The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: My Journal Lies to Me  (Read 403 times)

Kirbiana

My Journal Lies to Me
« on: September 13, 2007, 08:30:15 am »
Okay, it's bad enough that my ditzy Aeridinite cleric can't ever remember where she parked her ox (in game or out). But now that her paladin boyfriend has finally hammered it into her to write the ox's location down in her journal every time she leaves it somewhere, she has twice been LIED TO by that annoying scrap of parchment. In both cases, her journal brazenly insisted that her ox was at a former location rather than the location she remembered writing just the night before. Any ideas why this is happening? Or does she just need to go smack some rogue (probably one named Kell) for pick-pocketing her journal and re-writing her ox's location to amuse himself?

Rowana

Re: My Journal Lies to Me
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:20:07 am »
Is it the ox that is appearing in a different location or the journal isn't saving correctly? Thanks.
~row

Kirbiana

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:00:20 am »
The ox is always where she's supposed to be.  But after keeping her location correct for a few days to a week, the journal will suddenly revert to a previously written entry.  These are just short phrases (eg, 'Ox in Hlint') and there is nothing else written on the page.  

Could it be due to changing servers?  I did visit Central last night for the first time in a while.

Rowana

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 12:43:27 pm »
Someone else might have better understanding of the way things go, but Server resets and crashes might have something to do with it and if the servers are restarted at different times it's possible one could override the other maybe? Better get a better answer from someone who understands these things *winks*

~row

LynnJuniper

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 12:52:56 pm »
My journal's stayed the same until I physically delete/add to it. The journal is saved client side not server side.

bytor

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 01:17:05 pm »
    Yeah, the journal is saved in your local vault as a textfile whose filename is same as your character name. And as far as I can tell, the content of the file is updated the moment you close journal window (at least with linux client). You could try changing journal and check if the file is updated accordingly. It sounds more like a permissions/file access problem than a server problem.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:58:46 pm »
    Couple of questions:

1) Do you play on more than one computer?  (journal will be independent on each one)

2) Did you recently restore your computer from an earlier version?

Weeblie

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:03:51 pm »
    I've noticed that sometimes, for no apparent reason (or perhaps NWN crashing?), the journal is wiped.

So... eh... I personally find it best to write notes on paper instead of in the journal.

Rowana

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 02:30:14 pm »
    Alrighty then there goes that theory! And yeah I agree with Weeblie on the paper thing!
    ~row

Kirbiana

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 05:02:48 pm »
    Dorax nailed it!  I do play on two different computers, and it was the little laptop that had the old location.  When I went back to the new Vista laptop, sure enough, my journal once again knew where my ox was.

:)

Thanks for clearing that up.  I hadn't realized it was saving client side.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 05:10:12 pm »
    silly head =oP

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 05:22:15 pm »
    I actually helped someone with a computer issue?! *quickly runs outside to see if there are any pigs flying around*