The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Cursing yourself while crafting  (Read 504 times)

Hellblazer

Cursing yourself while crafting
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:57:37 pm »
It's a question that came by me, and I couldn't see anything in the rules about it. Is it permissible to ask someone to curse your character before crafting?

It's a bit like being blindfolded while disassembling and assembling a rifle in training. So, just asking.

jrizz

Re: Cursing yourself while crafting
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:02:14 am »
If I recall, there is a rule against doing things to lower your stats in order to boost crafting XP.

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:05:08 am »
I don't remember seeing that, could this be confirm please.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:28:20 am »
Apply the "duck test".

If it looks/seems/sounds/smells like an exploit...

Perhaps it's enough to say we already mechanically disallow gaining crafting XP when under death effects.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:31:34 am »
The answer is "DON'T DO IT!"

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:42:31 am »
Quote from: Dorganath
Apply the "duck test".

If it looks/seems/sounds/smells like an exploit...

Perhaps it's enough to say we already mechanically disallow gaining crafting XP when under death effects.

humm I thought you only didn't gain adventuring xp while crafting in death status.. I must have read things wrong then.

But anyhow, I'm sure the person who asked me now knows. Thanks for the official answer Dorg.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 02:34:08 pm »
I'm quite certain there was a thread on being poisoned or drunk while crafting being an exploit... but as I cannot find it, you'll just have to take my word.

Carillon

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:42:26 pm »
I can! Here is at least one place it came up before.

In short: You can strip yourself of any buffs or buffing gear, essentially removing any advantages your character would have, but you cannot get yourself drunk, poisoned or cursed with the explicit intent of getting more XP from crafting by making it more difficult.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 06:41:37 pm »
Alright thanks Carillon. Might be good for future references to add that in the rules list. I'll then be able to point the persons to that place.

Carillon

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 10:19:01 pm »
Hi Hellblazer,

As per your suggestion, I have made a new task for our wonderful LORE team members, and hopefully they will soon have the rule clarified on LORE.

Regards,
~Carillon

jrizz

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 11:34:11 pm »
Now, if your PC was a drunken crafter that always drank while crafting then... who knows ;)

Carillon

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 11:43:10 pm »
As further clarification, you can RP that your character crafts while drunk if you wish, but you cannot do so mechanically. Also, if you are RPing this, please make sure to explain to anyone watching or listening to your RP in a simple OOC tell that it is not mechanically allowed and it is just RP, so that you do not unwittingly lead them to break a rule.

I think that will work, and will allow drunken tinkers to blow themselves up, drunken eamstresses to stab themselves, and drunken bakers to grab their pies out of the oven and announce triumphantly "It's a hat!" (and subsequently "Ahh! It burns!" when their hat rains scalding cherry goodness down their head), all without any rule breaking. ;)

jrizz

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 12:37:23 am »
@Carillion, Very very funny! "it's a hat!" too good.

Hellblazer

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 02:41:56 am »
hehehe, good one.

lonnarin

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 08:46:07 am »
We can still curse the craft table though?  It doesn't affect the crafting stats/xp, but it still feels good after 12 ones in a row.

anything