The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Merchanting questions and how to label chests?  (Read 521 times)

Riven

Merchanting questions and how to label chests?
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:33:38 pm »
Hello!
Its great to see Layonara still running strong, since Ii've been gone so long!

I may want to revive the Saddlebag Pawn Shop. I've a few questions about that.

Prices, it seems have dropped in the 2 years since I was here. Is there a standard price sheet now or is it still very subjective?

I'd like to try a different kind of pawn shop:

Would this be fine for the Layo Economy: someone could walk in and take an item. In exchange they would leave items worth double the value of the item they took; It would be a barter system. I'd have a general price list on the forums for standard items, and all non-standard items would be valued by the Pricing Lens.

2nd question - may I have a Generosity Box in my shop - take something and leave something - one person's junk is another person's treasure. It would be for cheap things, such as spell components found, or odds and ends, copper weaponry, and that sort of thing. is this fine with ye all?

And thirdly - regarding chests (the log of who takes and puts back in is great! kudos for that!):

I assume I can only label chests I own. So I dipped quill in ink and attempted to scribe a label onto a chest, so at a quick glance one can read the label. ~~Title "label" did not work. Can you tell me what will?

And is it true that if I put coin (or anyone puts coin) in a chest of mine, it is not fully secure and may disappear? I don't suppose we merchants could have a chest that True placed in it ends up in our bank vault?

ye have my thanks!
enjoy,
~Riven

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Merchanting questions and how to label chests?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »
To label a chest, just get a quill and ink from a vendor, and use it on the chest.  Then you can name it like you can name a letter.  (The Quill's have instructions in there descriptions).

And yes, don't trust the chests to keep your gold safe.  Small amounts may be safer, but the more you put in, the higher the risk.

cbnicholson

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:56 pm »
Riven,

You had it almost right. Its ~~title name. ;) You can label anything btw..that can be labeled whether you place it or not.   Ask Andrew and his secret stash of hooch at the Silver buckle.:p
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:16:06 pm »
You can label any piece of furniture. You can't use the quill to label items in your inventory, with the exception being [LORE]Weapon Titling[/LORE] and containers (like boxes).

Riven

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:27:12 am »
Thanks - that worked for labeling the chests!

I've edited my original post so the pawn shop would be based on the barter system (no True or coin sales, however the pawn shop would be right next to the shops at Twin Dragon, so coin sales could happen there). Here's what I edited:

Would this be fine for the Layo Economy: someone could walk in and take an item. In exchange they would leave items worth double the value of the item they took; It would be a barter system. I'd have a general price list on the forums for standard items, and all non-standard items would be valued by the Pricing Lens.

Mooneyes

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:30:26 pm »
I have labeled my rapiers but Keela was given a bow and I wondered if it can be labeled by someone.  Perhaps the one that gave it? Thanks  ahead of time :)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 02:53:30 pm »
I'm trying to recall, but I kind of think weapon titling only works on melee weapons... if I can get a confirmation of that, I'll update LORE.

Guardian 452

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:41:21 pm »
I asked about having Rangers be able to label bows a year or so ago.

http://forums.layonara.com/nwn-ideas-suggestions-requests/262502-ranged-weapon-adding-title.html

At that time only GM's could label a bow / ranged weapon. I beleive this is still the case.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 03:57:54 pm »
Right, [LORE]Weapon Titling[/LORE] has been updated to reflect that it currently only works with melee weapons.

Mooneyes

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »
Soooo...are gm's approachable to have this done?  Appt? :)

Guardian 452

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:47:27 pm »
I saw a item engraving stand set up in Center. I beleive Alatriel was doing that.

http://forums.layonara.com/rumour-has/284001-missys-fine-engravings.html

Mooneyes

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 05:49:01 pm »
Hmmm, Keela will need to seek out that stand...

Thanks

Serissa

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:02 pm »
The Angels have not had a further problem with coin disappearing since they made a firm rule not to put more than 50,000 coins in a chest.  More than that is definitely unsafe, and the whole amount or any part of it may disappear.

Ferrit

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:07 pm »
I updated [LORE]Bank Vaults[/LORE] not long back to reflect the nature of storing gold in chests.

anything