are kin in a sense and put the oak and the heirophant above anything else

course in khurens case right now he sits in jail for taking a life that some people gave alarm about
            so we shall see what the trial has to offer after his hibernation

dont give up being a druid cause the plus side will show you that they far outway the negs

diagnull

• View Profile
              « Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 05:07:57 pm »
              Oh, I don't plan to give up on my druid. I'm still working out her details. But I guess chopping down a tree to make a staff isn't very druid like...foraging it is then.

I'm still figuring out her personality and what kind of druid she is. She's not afraid to fight, and has killed some animals in self-defense, but right now she's into exploring (which can be pretty rough for a lvl4 druid).

I'm not sure where the drop is that everyone mentioned, but I guess I'll run across it sooner or later. I'm hoping to make my way up to the Hlint area next, but I've been having some trouble finding my way there.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 05:10:08 pm »
              It's not so much a "where." Rather, it's a "what." It's a random drop that I've seen drop off of everything from goblins to kobolds to skeletons.

anything